Thread: Improving action by sanding non adjustible bridge and reslotting

Default Improving action by sanding non adjustible bridge and reslotting

Need just the tiniest of action reduction to render instrument in perfect playing condition for me. Action at nut perfect so
    was going to sand top of non adjust bridge and redefine slots. Can do in gentle stages to achieve degree of reduction.
    Folks usually recommend sanding feet of bridge - feel this more trouble than necessary. Am i correct in this assumption.
    Many thanks for advice.

2. The following members say thank you to mibrom for this post:

Teacher, repair person

Default Re: Improving action by sanding non adjustible bridge and reslott

For minor adjustments, I usually prefer to take material off the top as you are suggesting. I generally avoid taking it off the foot unless the fit is poor or the necessary adjustment is large.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcc56 For This Useful Post:

JRGrickbella 

You could just deepen the slots a little. You can do it without removing the strings. Just move them aside

As rcc56 says if the bridge fits well I would leave it along. I would suggest deepening the slots as tsheehy says and refining the top when you have it where you want it.

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Opinion of this experienced (*) amateur: As several have said, just get the string slots to the right depth. Later you can remove excess bridge materiel so that about half of each string is showing. In other words, let the string action dictate the height and shape of the bridge, rather than shaping the bridge into which you then cut the slots. Same logic can apply to the nut.

If the height difference is as minor as you say, you probably won't need to adjust the front surfaces for string compensation (which is generally just approximate, anyway).

* - It might have been Pete Seeger who said something along the lines of: "Education is what you get when you read the fine print, experience is what you get when you don't."
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Adrian Minarovic

I'm quite conservative but I prefer to take wood from bottom of the bridge everytime unless the top of bridge is screwed/hacked and needs correction - usually removing some material off the top and replacing by new wood to original height/shape.
    I've seen so many bridges ruined by uncontrolled deepening of slots or lowering them from top. Many bridges have the compensation cuts shaped on top and deepening of slots will change that and will require reshaping the compensation steps as well.
    The only cases when I remove wood from top is on instruments have so low projection that no standard bridge will fit and wood has to be removed to such extent that you are closer to creating a custom bridge.
    Adrian

9. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Obliged for replies - will deepen slots only just a smidgeon and if necessary settle for "near perfect action".
    Will note HoGo's admonishment and thread softly!
    Thanks again,
    M

Thanks again all. Managed to deepen slots with couple of fine wood files I had for general use - suited to a tee! Don't
    generally tinker with instruments unless absolutely certain I can accomplish. Got action to a very acceptable level and
    can appreciate ease of playing as a result (Must have done something right) !
    Great resource for assisting tentative amateur "luthiers".
    Keep up good work.
    M