Thread: Does anyone have a PDF of E-Mando plans??

Default Does anyone have a PDF of E-Mando plans??

I'm building my first 8 string mandolin and I need some plans for a rough guide of size and scale. I've built many guitars and basses and I have a specific style in mind but I don't know about body size and neck length. Anyone help me out, please?

Default Re: Does anyone have a PDF of E-Mando plans??

I found various guitar drawings that I printed off and used as my template.
    For the neck in particular the fretboard I used fret2find iirc you can put in all your sizes nut bridge etc (it doesn’t do eight strings so I used four) it gives you a PDF you can print to scale. I stick it on my fretboard and cut the frets through the lines. It’s very accurate
    What shape are you looking at using?

The shape is going to be a scaled down Les Paul. So far I've calculated the body will be 10 x 13.75. I ordered a slotted ebony fingerboard from LMII with a 13 7/8" scale so I can probably figure the rest of it when that arrives. Just wondering how long the neck blank should be etc.

I built mine with 19 frets with a bolt on neck the blank was maybe six inches longer than the fretboard. If you are using four on a plate tuners then you need a couple of inches between them and the nut plus maybe half an inch after them. Are you going for a wrap around bridge or using a tailpiece and floating one?

This is the fretboard template tool. It will give you an accurate shape to work from. http://www.ekips.org/tools/guitar/fretfind2d/

I'm going to try and use the Gotoh 12 string bridge and eliminating the two outside saddles.

I'm going with a zero fret on the board.

Thanks, useful stuff there.

I believe I used this site https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.e...templates/amp/ for my SG solid bodied five string octave and the four string mando. My daughter has tuned as a Uke as the nut is too wide for me.

Edit to add url
    Last edited by sonic; Dec-01-2020 at 5:38pm.

This seems reasonable, anyone used one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 5.27.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	288.1 KB 
ID:	190162

Buy Melvyn Hiscocks book "Building and Electric Guitar". It will walk you through the building process.

Well, here's just some of the guitars I've built from scratch, I'm pretty confident with the process.

Name:	guitars.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	190164

Name:	C995F1E2-B168-4202-B265-56BBBA1FFC2B.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	713.3 KB 
ID:	190169
    This is the last one I built, solid body with a piezo in the bridge and the magnetic pickup.
    My first the SG five string I used a guitar building book for reference it is effectively a scale down version of a six string guitar.

12. The following members say thank you to sonic for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman View Post
    Well, here's just some of the guitars I've built from scratch, I'm pretty confident with the process.
    You should take a look at the ones that Andrew Jerman makes. They are excellent.

http://www.crossroadswood.com/index.html
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by Englishman View Post

Name:	guitars.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	190164
    Very nice. I guess I'm not sure why you'd be asking for plans with your obvious skill set. I don't know of any electric mandolin plans on the market. You might start with a flat top acoustic mandolin plan and draw your body on it. My approach was to take the dimensions off an acoustic instrument that I felt comfortable with, scale a guitar body down to those dimensions then figure out where you want the fretboard to join the body and you're all set. Almost all my instruments are based on a single scale length and fret joint location which will determine the bridge location. I build a batch of necks at a time then put them on whatever body that a customer requests.