Thread: 1 1/16" fret advice

Default 1 1/16" fret advice

So I have a Nashville made Flatiron A that I love but am having some issues with because of the narrow neck. I don't have big hands so didn't think this would be much of an issue but am having a lot of trouble not muting adjacent strings. I love the sound and I actually love the feel of the neck. I pretty much know the answer is to adjust my hand position but if anyone has any specific recommendations I am all ears. I think a lot of people do well with these narrow necks so I think there is still hope. I am really surprised by how much of a difference 1/16" can make. The string spacing seems normal but I am wondering if there is a chance a new nut with the strings slightly closer together would alleviate the problem (if that is possible here). What is the minimum space you can get away with between courses?. Are the G strings are the limiting factor or can you make the spacing between the thinner strings more narrow? In other words, does the spacing have to be uniform?

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 1/16" fret advice

Hmmmm ... I have an A5L with this width neck. I am sure that David Harvey could answer your questions about string spacing. What I do when I play my A5L is adjust the hang angle of the mandolin. That changes my hand position just enough that I have no problems with unintentional muting. I place the headstock slightly higher when I play this mandolin. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Different mandolins may require subtle changes in playing. I’ve experienced similar muting issues and have resolved them through a focused practice approach.

But if all else fails, you’ll probably want to explore changes to string course spacing.
    Girouard A
    Silverangel A
    Eastman 615

Flat or radiused fretboard? If you're used to playing a radiused fretboard and your Flatiron is flat, that could make a difference.

It's flat, as is any other I have played.

So I compared the course spacing on it to the spacing on the Michael Kelly and have and it's noticeably wider. Gonna get a new nut and see how that goes.