Thread: Gypsy Jazz stylez tenor

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Gypsy Jazz stylez tenor

Local maker to me... Alex Bishop (I'm connected to him on social media but NFI)

For those who love the idea of a tenor with a soundhole that makes it irksome to fit a magnetic pickup in... :lol:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tenors.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	190402

https://www.alexbishopguitars.com/si...itars-and-more
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lord of the Badgers For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gypsy Jazz stylez tenor

Ah, the grande bouche! I have an Earnest Selma tenor made for me by Joel Eckhaus from some excellent koa I gave him. Petit bouche!

As for a pickup, I would guess an internal microphone or some internal pickup might work nicely, despite the big mouth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SelmaFTBK.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	210.2 KB 
ID:	190403
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Dec-09-2020 at 1:32pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Jim, that is beautiful!
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Thanks and it sounds great, too. In fact I need to play it right now... or soon.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks for this post. I've been looking at the hole in my collection that would be filled with a gypsy-style tenor. For those of you who have them: what thinks you about how different they may be (in sound characteristics, etc.) from a period archtop jazz tenor? I have a very nice 1935 Gibson TGL-7, and wondering if I REALLY need to look for a gypsy tenor!

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

ya see, they just don't do it for me - esp as Alex has them with the old grande bouche. But he does make a lovely electric six string which he ought to make as a tenor ... maybe one day.... and his craftmanship is wonderful - so tho it's not my thing; I can totally appreciate his work!

Purpose of my post was to bring him to your attention - those that like the old gypsy jazz style clearly there are fans! I wasn't serious re:pickups...

I like yours though Jim! that's real nice
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website