Thread: Cases for Lyon & Healy model A

Default Cases for Lyon & Healy model A

Recently I acquired a pretty incredible Collings vintage mandolin case (discontinued) for my Collings MT2-V. This case made me curious about cases people are using for their L&H model A's (symmetrical or asymmetrical). I have an original L&H case in good shape but it is not what I call a stout case. I keep my L&H in a custom made Calton. The Calton is really overkill though because I don't travel on airlines with it. So I'm curious as to what others are using??? The L&H shape, particularly the asymmetrical, is a unique shape as far as cases go.Thanks.

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Default Re: Cases for Lyon & Healy model A

I use the original case with a Small Dog case cover. That is fine for me. I also use SD case covers for my other main mandolins which are in TKL shaped cases.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

3. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Calton. They may still retain the template I provided, though it was many years ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	294.4 KB 
ID:	189868  

Hi Bob - identical to mine. Perhaps they used your template when they made mine (although they did still ask for all measurements)!

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

6. The following members say thank you to Tim Logan for this post:

Bob A 

Blog Entries

I use Reunion Blues Continental case for mine. Tough enough for most everything it is likely to experience.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

8. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Thanks Jeff - I looked on the RB web site - wondering which exact model you have? How is the fit?

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

I will check and get back to you, but I think it is the large uke case. I think one can find inside dimensions of all their cases on line.

I have another reunion Blues Continental case, next size up, for my Stiver, as it is a little larger. That one is called a mandolin case if i remember.

I am really a fan of these cases. They are so light I think they have anti-gravity foam in them. And except for very deliberate puncture with a ceremonial sword or a Buck 120 fixed blade knife or being caught in a 50 ton hydraulic press, I can't imagine any vulnerability. PLEASE don't test this, but I don't think it would be vulnerable to casually being run over by a car, in that it is so light the tire would more likely scoot the case out of the way than go over it. I could be wrong, but I have seen how difficult it is to run over an empty 1 liter soda bottle or empty Tupperware container. You have to be pretty deliberate about it.

The entire staff
    funny....

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

I bought an old Geib case through the Mandolin Cafe classifieds -- $200, I believe. After I cleaned it up, I was good to go.

13. The following members say thank you to rickbella for this post:

Sometimes the old Eastman fiberglass F cases will be a surprisingly good fit for a Style A. However, it doesn't always work; the most recent Style A I had decidedly did not fit in the most recent Eastman case I had, which came as a bit of a shock because the experiment had been successful with 2 previous mandolins and 2 previous Eastman cases.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

15. The following members say thank you to mrmando for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    I use Reunion Blues Continental case for mine. Tough enough for most everything it is likely to experience.
    Excuse my ignorance, but that is still a gig bag, correct? I know it is an upper end, well-made one but I would prefer a decently made hard case for anything like a vintage L&H or any other valuable instrument. Useful for sure, if I was carrying a guitar or banjo around for hours but a mandolin is not so heavy or large. Just my personal preference.

I wonder if a standard F model case will fit an L&H. There is this Bobelock case to fit an F5. I am not sure about the neck to body proportions vs. an F-5. I do remember seeing an original rectangular case for a L&H.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

17. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Sometimes the old Eastman fiberglass F cases will be a surprisingly good fit for a Style A. However, it doesn't always work; the most recent Style A I had decidedly did not fit in the most recent Eastman case I had, which came as a bit of a shock because the experiment had been successful with 2 previous mandolins and 2 previous Eastman cases.
    I'm surprised because I thought the neck angle would be different than most F's? What area did not fit on your latest case? Asymmetrical models?

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I wonder if a standard F model case will fit an L&H. There is this Bobelock case to fit an F5. I am not sure about the neck to body proportions vs. an F-5. I do remember seeing an original rectangular case for a L&H.
    The biggest difference on my Calton is caused by the neck angle. Thus the case depth is an inch or two deeper than a standard Calton. Because of this I assumed that most standard F cases would not adequately support a Mandolin. But I most definitely could be wrong on this.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I have the two versions of the L&H A, short and long scale and could try them in whatever cases I have handy (no Caltons or Collings). I will get back to you on what works.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That would be quite interesting to know Jim. Thank you. Asymmetric or symmetric points?

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    That would be quite interesting to know Jim. Thank you. Asymmetric or symmetric points?
    One of each:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LH_Garb_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	400.3 KB 
ID:	189886 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	washburn_ftbk.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	430.4 KB 
ID:	189887
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

23. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

I have the two versions of the L&H A, short and long scale and could try them in whatever cases I have handy (no Caltons or Collings). I will get back to you on what works.
    Any luck? I'm curious. I think if I could find a nice slim well fitting case for my LH (short scale, asymmetric), I'd sell the Calton. Chances of me truly needing something that beefy are pretty slim in retrospect! Thank you.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Actually Jim, I just dug out a TKL A-style case that is not being used. It turns out that the points and body fit fine. However, the storage compartment under the neck is too long thus part of the scroll rests on the it. I suspect that might be a problem with most cases.

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

I think most of my questions are answered in this thread. Thanks folks!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ht=custom+case

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Blog Entries

If you want the ultimate case for a L&H mandolin "NFI" but check out the one at Gryphon Strings! I owned that mandolin a few years ago! Its a long scale, in about perfect/mint shape and has a one piece back and very spectacular wood, the neatest rectangular purple lined case in the Loar case style. The case was as nice as the mandolin! It was made just for that mandolin/as it only fit those mandolins, and I'd lay $ there is maybe a handful of cases like this one, I doubt as perfect! It was like a smaller version of the other elusive Loar F- case!

That mandolin sounded great as well but not my sound so I sold it and must be the other owner sold it? Don't know why as he said it was his perfect mandolin for what he does?

28. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Logan View Post
    I think most of my questions are answered in this thread. Thanks folks!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ht=custom+case
    It looks like the Concord case that I linked to is no longer being sold by Elderly, however, it looks like a nice case and the insides are adjustable. And it was designed by Michael Lewis, an excellent mandolin maker. He even includes a Tone-Gard holder in the lid.
    Specs:
    Mandolin case

• Special designed by Michael Lewis
    • With Hygrometer and Thermometer
    • Adjustable Interior
    • With Tone-Gard Holder
    • Bluegrass players favorite
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MandolinCase.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	190012   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tone-Guard-Holder2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	190013  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

That Concord case makes sense to me for this purpose. I have noticed that since violas have a relatively wide range of sizes—most violins are about 14" back whereas violas range from 15" to 18"—there are many companies that make one with adjustable supports that can be moved and I think are affixed by velcro.

OTOH I have a distinct feeling that these cases may no longer be sold. There are a couple of sold listing on Reverb and that is about all I can find. Too bad. I wonder if there are any other companies that make a similar case.

Some time ago I bought a bandolim which have bodies much wider than American mandolins. At that time there these strange Protec Stonewood mandolin cases with a window for the headstock. Aside from that odd feature (to either allow the owner or a thief passing by to know what was in the case) it also came with removable foam inserts so that you could put a larger instrument into it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ProtecStonewoodCase.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	190028
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

31. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Blog Entries

Excuse my ignorance, but that is still a gig bag, correct? I know it is an upper end, well-made one but I would prefer a decently made hard case for anything like a vintage L&H or any other valuable instrument. Useful for sure, if I was carrying a guitar or banjo around for hours but a mandolin is not so heavy or large. Just my personal preference. .
    Yes it would be a gig bag.

It is a personal comfort level thing. My L&H came with a tight fitting Calton case, which I use where I feel I need the extra protection.

What I have done until recently is use a hard case for car travel or for an airplane, gig bag for everything else, including festivals going from venue to venue.

But my recent experience with these marvels is they are fine for airplane carry on, (I would not for checked baggage), and if the car is not filled up with a bunch of camping stuff that can fall, like if I can put the mandolin just in the passenger seat, I am comfortable with these Reunion Blues.

The entire staff
    funny....

33. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I heard a few days ago from Concord—see my post # 21.

This case is currently out of stock. We don’t know how soon we will fulfil this case since our case production has postponed.
    It doesn’t sound like they will never make them but not in the near future, I guess.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

35. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Thank you all for you helpful and informative input. Often our queries take us in surprise directions. In this instance, as I have learned, from Steve Kirtley, more about my original 1920's L&H case (its history, relative condition, and how minor repairs will make it an excellent historical example), I have decided to use it for my every day case!! Should the need for travel occur I can fall back to my Calton. Thank you again!

2015 Collings A (MT2-V)