Thread: glitch on guitar ad; do your math

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Default glitch on guitar ad; do your math

I do not want to criticize sellers in general. Everybody thinks their instrument is special. You may think that you have the really big thing to sell.

I also do not want to criticize buyers. Everybody wants to buy a 20ies Gibson F-5 at a garage sale for 20 bucks.

There is one thing though. Sometimes a seller may make a mistake representing their guitar (or mandolin, or banjo or flute or bagpipes) in an ad.

I saw this in the classifieds. The picture does not match the advertized guitar. The video does not represent the advertized guitar and does not represent the guitar in the picture. I also do not want to bash anyone. Maybe itīs a mistake by an employee. Maybe itīs a bad day. Maybe itīs because your dog coughed on the computer. Whatever... (and I really like sellerīs website and the sellerīs videos by a well respected luthier/repairman).

What I mean is this:

You are interested in an instrument.

Letīs say you are interested in a Gibson Master Model. That is, you do not want an F-9 (lower price and whatever). You also do not aspire to buy a Gibson F-5L (pricier than an F-9 but lower than a MM = Master Model).

You see an ad (on Reverb; on Gbase; here etc.). The ad proclaims an F-5 Master Model. You pounce on it and buy it. But what you find out is that the nomenclature for a Master Model changed over time and that a 1970ies Master Model ("crappy") is not as well regarded as a 1990ies F-5L "Master Model" (well accepted) or even a 2000s Master Model (even better, especially if itīs a Charlie Derrington MM - god rest his soul). So, did you really get what you wanted?

If you do your math you will find out. You will know that a Derrington MM is held in higher regard than a Derrington F-5L and much more than an F-5G or an F-9 ... if only from the price point. But it matters.

There is the scarce situation when you may want something (letīs say a certain guitar) and the ad is announcing the very guitar type you want (without it showing the guitar that you are aspiring to buy). This road will lead to disappointment or irritation on both sides if the communication is not straight to the point and if you are not savvy enough to inquire about defining features of the instrument that you would like to buy.

Especially if it concerns "vintage" or rather "old" instruments, know defining features such as
    - headstock shapes
    - logos (shape, fonts, color etc.)
    - bindings (color, material etc.)
    - bridge shapes (in guitar f.ex. straight bridge vs. belly up bridge vs. belly down bridge etc.)
    - bridge placement (in mandolins the bridge with respect to the f-holes is crucial)
    - long neck vs. short neck (like remodeled vintage Gibson F-7 mandolins that had their necks replaced)
    - materials (vintage mandolins with mahogany necks vs. maple necks; sitka spruce tops vs. engleman/red spruce tops)

If you do your math, if you stay informed, buyer and seller will eventually wind up on the same page. Other than that, miscommunication is imminent.

Rant over. Happy hunting. (I sent the seller an email by the way)
    Olaf

Default Re: glitch on guitar ad; do your math

May I suggest having a cocktail?

3. The following members say thank you to Rich Benson for this post: