Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rarest of rare in the classifieds, great instrument, super price!

Default Re: rarest of rare in the classifieds, great instrument, super pr

Well, I did know that but, I didn’t get the mandolin so, I’m making do with a cake.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I was seriously thinking about it till the exchange came into light. It looked pretty nice though.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    I was seriously thinking about it till the exchange came into light. It looked pretty nice though.
    By “exchange” do you mean the exchange rate or the importation of the instrument?
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    By “exchange” do you mean the exchange rate or the importation of the instrument?
    The dollar exchange. I think importation would be good. If Im not mistakin. And I could be wrong . Instruments from the UK is tough.

5. The following members say thank you to slimt for this post:

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimt View Post
    The dollar exchange. I think importation would be good. If Im not mistakin. And I could be wrong . Instruments from the UK is tough.
    I would actually be more intimidated by the potential expense and process of importing such an instrument from Europe (Germany?) than I would that asking price converted to dollars for a modern Loar-style build.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    I would actually be more intimidated by the potential expense and process of importing such an instrument from Europe (Germany?) than I would that asking price converted to dollars for a modern Loar-style build.
    SHipping can be costly these days, the latest two mandolins I shipped by Fedex were 294EUR (I believe) shipped (both) in one custom plywood/styrofoam shipping box I make (75x73x17cm total size). Standard double boxing with mandolin case in a box would make for even higher volumetric size and cost even for one mandolin. Perhaps Wolfgang saved the box somewhere in his garage and could send it in the one I made...
    Taxes or customs depend on state of import and could add 10-20%... Sometimes it is cheaper just to buy a cheap flight ticket and have a nice day in EU to get the instrument if the owner is willing to travel to the airport town :-)
    Adrian

8. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

IŽd just like to give a cross reference to the other thread on the other HoGo for sale (on Reverb), which is quite a coincidence.

Adrian, the picture of that youtube video should show you in Voorthuizen (EWOB festival) around the year 2000, right? Knowing how challenging it is to work in a day job and caring for a family IŽd be interested if youŽre still in contact with your old cronies and/or still picking in some sort of a band context? You did well on the musical front.
    Olaf

Olaf, not too big of a coincidence. It was because of this thread that I posted the other thread. Coincidence that there are two advertised at the same time, now that is a rare coincidence.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Adrian Minarovic

BTW, both of these two mandolins were made of same woods (from same trees / billets I resawed), everything, maple, spruce, even ebony for fingerboards. They have small SS wire from Jescar.
    Adrian

12. The following members say thank you to HoGo for this post:

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by grassrootphilosopher View Post
    Adrian, the picture of that youtube video should show you in Voorthuizen (EWOB festival) around the year 2000, right? Knowing how challenging it is to work in a day job and caring for a family IŽd be interested if youŽre still in contact with your old cronies and/or still picking in some sort of a band context? You did well on the musical front.
    Yes. EWOB, I don't remember year but my hair is much much more grey in color than on the photo. The band didn't last very long and I played with few others in early 00's but quit playing in bands in 2010 or so. It was quite hard with growing family. There is one event here in Slovakia that I never missed for last 14 years except one (because of funeral), a "Musicians Camp Kosodrevina" at a mountain hotel halfway up the hill of one of the largest ski resorts in the middle of January - cool you can jam, talk and listen to many local and Czech BG bands in one place concerts held at two stages on friday and saturday from lunch till past midnight. The weekend is reserved just for the musicians and their friends only and is usually fully booked few days after each years' message from organisers. To bad this year it probably won't be...
    Here is one of my last gigs...
    https://youtu.be/mq5wefQnd0s
    Adrian

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HoGo For This Useful Post:

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Well time takes a toll and the change of the millenium is long past. I saw your video. I wonder what Filip Bato is up to these days. He was quite a busy banjo player and I remember jaming on Bela FleckŽs "Whitewater" with him and a couple of other guys at the Caslav banjo jamboree quite some years back.

Additionally IŽd like to link to this thread which has a nice demonstration of a Hogan, a Nugget and a Gilchrist F-5: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...ighlight=hogan
    Olaf