Thread: Amplification as a learning tool

Default Amplification as a learning tool

A friend recently gave me an electric guitar effects pedal. I pulled out my long-neglected Fender Strat and played around with it.

I never played electric guitar as seriously as I have acoustic guitar and mandolin. However, the amplification, overdrive, and delay effects really inspired me. I felt as if I was hearing intervals and note relationships more clearly. It seemed to help me work out some variations on melody lines that I play frequently.

Has anyone else had this experience?

My mando does not have a pickup, but I'm considering getting one just to hear better when I practice (or maybe I should just get a hearing aid).

Default Re: Amplification as a learning tool

I cant say I have had that same experience but I do use my Zoom effects pedal with my Mandocaster for a change of pace

3. The following members say thank you to DaveGinNJ for this post:

gfury 

I've done that many times (with an acoustic mandolin), and I think that there are two reasons that the perception is that one can hear the instrument more clearly:
    (1) You're hearing how the instrument sounds at the pickup, instead of how it sounds as it travels through the air. It's like you are closer to the source of the sound.
    (2) You're not hearing any extraneous background noises, which certainly helps in a lot of situations.
    mando scales
    technical exercises for rock blues & fusion mandolinists
    mp4 backing tracks & free downloadable pdfs

jimbevan.com

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Bevan for this post:

gfury 

I think hearing something in a different way is often a help. Also a distortion pedal will emphasize some harmonics much more than others. This could be part of what you are hearing.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nevin For This Useful Post:

I have a pickup on all my acoustic instruments. Mandolin, fiddle, banjer, & guitar. I run through a micro-cube. I use it like a monitor. For sure it helps to get the sound in front of you. The cube has built in effects but i don't use them much. I do however have a looper. You can come up with all kinds of combinations. Sure cure for boredom.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to farmerjones For This Useful Post:

gfuryJess L.