Thread: Free stuff for Celtic mandolin Learners

Default Free stuff for Celtic mandolin Learners

Hi Folks

Just adding a link to my site where I'm doing a 'Tune of the Week' with audio files and notation (and TAB) for all parts, harmonies and chord sequences for bouzouki and guitar.
    I've added my Mandolin for Complete Beginners (free) and will be adding more over the next few months - until this damned virus is out of the way and I can get back to something approaching normality.

To mods: there is nothing for sale on my site.

www.thecelticmandolin.co.uk (not '.com' which will bring you to some weird site).

John

2. The following members say thank you to clachanmusic for this post:

Default Re: Free stuff for Celtic mandolin Learners

Your site looks interesting, John. A lot of work has been put into it.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

4. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Registered User Mandolin Deep Cuts's Avatar

I really like your site and am enjoying the deep dive for intermediate players Thank you

6. The following members say thank you to Mandolin Deep Cuts for this post:

John, thanks for posting this. My maternal Grandmother came from the Shetlands via Edinburgh in 1917. She died when I was quite young. My oldest cousin recalls asking her to speak in the Gaelic, and my Grandfather (who was French Canadian) discouraging it, as it made her homesick. Now that I've taken up the mandolin, I've been thinking of trying to get in touch with this Celtic heritage, and your beginner stuff looks like a good place to start.

8. The following members say thank you to Sue Rieter for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    John, thanks for posting this. My maternal Grandmother came from the Shetlands via Edinburgh in 1917. She died when I was quite young. My oldest cousin recalls asking her to speak in the Gaelic, and my Grandfather (who was French Canadian) discouraging it, as it made her homesick. Now that I've taken up the mandolin, I've been thinking of trying to get in touch with this Celtic heritage, and your beginner stuff looks like a good place to start.
    That's puzzling, as the Shetland Islands were never a Gaelic-speaking region. Perhaps your grandmother moved to the Shetlands from another area, or perhaps she was speaking in Shetland dialect. Throughout recorded history, Scotland had many cultures and languages in various regions, including: English, Old Norse, and other Germanic languages; a Celtic language related to Welsh; Pictish, which perhaps fits into the related-to-Welsh category; and Gaelic brought in by the Scotti, Irish people, and spoken mainly in the Highlands and Western Isles. Now, people speak "Scots" or "Scottish English", with different dialects of Scots Gaelic being spoken in a few regions. The Norse dominated the Shetlands for hundreds of years. Today, as I understand, Shetland language is an English dialect with elements of Norse. Some Scot can correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. Anyway, you have a mystery to solve. (Great fiddlers up there -- Aly Bain being only one.)

Here's what Wikipedia has to say:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shetland_dialect
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

10. The following members say thank you to Ranald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by clachanmusic View Post
    www.thecelticmandolin.co.uk (not '.com' which will bring you to some weird site).
    John:
    Very nice site. I have recommended it to a few friends already and plan an exploring it further.

You might check to see if there is a way to point your URL directly to the site. Right now it shows as Google as a host:
    https://sites.google.com/view/thecelticmandolin/home
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I can open the videos, but not the contents of the folders. They open, but that’s it. Is it my iPad?

Hi Jim
    It is actually a google hosted site and I've directed the URL to the site. I can't seem to get google or my domain company to help me make use of the domain, which should simply disguise the fact that it's a google site. However, maybe it isn't a problem if it's a google site except that the correct URL would make it look professional.

Thanks for the comment on the site. I hope to post a lot more stuff soon, and at least one intermediate (ish) tune every week. Your links are excellent - I'll be dabbling in few of those tunes myself. In recent years I've been trying to prepare resources for 'intermediate' players. I hope you find some use for the tunes I post.

John

Hi Mike
    Not sure why that is. I just tried it on someone else's iPad and I could open the PDFs but audio wouldn't play. Refreshing the page sometimes works. I'm not so up on the tech, thus I use an easy to build google site. Maybe it is possible that google wants us all to use their own browser, Chrome. Have a go at that and let me know what happens. I think the whole thing works on a desktop computer or laptop because I expect people download the stuff. Maybe I'll have to get a streaming system to work. Not sure how to do that. Maybe Soundcloud.
    John

Thanks John. Hope the stuff proves useful.
    John