Thread: Adrian Gross - Ashland Breakdown

Default Adrian Gross - Ashland Breakdown

G’day,

Here's the Bill Monroe classic Ashland Breakdown on my trusty 1917 Gibson mandola. As far as playability, tone and general-ability-to-express-myself-on-an-instrument goes, this may be my favourite instrument I’ve ever owned. You can play anything on it - it’s a deeply traditional and a profoundly modern instrument, all at once. You can feel the history, but it never holds you back. It has a full and resonant bass that really allows you to feel what you’re playing, and it feels and sounds great up and down the whole neck. Gibson really knew what they were doing back then.

We’ve all become solo mandolin players since Covid hit, and I’ve spent a lot of my time at home exploring how to make a mandolin sound as full as possible. I’ll sit with tunes and think about how to arrange them, and have generally tried to stick as many chords, open strings and double stops into my playing as possible. All my work doing this on the arranged portions of the tunes has also really seeped into my improvising. Though truth be told, I always end up doing my best arranging by just playing the song over and over, and figuring out what should happen when in real time. After a while, the line between the pre-arranged and improv sections starts to blur.

Songs in the key of C can be tricky mandolin pieces (especially solo), but they sit perfectly on the mandola (played out of G position), and allow for open strings galore to fill out the sound. If you’ve got a mandola lying around, this is a fun tune to dive into.

Soon after getting my first mandolin, someone told me to check out "Kenny Baker Plays Bill Monroe," which they described as the "best instrumental bluegrass record of all time." It's been a favourite ever since, and you could make a pretty good case to back up that claim, though I have too many favourites to pick just one. Every track on there is a gem, but this one always stands out as perfect example of how much joy and bounce a bluegrass band can have.

Thanks for tuning in, share what you think below, and stay safe out there,

Adrian

Last edited by Adrian Gross; Dec-03-2020 at 3:38pm.
    Adrian Gross
    http://slocanramblers.com/
    https://adriangross.ca/
    tiny.cc/NewMorning

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Gross For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Adrian Gross - Ashland Breakdown

Nice to hear a favorite of mine played a fellow who can really play. Look forward to seeing your band again down the road.

Thanks for sharing.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Good job !

Nice!
    I was working that on mandola as well, was never really happy with my fingering on the 3rd section... but you have inspired me to give it another go!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

Great job and great surroundings as well.
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

NEAT!

I dare you some other Bill Monroe tunes. How about some "Old Ebenezer Scrooge" or better some "Melissa’s Waltz for J.B." (but without getting nervous with the first notes), or my alltime favorite "Evening Prayer Blues" (check out the fiddle version by Kevin Burke or the guitar version by Kathy Barwick on youtube...).

You may as well sing some (Catfish John ...). The mandola goes well with the male voice. Letīs hear it.

Cheers.
    Olaf

Great pickin', Adrian. Ashland Breakdown has been one of my favorites for almost 30 years. Aside from Kenny Baker's wonderful rendition, I absolutely love Monroe's recording from the mid '70s with twin fiddles (Baker & Stuart, if I remember correctly) and lovely mandolin break.

Thanks tmsweeney! I always find the third section the trickiest, the melody has so many weaves and turns. But it lays out nicely on mandola in two octaves, and sounds very cool on the low C string. Good luck!
    Adrian Gross
    http://slocanramblers.com/
    https://adriangross.ca/
    tiny.cc/NewMorning