Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin player crossing over to guitar

Default Mandolin player crossing over to guitar

Hey guys

So I bought a dreadnought guitar yesterday, and I really wish I had done it sooner. Been playing mandolin for about 10 years and I did take a couple years of guitar lessons when I was cub. When I was first learning mandolin, Mandozine and the tabledit files were absolutely integral to me learning the fretboard. It may not be the most academic way to go about it, but getting bit by the fiddle tune bug and being able to fire off said tunes really taught me the bluegrass language and got me familiar with the fretboard.

My question is this: is there a comparable place to find flatpick/crosspick guitar tablature? A guitar fiddle tune database if you will? Already sitting down and picking out of chord shapes is so much fun, I just want to have a bag full of guitar fills and runs like learning fiddle tunes on the mandolin gave me.

Default Re: Mandolin player crossing over to guitar

I'm not sure I ever saw anyone going from Mandolin to guitar here but there's a first for everything. Just remember, those four lower guitar strings are like a mandolin only upside down.

If I was in your shoes I'd buy a copy of Steve Kaufman's Four-Hour Bluegrass Workout for all Instruments. That should be like old home week for you.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

3. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Even more important than on mandolin

LEARN TO PLAY RHYTHM AND ACCOMPANIMENT!

Before you start learning fills and lead learn to play basic open chord shapes C, A, G, E, D and F and how to use a capo if you are playing fiddle tunes and bluegrass. Get your basic strums and rhythm patterns down cold. You will spend 80 or 90 percent of your time accompanying and playing rhythm. There is an art to it and way too much bad accompaniment out there. Many guitarists have been badly embarrassed by coming in to a hot fiddle tune jam and suddenly realizing they cannot back up the hot fiddle tune they worked so hard on and were going to impress everyone with.

Most of the fills come out of the chord shapes anyway and good lead playing is an extension of the accompaniment. The tunes themselves follow the chord structure.
    So much guitar playing is founded on chords and chord shapes, including a lot of the improvisation and scale forms. That is more true than on mandolin. Even playing in advanced jazz styles like Django Reinhardt is built a lot out of arpeggios and chord forms.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarlM For This Useful Post:

Check out Banjo Ben's site, if you join it's like a 2-fer as you can access mando resources as well.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

7. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    ...Just remember, those four lower guitar strings are like a mandolin only upside down...
    Actually, I would advise to completely forget that those four strings are like a mandolin, but upside down...
    "Keep your hat on, we may end up miles from here..." - Kurt Vonnegut

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Well .... learning to play good rhythm with the associated kickoffs and walks leading to the next chord is the place to start any flatpick journey. There is a site Flatpick Hangout where some free TAB is available and much is discussed on how to. Enjoy the journey. R/ http://https://www.flatpickerhangout.com/tab/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

10. The following members say thank you to UsuallyPickin for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Winn View Post
    Actually, I would advise to completely forget that those four strings are like a mandolin, but upside down...
    Gosh, and 90% of the guitar players that came here over the years always said that the mandolin was just a little guitar upside down. Now you tell me they were wrong? Why wasn't I informed? By the way, that was a joke.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

12. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Gosh, and 90% of the guitar players that came here over the years always said that the mandolin was just a little guitar upside down. Now you tell me they were wrong? Why wasn't I informed? By the way, that was a joke.
    I’m sure most of us picked up on the tongue-in-cheek, I thought it was pretty funny.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

And my response was meant as the second punchline to the same joke.... obviously, it missed...

River Grass. I admire your drive. I have played mandolin over a decade and decided to buy a guitar this year. I took it back within 5 days. I just couldn't get my head around 6 strings, 4ths, etc. I did finally buy a tenor guitar which I am enjoying. I really admire you for taking on guitar. All the best to you. I have given some thought to setting up my tenor in 4ths to try learning on 4 strings rather than 6. Sort of a back door approach to learning guitar. I did read somewhere about an open tuning, "Chicago Tuning" that was akin to the high 4 strings on a standard guitar. Not sure if I will try that. I will do a little more reading.
    Michael A. Harris
    the dulcILLINI
    Collings MF5 Mandolin
    Collings MT2 Mandola
    McSpadden Custom Mountain Dulcimer
    KLOS Carbon Fiber Travel Guitar
    "Home is the place we grow up wanting to leave and die trying to get back to." Nash

Like probably thousands of others here, I've played guitar for decades since I was a young kid (I'm an old kid now, at 65), and only in recent years discovered the joy of mandolin. I have some advice about long-time mandolinists seeking to play guitar late in the game.

1. Don't worry about the funky tuning or scales or theory at first, instead, just look up some chord fingerings and practice strumming and singing songs! It will take plenty of time and practice to get the chords under your fingers and learn to make smooth transitions, keeping time, so have patience, and stick with this.

2. Down the road ... you will want to learn boom-chick with the bass note and strum patterns. Practice some bass runs and rhythms. Get your rhythm playing down very well.

3. If you can do the above, start thinking about the notes in your chords, and start learning a few scales. Maybe then start learning to pick a few tunes.

The guitar is certainly worth investing your time in. It is the most popular musical instrument. It is capable of rich, full accompaniments. You cant tackle it all at once. It is enough for a beginner guitarist to get his head and fingers around learning some chord fingerings and practicing changes in the context of songs.

- YouTube Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by CarlM View Post
    Even more important than on mandolin

LEARN TO PLAY RHYTHM AND ACCOMPANIMENT!

Before you start learning fills and lead learn to play basic open chord shapes C, A, G, E, D and F and how to use a capo if you are playing fiddle tunes and bluegrass. Get your basic strums and rhythm patterns down cold. You will spend 80 or 90 percent of your time accompanying and playing rhythm. There is an art to it and way too much bad accompaniment out there.
    CarlM is spot on. If you want to play guitar you can do it. Take baby steps. I feel strongly about what I wrote above, just learn some chords, learn to strum and change the chords in time and sing or have someone sing as you play.

It may not be the only way or even the best way to learn, it is one approach. Let's call it "campfire guitar method" to beginning. Learn chords and play songs that are fun for you. Get decent at that, then build from there wherever you want to go.

- YouTube Stuff

+1 on Carl and Mark's recommendations.

No one will care (much) if you can play the melody to Whiskey Before Breakfast perfectly if you can't play the chords properly.

It's the bluegrass version of the guy who can only play the opening to 'Stairway'...

I went down the same path. Played guitar a bit as a teenager (not bluegrass) and started flatpicking after I had been playing mandolin for a while. Mike Stangeland, who contributed a lot of tabs to the TablEdit collection on Mandozine, also tabbed out a lot of fiddle tunes for guitar using TablEdit. You can find them here.

IMHO the best thing to do once you start getting comfortable with the guitar fingerboard is to start transferring all the fiddle tunes that you already know on the mandolin over to guitar by ear.

21. The following members say thank you to Peewee for this post:

Like most mando players, I came to the instrument with some experience as a guitar picker. I only play the mando now. But would love to play the guitar too, there's even one still in the house . . . my problem is the dramatic difference in the neck size and the fret spacing. I can still play the guitar, easily make all the chords, inc the bars, etc. But if I play the guitar for any length of time, even an hour, when I come back to my real love, it feels weird and I find that for a short period of time, I don't hit the notes cleanly, usually both over shooting the fret and reaching too far for the next string. Just can't naturally make the instant adjustment in the left hand. I've learned that with my limited time and talent, it's better for me to stick to one. Just a personal dedication to the mando and trying to push my limits there I guess. But I really admire those that master both or many for that matter. Must be nice.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dillon View Post
    Like most mando players, I came to the instrument with some experience as a guitar picker. I only play the mando now. But would love to play the guitar too, there's even one still in the house . . . my problem is the dramatic difference in the neck size and the fret spacing. I can still play the guitar, easily make all the chords, inc the bars, etc. But if I play the guitar for any length of time, even an hour, when I come back to my real love, it feels weird and I find that for a short period of time, I don't hit the notes cleanly, usually both over shooting the fret and reaching too far for the next string. Just can't naturally make the instant adjustment in the left hand. I've learned that with my limited time and talent, it's better for me to stick to one. Just a personal dedication to the mando and trying to push my limits there I guess. But I really admire those that master both or many for that matter. Must be nice.
    My mandolins dont feel cramped after playing guitar.... but my guitar feels huge after playing mandolin. I've found that thinking, just being aware, that both instruments are different (the way I hold and fret them) makes a big difference.

Also, for comfort reasons I sold my dreadnought for an 00 size. It helps too and my shoulder doesn't feel it as much.

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

In a reverse of what I usually say - 'It's not a big mandolin'. Its responses are different, its capabilities are different, its tone is different. You can actually use a lot of mando technique on the guitar. But learn it as a new instrument.

And learn rhythm and accompaniment first. (As @CarlM said)
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Blog Entries

My biggest problem is going back and forth from diatonic fingering on the mandolin to chromatic fingering on the guitar. It twists my brain up
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

As a long-time guitar player (mostly fingerstyle) and now a mandolin aficionado, I’ve found the solution to dealing with the different neck sizes is to purchase, besides the diminutive mandolin, is a mandola, an octave mandolin, and a mandocello or two (this is why I drive a 26 year old truck!). In this way, your brain is not confused by the size of the neck, but only the number and placement of the strings! I find it a good mental exercise to learn a tune on one instrument then figure it out on the other. One of the very cool things about learning music is the opportunity to mess around with all kinds of musical instruments; it just takes a bit of time to figure out an instrument’s architecture. I’m currently restoring a 1925 Conn saxophone - hoping to take it in for new pads soon. Good thing I played clarinet in junior high (middle school, for you younger folks).

27. The following members say thank you to Denis Kearns for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peewee View Post
    I went down the same path. Played guitar a bit as a teenager (not bluegrass) and started flatpicking after I had been playing mandolin for a while. Mike Stangeland, who contributed a lot of tabs to the TablEdit collection on Mandozine, also tabbed out a lot of fiddle tunes for guitar using TablEdit. You can find them here.

IMHO the best thing to do once you start getting comfortable with the guitar fingerboard is to start transferring all the fiddle tunes that you already know on the mandolin over to guitar by ear.

Interesting site. I lookde up Beaumont Rag in the traditional key of F. No sound to the MIDI and the strangest key signature I've ever seen: two sharps for the key of F. One bar has the notes a# a bb in succession.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Interesting site. I lookde up Beaumont Rag in the traditional key of F. No sound to the MIDI and the strangest key signature I've ever seen: two sharps for the key of F. One bar has the notes a# a bb in succession.
    I rarely use TablEdit these days, but I opened it in TablEdit and the free TEFview (both on Windows) and the MIDI played fine. Technical issue, I guess. You're right about the key signature. It's obviously a transposing mistake. Guitarists typically play it in the key of D and he forgot to change the key signature, so the tablature is correct, but the notation is bizarre. Changing the key signature is an easy fix in TablEdit. I think it's an aberration though and there aren't many mistakes in the transcriptions/arrangements.

I rarely use TablEdit these days, but I opened it in TablEdit and the free TEFview (both on Windows) and the MIDI played fine. Technical issue, I guess. You're right about the key signature. It's obviously a transposing mistake. Guitarists typically play it in the key of D and he forgot to change the key signature, so the tablature is correct, but the notation is bizarre. Changing the key signature is an easy fix in TablEdit. I think it's an aberration though and there aren't many mistakes in the transcriptions/arrangements.
    This is just the type of issue that Ralph recently was posting about in another thread. The fault does not lie with the software, but rather with the author, who made an error in failing to choose correct key signature in the program. As Peewee says, easy to resolve for a user by simply correcting the key signature and saving the file.

- YouTube Stuff

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

ABSOLUTELY! It's ALL ONE BIG INSTRUMENT. And that instrument is your brain, folks!

In spite of the different neck length, register, and tuning/fingering, I would say going mandolin>guitar is a lot friendlier than mandolin>fiddle. Physically, than hands and fingers are doing essentially the same thing on guitar as on mandos. But, you put that bow in your other hand, that in itself outweighs having the same LH fingerings in the difficulties.

At the outset, I would say...just play the guitar as a "big mandolin in a alternate tuning". Start playing ALL tune tunes you know on mandolin on guitar, and stay away from notation and tab. Your brain already knows them. Just follow your ear...the brain will sort out the "translation" (onto the new neck) on its own!. The various fingerboard patterns/scale will start to transfer over intuitively and it gets easier and easier to find the tunes on the new neck.

After some time, you will start to play the guitar more and more like a guitar, but why start from start/square 1 when you can take a guitar detour from mando exit #7?

Why do you think mandolin playing by doubling non-mando "primaries" (instruments) is so interesting? Ian Anderson, Martin Carthy, Ry Cooder, David Lindley, Richard Thompson, Johnny Winter, Steve Earle, etc. It's because they are just adapting what they do on their main instrument onto a mandolin!

(Classical flute players, until more recently, would rag on Ian Anderson and criticize his playing - but the thing they could never seem to figure out was that he was going for something totally different!...so much of Ian's early stuff was obviously electric blues guitar and blues harmonica lines put onto flute. That prissy classical articulation and tone would have sounded ridiculous in a rock setting!)

Same thing might be said of the "real" pedal steel players dissing Jerry Garcia's steel playing. If they were so effing great.....why couldn't they think up Jerry's "Teach Your Children" solo that they would often rag on?

I've messed with my own neural wiring for decades.... playing organ bass pedals and drums with my feet under a mandolin. Playing mandolin & tenor banjo (and a bit of electric bass) left-handed on left-handed instruments. And it does stretch your brain; you can physically feel it. And when I took up flute, I did it by playing simple tunes I already knew on other instruments, and that instrument has always "followed the ear" because of the intial data downloading's. So when I say, "expand your brain and your hands will follow", I know it is true from first-hand experience. (Or you can ask someone like Ry Cooder, or Lindley...)

The idea that every instrument should be kept in its own little pigeonhole and played without influence from other instruments is so fallacious.

PUT YOUR EAR IN CHARGE!

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandocrucian For This Useful Post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dulcillini View Post
    River Grass. I admire your drive. I have played mandolin over a decade and decided to buy a guitar this year. I took it back within 5 days. I just couldn't get my head around 6 strings, 4ths, etc. I did finally buy a tenor guitar which I am enjoying. I really admire you for taking on guitar. All the best to you. I have given some thought to setting up my tenor in 4ths to try learning on 4 strings rather than 6. Sort of a back door approach to learning guitar. I did read somewhere about an open tuning, "Chicago Tuning" that was akin to the high 4 strings on a standard guitar. Not sure if I will try that. I will do a little more reading.
    By contrast:

Several years ago on a hike in the Pyrenees I shared a hut with a Spanish couple. The man was a musician, with guitar and tenor saxophone as his main instruments. Of course he couldn't carry these instruments in the mountain so he brought a flute and a ukulele, tuned in the same intervals as the four highest strings of a guitar. I found it very difficult to play. The short scale had me thinking mandolin.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m a bit surprised that there’s so little in this thread about the technique on the respective instruments. Here are my thoughts after 63 years of guitar and 53 (off and on) on mandolin.

As for the fretting hand I often say that I approach the two instruments with exactly the same attitude. Actual differences are an automatic consequence of the geometry of either instrument.

The basic rule, of course, is the hand is there to stop the strings, not to support the instrument. You don’t hold or grab the neck. Secure the guitar in place, on one knee, or using a strap, then bring your fretting hand to the neck and start playing. The thumb will land land lower on the neck because the neck is wider. For the same reason the fingers will meet the fretboard almost parallell to the frets. I stress the word “will”; you don’t place your fingers or thumb here or there, they will simply land where they land.

As for the right hand, one important factor is that the strings on a flattop guitar are closer to the top than on a carved top mandolin. I’ve found that many flatpickers, e.g., David Grier, rest the wrist of the picking hand (lightly) on the bridge. I prefer brushing lightly across the pickguard with slightly curled fingers — that seems to be the most common technique, one that really has no counterpart on a mandolin without pickguard, at east not to someone with small hands.

A completely free right hand is very rare, the only example I can think of is Barney Kessel, on electric. To me least, a strong rest stroke is essential on an acoustic, at least in rhythm playing. I believe that’s very hard to execute with a free playing hand.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    ...ukulele, tuned in the same intervals as the four highest strings of a guitar. I found it very difficult to play. The short scale had me thinking mandolin.
    You could try a charango - much wider neck - for a closer gtr analog.

Another way to challenge your senses is with an oud - very similar to gtr, yet with a very narrow neck width - kind of a cross between a gtr and a mndln. Oud may be an easier transition for a mndln player - if one can get on with a fretless instrument (you also use a free-floating picking hand).