Thread: Harmonized scales

Default Harmonized scales

Hi all,

I'm working on harmonized scales to get the feeling and the sound of the different intervals under my fingers. I made a tab sheet of the G scales harmonized in 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th with single notes. And also in harmonized double stop. So just for an example for the G scale single note in 3rd I play G-B-A-C-B-D-C-E-D-F#-E-G-F#-A-G-(B)

What I would like to know is do you know a good book or internet site that would have scales exercices focusing on differents intervals? And is there exercice that you do or have done that help you have better understanding how the different intervals works and get the placement of it on the fretboard in your mind.

Charlie

Default Re: Harmonized scales

You can do a search for ‘ear training’ apps on iphone/smartphone.

The ones I liked gave you a note in the scale of say G for 1 second and I had a second to play it, then it plays, say, the minor third of that note and you have to then play that at the same time (it’s just a fretboard distance/direction).

The biggest problem with a lot of the apps is that in order to generate a points system, they require touch screen user input after each question, something you don’t really need because you have the aural feedback.

Another one has a fretboard and notation and you have to touch the fretboard for each note in notation that’s played out loud. Great for learning to read but you’d need a foot operated switch to get the app to move on to the next note.

And Tabledit or Musescore which can generate random notes within a key (I believe it’s in a key, not sure now).

Jazzmando.com is great!

Good luck!

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Nugent View Post
    Hi all,
    What I would like to know is do you know a good book or internet site that would have scales exercices focusing on differents intervals? And is there exercice that you do or have done that help you have better understanding how the different intervals works and get the placement of it on the fretboard in your mind.

Charlie
    The classic Jerry Coker book PATTERNS FOR JAZZ https://www.amazon.com/Patterns-Jazz.../dp/0898987032 has plenty of these type drills. I used the book a lot in the late 70s and early 80s and occasionally pick it up nowadays (albeit on flute) to play with Lydian dominant, and other more unusual scales. It's still in print after 50 years (published in 1970!) and available at Amazon etc. You can find used copies for a little as $11 or $12 ...and worth every penny!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cover-large_file.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	189881 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l400.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	189882

Intervallic scale studies/exercises can be found in most technique books for just about every instrument. Both my fiddling younger brother Erik and I (me on mandolin)studied with a violinist named Nick DeCollibus, who was a friend/cohort of Joe Venuti, for a number of years (79-83 or so). Worked a lot with the Sevcik School of Violin Technics (in four parts: 1 Exercises in First Position, 2 Exercises in the 2nd-7th Positions, 3 Shifting, 4 Doublsetops) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otakar...v%C4%8D%C3%ADk

No doubt players like Don Steirnberg, Don Julin, Mike Marshall, Peter Martin etc. would concur on both Coker and Sevcik recommendations.

Niles H

Mandocrucian tracks on SoundCloud

CoMando Guest of the Week 2003 interview of Niles

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!." - Randy Newman ("It's A Jungle Out There")

You could also go and check MandolinCafe.com
    They have a Tabledit library (it’s a limited free software that will play abc files) and other TAB in the two libraries under the heading Learn/Listen. There are quite a few .abc files of arpeggio exercises, some of them written by well known musicians.

Thanks for the recommandations Simon and Niles. I'll go dig in all your suggestions. I'm still open to others recommandations if others knows good ressources

Charlie

Major to minor , Know what the 3rd of scale is ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I’m just getting started with it but Duke Sharp’s book (Garage Band Theory) has numerous notations and tabs with interval scale exercises in multiple keys for both guitar and mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by mandocrucian View Post

No doubt players like Don Steirnberg, Don Julin, Mike Marshall, Peter Martin etc. would concur on both Coker and Sevcik recommendations.

Niles H
    I sure do Niles! Any serious improvisor has spent a lot of time on scales. BUT not just straight up and down, doing them in MANY patterns. You see the notes of the scale better in your mind if you can play them in many different patterns.

Some of the Barry Harris for Jazz Mandolin videos I have teach what Barry says to practice on scales. You can see them here

https://www.petemartin.info/barry-ha...-mandolin.html

Episode 1, dominant seventh scale, episode 2, major scale and episode 15, melodic minor scale, show these exercises plus there are PDF files of standard music notation and mandolin tab for these. Even if you are not a jazz player, the major and dominant scales are worth knowing.

My suggestion is players learn these in at least the first 4 positions on the fingerboard (nothing wrong with learning more!). If you do this, you will be able to play most anything you need. Also learn to play tunes you play in first position is every position and every key. You'd be amazed at how doing this makes you comfortable anywhere on the instrument.

Pete
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post: