Thread: Eastwood Classic Tenor - Experiences from other owners?

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Default Eastwood Classic Tenor - Experiences from other owners?

Hello all
    I have an Eastwood Classic tenor - it's shall we say, not quite up to the Warren Ellis models (others here will know what I mean I think) in quality control.
    The biggest issue by far for is the electrical buzzing - the usual thing - touch the metal and it goes. It's far too excessive and I did have the opportunity to replace (but I'm ridiculously disorganised and was gigging it lots then), so this is not a critique of Eastwood themselves - more their manufacturing plant's QC.
    Everything else is OK. they have much nicer neck width for a start...

I did read of someone I think on Facebook who got a luthier to sort it. But the guy I know who's an acknowledged musical tech repairer (amps, pedals, you name it) said he didn't want to go near it

Thoughts please? I like the instrument, I'd like to spend time on it over time to get better pups and a bigsby retrofitted but I need this sorted too.

I could try one of the various noise reduction pedals out there - there's some cheap little ones like the Donner that gets a good review online

South West UK if you have recommendations that aren't the super busy but super lovely Mr Waghorn.
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, 59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: 57 Gibson ETG-150, 80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website

Default Re: Eastwood Classic Tenor - Experiences from other owners?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    Hello all
    I have an Eastwood Classic tenor - it's shall we say, not quite up to the Warren Ellis models (others here will know what I mean I think) in quality control.
    The biggest issue by far for is the electrical buzzing - the usual thing - touch the metal and it goes. It's far too excessive and I did have the opportunity to replace (but I'm ridiculously disorganised and was gigging it lots then), so this is not a critique of Eastwood themselves - more their manufacturing plant's QC.
    Everything else is OK. they have much nicer neck width for a start...

I did read of someone I think on Facebook who got a luthier to sort it. But the guy I know who's an acknowledged musical tech repairer (amps, pedals, you name it) said he didn't want to go near it

Thoughts please? I like the instrument, I'd like to spend time on it over time to get better pups and a bigsby retrofitted but I need this sorted too.

I could try one of the various noise reduction pedals out there - there's some cheap little ones like the Donner that gets a good review online

South West UK if you have recommendations that aren't the super busy but super lovely Mr Waghorn.
    Hi - not from the UK and FWIW, I have an Eastwood mandocaster and I had good success with two upgrades. 1. I bought new pickups from Almuse in your own UK (pete@peteandsue.force9.co.uk). Pete is a great guy, asked me what my preferred setup is and added a few winds to the pickup to make it the way I wanted. I can't recall cost but it was entirely reasonable. I almost got them installed correctly but did an inadequate job of soldering so local luthier fixed my shoddy workmanship in 5 mins for free. 2. I bought gold foil (self-adhesive, from Stew Mac) and lined both cavities with it. This was very easy and even fun and took at most 30 minutes.

End result is no hum at all. I have a 1966 Fender VibroChamp amp and it's very very quiet.
    Girouard A5
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Fender Tenor Telecaster (GDAE)
    Collings O1A
    Martin OOO17-SM
    Paramount A Tenor Banjo
    Recording King Tenor Guitar

3. The following members say thank you to shaundeane for this post:

hi mate, cool. My other and most beloved manson electric (solid rather than semi) has started buzzing a bit and that's silver foil lined. I may get some of this foil; but don't know how that'd work on a semi.
    no expert... sounds like a plan to get allmuse or similar on the case. I'll look up their four pole offerings

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, 59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: 57 Gibson ETG-150, 80s Manson Kestrel
    My band's website

check the cable jack!
    2020 SRC Electric Octave Mandolin
    Crafter Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
    Surf City Octave Acoustic Mando
    Eastwood LP Tenor 4 String
    Epiphone Les Paul Ukulele
    Epiphone El Capitan Bass
    Epiphone 1924 Recording A Tenor Banjo
    Paramount 1929 Artcraft Tenor Banjo

According to the way you're explaining it, it sounds like you have a grounding problem.

The most common reason for this is the wire connecting the strings (via the bridge/tailpiece) to ground isn't happening for some reason.

Best test is to take your hands off the strings - if it buzzes then you have been the ground, meaning the wire either isn't connected or isn't there.

Other than that you're into making sure everything is grounded and soldered properly. It's not a big deal, you just need someone who knows what they're doing and it's usually a pretty easy fix. The complicating factor is you have no easy access to the controls on most archtops like that, so someone has to start fishing through f-holes for wires and pots.

Sometimes ungrounded pickup covers can also cause problems.

In short, they probably wired the pickups to the pots and output jack and didn't take a ground wire off the bridge/tailpiece/strings because that's too much work.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Harley Marty

I bought a classic tenor in the initial crowd funding period. Mine has an annoying rattle in the neck caused by trussrod being too loose. I purchased some kind of expanding solution that is would normally be injected into the loose dowel joints of antique furniture to expand the wood & then set. I injected this stuff down the trussrod hole but it had little effect. I vowed that I’d never buy an Eastwood guitar again! However I did relent & treated myself to a nice Astrojet from the classifieds but only after I tried it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Harley Marty View Post
    I bought a classic tenor in the initial crowd funding period. Mine has an annoying rattle in the neck caused by trussrod being too loose. I purchased some kind of expanding solution that is would normally be injected into the loose dowel joints of antique furniture to expand the wood & then set. I injected this stuff down the trussrod hole but it had little effect. I vowed that I’d never buy an Eastwood guitar again! However I did relent & treated myself to a nice Astrojet from the classifieds but only after I tried it first.
    the warren ellis models are a LOT better on quality control - perhaps the astrojet is korean made too (Eastwood's own admission to me).
    The classic was my first electric tenor - so i took the rough with the smooth until i got my manson.

I accepted most of its foibles, but the buzzing got too frustrating - i just probably need to find a really good electrics focussed guy in my area

My band's website

9. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Badgers View Post
    the warren ellis models are a LOT better on quality control - perhaps the astrojet is korean made too (Eastwood's own admission to me).
    The classic was my first electric tenor - so i took the rough with the smooth until i got my manson.

I accepted most of its foibles, but the buzzing got too frustrating - i just probably need to find a really good electrics focussed guy in my area
    That's unfortunate as it's the only Eastwood tenor I've fancied so far.

Here's a quick fix. If the buzzing goes away when you put your hand on the strings then you need to ground them. The easy way is to take a piece of wire (bared at both ends) and connect it to the tailpiece then to the output jack as per the red line.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eastwood_Guitars_Classic_Te.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	211.6 KB 
ID:	190400

Assuming the tailpiece and the output jack are conductive (if you touch the tailpiece and the buzzing goes away then it's conductive) this fix isn't pretty but at least you'll be able to play it until you get a tech to wire it properly.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Hey Verne - many thanks man - nice one

My band's website

12. The following members say thank you to Lord of the Badgers for this post:

I still live vainly in the hope that modern Gretsch might fancy a line of tenors again...

My band's website