Thread: How is a kentucky km140 outperforming a Loar LM600

Default How is a kentucky km140 outperforming a Loar LM600

I just received a Loar lm600 in the mail today. Setup the string action but that was it as far as maintenance as of right now. As far as the tone and volume goes I'm a bit disappointed. When played next to my friends km140 that I'm borrowing it's maybe half the volume of it. Maybe one would call the loar a more focused sound? The kentucky does seem unruly where the loar seems to be pretty balanced overall. Also the loar already has a K&K installed which is a plus, but my main concern is volume and getting that "woody" sound. Does anyone think that upgrades like strings, bridge, and setup could help overall with the problems I'm seeing with this mandolin? I'm just shocked a mandolin at more than double the price and made from all solid woods (unlike the kentucky which I believe is laminate) is the inferior instrument.

Blog Entries

Default Re: How is a kentucky km140 outperforming a Loar LM600

First thing I would check based on your post is the bridge fit. If you can slide a piece of paper under any part of the bridge 'feet', it hasn't been fitted properly. You can learn how to fit a bridge from Rob Meldrum's setup book or you can take it to a good luthier to do it. Also, if the mandolin is brand new, the strings are probably junk, so put on a new set.
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

Set up, Set up, Set up!

It's new to me but not new. From the serial number it looks to be from 2013, but to my feel these strings seem a bit light.

0 ~ 60 time in seconds ?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

There was a tread not very long ago about someone who had a Loar 600 and was disappointed. I think the changed to bridge to a Cumberland and did a setup and the difference was pretty big. You might try and search to find it and contact them?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Opinions differ on this but I always feel like my spouse top mandolins "fall asleep" after a while if not played. Try playing it for an hour or two and see if it opens up.

Id also change the strings. You never know what might be on there and how long they have been there... strings go dead.

Also, most instruments need some time to adjust to a new atmosphere. Its usually recommended not to unbox for 24hrs.

Yea after checking it out with a strait edge it definitely has some high frets, what feels like light gauge strings or at least on the lighter side, and the only string that seems to be less in volume is the G which is surprising to me. Also this thing still smells like a fresh instrument (That fresh cut wood smell) so I'm pretty confident in saying 2013 or not this thing has not been played much if at all. Like they put a k&k in it and then it was never taken out again. So if what y'all are saying is accurate, which I'm sure it is, this girl will be a player after I take it to my luthier. Might just get that CA bridge too while I'm at it. What strings would y'all suggest? I've ready the tried and true j74's work on em. Anyone have any experiences with ghs ls250 bronze?

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmancincy View Post
    What strings would y'all suggest? I've ready the tried and true j74's work on em. Anyone have any experiences with ghs ls250 bronze?
    I like GHS A270, John Pearse Phosphor Bronze Medium, or SIT Phosphor Bronze Medium. J74s work fine too.

I'm sure your carved, arch top could handle Heavy gauge just fine. I just recommend Medium gauge cause that's what I use.