Thread: technique

Default technique

I was told by the great mandolin virtuosos Andy De Meo that technique comes before expression. Sometimes I think you can have too much technique. Some people can play very fast but not say very much,
    David Herman

2. The following members say thank you to domradave for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: technique

I think expression comes with technique. Expression uses various techniques. One achieves expressive playing by the use of good techniques.

As to not saying very much. That is poor technique, as would be not playing musically. Technique is a lot more than getting the notes in the right order at speed. There is intonation, dynamics, emphasis, playing behind or ahead of the beat to give weight or lightness, a whole raft of techniques.

I don't confuse "not saying very much" with "not having much to say". I promise you I have very little to say. But the music has a lot to say.

Play expressively, Absolutely! Express effectively what is in the tune, its story, its narrative logic, its drama. What is in the music. That is our job as musicians.

Unless one is the composer of the piece, I would say expressing oneself is wrong headed. Everyone uses the phrase "express yourself". There is very little or nothing about myself that anyone wants to hear or, quite frankly, that I care to express.

Well except for yammering on and on in this thread.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

You can never have too much technique. You can easily be short of good taste.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    You can easily be short of good taste.
    At long last... a goal that might be achievable!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

8. The following members say thank you to EdHanrahan for this post:

Tony S 

Bad technique can limit your ability to express yourself. However good technique is not only the ability to play fast and clean. To me playing fast and clean but with no expression is a waste of technique—you may as well be a machine. On the other hand, to me there is the technique and skill that comes from shaping the notes, phrasing a melody and mastery of dynamics. The first time I heard Carlo Aonzo play a slow opera aria on the mandolin and it brought tears to my eyes. And every time I listen to Hilary Hahn play the Bach Chaconne on the violin—obviously those musicians have monster technique but they also go way beyond mechanics. Obviously!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

This is a fight with a straw man. The virtuoso said that technique comes before expression, he didn't say technique guarantees expression.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    This is a fight with a straw man. The virtuoso said that technique comes before expression, he didn't say technique guarantees expression.
    Quite true!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Bad technique can limit your ability to express yourself.
    I certainly agre that lack of technique definitely limits expression on a musical instrument.

Technique is a means to a musical end.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DavidKOS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by domradave View Post
    I was told by the great mandolin virtuosos Andy De Meo that technique comes before expression. Sometimes I think you can have too much technique. Some people can play very fast but not say very much,
    -if you can play cleanly and very fast, then well done. It takes a lot of hard work to get there, and you can’t force it.
    I think it becomes increasingly difficult to be emotionally expressive as the tempo increases above a certain level.

Personally there are techniques that attract me less, but you can learn a technique and then not use it.

Sometimes I think you can have too much technique.
    You can't have too much technique, but you can certainly USE too much technique, if that is your only goal.

17. The following members say thank you to David L for this post:

I agree with everything everyone "here" has said. I would just add while technique and expression are key.If you want to play like Jascha Heifetz, Jacob do Bandolim, Stephan Grappelli, Django Reinhardt, SRV, Jimi, to name a few, you gotta have heart. That magical way to connect all three that's sooo hard.

19. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Somebody recently posted a video of Sierra Hull demonstrating how to achieve good “tone”. Interestingly, everything she discusses in that video is about technique.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Hmmmm... assuming those are the virtuoso's exact words that is a very vague pronouncement. Does that mean a player must acquire the technique before he/she can express him/herself? or that it is a natural progression? I can't imagine that any of us have sacrificed attempts to improve technique in service to expression.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

........Pete Townshend...........

Yehudi Menhuin was clearly well versed as far as technique is concerned, however, when he was playing jazz, Stephane Grapelli said “It’s OK but it doesn’t swing.”.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray(T) For This Useful Post:

Can’t really separate technique from other aspects of playing, can you? Expressiveness would rely in part on technique, and can even be said to be a technique in and of itself.

- YouTube Stuff

28. The following members say thank you to Mark Gunter for this post:

I’ve had an epiphany that started with the Sierra Hull video I mentioned in an earlier post and was helped along by this thread and by some personal observations of my own playing: Technique = tone

Tone can be constrained by limitations of a given instrument, acoustical properties of the environment and/or accessory equipment ... but mostly by the technique of the player. That explains to a large degree why Grisman would sound like Grisman on a 1960 Harmony mandolin. Impeccable technique coupled with his personal sensibilities.

Forgive me if this is self evident to you. It is a recent game-changing epiphany for me. When I listen to my own recordings or pay close attention to my practice, I find that where my tone suffers most is where I do not fret cleanly or I miss a stroke with the pick. Time to wage a personal war with sloppy playing.

- YouTube Stuff

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mark Gunter For This Useful Post:

Interesting thread. I have most recently found, that if I am careful with fretting, use the optimal pick and pressure, I can attain the best tone. Unfortunately that all comes at the expense of speed. Doesn't matter if I am playing notes, double stops chords, chop chords or whatever. So, to me technique is becoming everything!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

32. The following members say thank you to Mike Scott for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    Interesting thread. I have most recently found, that if I am careful with fretting, use the optimal pick and pressure, I can attain the best tone. Unfortunately that all comes at the expense of speed. Doesn't matter if I am playing notes, double stops chords, chop chords or whatever. So, to me technique is becoming everything!
    I think that is just a matter of discipline. You know what you can do at slower tempos so gradually work faster in your practice. Metronomes are good since they give you a number to aim for. The good news is you *can* achieve that tone and the goal is to do it at the speed you want.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Maybe the paraphrase should be, one can't have too much technique in reserve, but in some instances, not appropriate to deliver it every time.
    Somebody told Vince Gill on his first studio gig, " Nice, but on the next take, play only half of what you know."

Registered User Charlie Bernstein's Avatar

Speed isn't technique.

First learn the song. Then put feeling into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
    Speed isn't technique.

First learn the song. Then put feeling into it.
    Speed is only a single aspect of musical technique. One also could include dynamics, tone color, rhythmic feel and accuracy, and many other technical bits, but speed is the one that seems to upset folks as if when you play fast you lose feeling.

"Then put feeling into it"

This is the debatable issue.

I ask , how do you put feeling into a tune? Your inner musicality has to feel something of course - but then your hands need at least enough technique to express it.

The better your technique the more feeling you can express, even in a fast piece. Speed and feeling comes with time and being able to incorporate both into a fast piece is technique. Technique is everything, the first important thing to develop, everything else will come later with more work.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post: