Thread: Fond Memories, Fond Wishes

Default Fond Memories, Fond Wishes

Dear mando-kin around the world,

I hope that you and yours are all well despite these dreadful times that we are traversing. "This too shall come to pass" never sounded more optimistic; we must all look beyond. My own spirits were raised by a lovely performance of a little yet very special piece of mine, De Grote Markt. What makes this casual, minuscule composition hold such a uniquely warm place in my heart is all the constellation of memories attached to the time and place it was written.

I hope that this wonderfully atmospheric performance by Dutch mandolinist Alex Timmerman gives you good cheer as it did for me. The "storyline" of this score begins with the morning drizzle falling on the cobblestone, the marketplace still deserted; the city is awakened by the chiming of the bells of the Martinikerk (St. Martin's Church) and soon enough the outdoor market is bustling, abuzz with the joyous cries of the street vendors and their clientele.

All my very best wishes to each one of you, your families, your circle, and the world at large.

Victor
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Fond Memories, Fond Wishes

A lovely and evocative composition. You capture the feelings you outline in your preamble, and the playing of the tune is very enjoyable. Thanks for posting.
    I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order. - Eric Morecambe

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheOldBores

Thank you, John. Very kind of you.

Alex does a brilliant job of this little piece; most of the credit goes to him.

Cheers,

Victor

I neglected to mention that the score of this composition, like all my works for unaccompanied mandolin, is readily available as a free download from the site of our venerable James Garber of Multitudinous Mandolins.

http://paperclipdesign.com/vk/

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkioulaphides For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Very nice! Thanks!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Always happy to share.