Thread: If I can build an archtop guitar, can I build an A-style mandolin

Default If I can build an archtop guitar, can I build an A-style mandolin

A friend of mine asked me to help her find a nice used mandolin for her son (grown, plays guitar, wants to branch out but doesn't play mandolin yet). Not a common instrument around here, looking on line isn't finding anything interesting, so I thought I would make one. I make fully carved archtop guitars normally, in a traditional style. I figure an A style mandolin, from a technique point of view, is kind of like a small, round archtop guitar, so if I research things like neck joint, graduation of top and back, tone-bar bracing I should be able to make one. Any thoughts on this kind of idea? Is there something exotically mandolin-ish that I'm missing? I have an A-style 1930's Kay with a pressed top that I would kind of emulate.

Thanks, Brian

Default Re: If I can build an archtop guitar, can I build an A-style mand

I’m not a builder, so will refrain from commenting about the similarities/differences between arch top guitars and mandolins. But, as someone who will probably one day give it a try, I know that there are Loar specs/plans available from our own HoGo, for sale at Elderly, and Roger Siminoff’s book is a classic...
    Chuck

A-5 plans from Stewart Macdonald...

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tool...olin-plan.html

James Condino also drew up a set of plans for a Gibson oval holed "Snake head" mandolin.

https://luth.org/instrument-plans/mandolin-family/
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

4. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

You've pretty much figured it out judging by your post.
    The concept is very similar between the two instruments, your experience with archtops will translate pretty well, but you'll have to do a little research in the neck joint and typical thicknesses and the other things you mentioned. There is nothing "mandomagical" that you will need to know.
    Rather than using your Kay for a model, I'd say use something a little more typical of hand construction. You can get some good info from the Siminoff mandolin construction book, and you're free to ignore the parts that don't apply. Perhaps you already have the Benedetto archtop guitar book. I've applied some of that to mandolin building... and...
    There is this board. People here are usually happy to answer questions and help people out with their projects.

I don't know if you are aware but some builders build guitar bodied mandolins in addition to their regular ones...

http://www.apitiusmandolins.com/Mode...%20X%20800.jpg

After you build an A model it might be cool to scale down one of your archtop guitars.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Yes, you have all of the skills you need, but..... I started out as a guitar builder and had been doing that for about 20 years before making the jump over to mandolins. It took a long time to understand that a mandolin is not simply a little guitar; it is much more than that and has its own characteristics, specifics, and learning curves.

One more thing: guitar bodied octave mandolins kick @$$ !!!! You won't regret making one!

Feel free to call the shop if you'd like to chat it up a bit about the guitar builder to mandolin builder transition...
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Evans View Post
    Not a common instrument around here, looking on line isn't finding anything interesting, so I thought I would make one.
    I am just curious where "around here" is and why there are few mandolins. You must be in somewhere pretty exotic.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I live in Nova Scotia. There are some great mandolin's available, a Weber for example, and some entry level laminated far-east imports, but I was hoping for a middle range solid carved top kind of instrument, the kind that is a keeper for a mid-level player. One good for more than just learning a few chords.

Blog Entries

Get Graham McDonald's book "The Mandolin Project A Workshop Guide to Building Four Styles of Mandolin", although be sure the copy you order contains the paper plans. He is super helpful like all builders on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by SBJ View Post
    Get Graham McDonald's book "The Mandolin Project A Workshop Guide to Building Four Styles of Mandolin", although be sure the copy you order contains the paper plans. He is super helpful like all builders on this forum.
    Graham now sends out the plans electronically, which works great. I can print the whole thing full scale at an office supply, allowing templates to be made easily.

Thanks so much for all the replies. For some reason I don't build with plans, the most I do is a full size sketch so that I can build the body mold. I don't know why, I think it's part and parcel of a learning disability I've had since I was a kid. I do poorly when I try to follow directions or get taught something, I do far better if I teach myself things I need to know.

I do have a question. My mandolin, a late 1930's Kay (labeled Paramount, probably built for the Lange Banjo distributors) has a very thin neck. It is 1 3/32" nut width, and string spacing outside to outside of 29/32" (tad under 7/8"). Is there something about mandolin playing that I don't understand that means this is critical, or could I go to a 1.25" wide neck with 1" string spacing? I am looking for info in the database, but my search keywords seem to suck...

...For some reason I don't build with plans, the most I do is a full size sketch so that I can build the body mold...
    I do the same. I've only built directly from plans twice that I can remember and those were for specific reasons. I do own some mandolin and guitar drawings and books, and I refer to them often. It is good to have info at hand.

14. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Thanks so much for all the replies. For some reason I don't build with plans, the most I do is a full size sketch so that I can build the body mold. I don't know why, I think it's part and parcel of a learning disability I've had since I was a kid. I do poorly when I try to follow directions or get taught something, I do far better if I teach myself things I need to know.

I do have a question. My mandolin, a late 1930's Kay (labeled Paramount, probably built for the Lange Banjo distributors) has a very thin neck. It is 1 3/32" nut width, and string spacing outside to outside of 29/32" (tad under 7/8"). Is there something about mandolin playing that I don't understand that means this is critical, or could I go to a 1.25" wide neck with 1" string spacing? I am looking for info in the database, but my search keywords seem to suck...
    On the neck width, you should get some answers from actual players. It partly relates to type of music, that is chord-heavy and strum-heavy versus melody. Just like guitars. This also relates to fretboard curvature. On the concern about plans, I’ve worked with more than a few people who work by themselves by preference, and a lot more people who only feel good in a team with distinct leadership. And fixed plans. Built-in human differences. Thank goodness there’s room for everyone!