Thread: Old ibanez mandolin

Default Old ibanez mandolin

Hey all! I recently aquired my grandmother's uncle's old mandolin. It's an old ibanez in near mint condition. I cant make out any date or model from it though, since there is no serialnumber on it! Can anyone tell me a bit more about it? I've seen it on old pictures dating back before -67 sometime!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201020_163904.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	189295
    [Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20201020_163540.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	2.42 MB 
ID:	189297

Name:	IMG_20201020_163505.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	189298

Name:	IMG_20201020_163452.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	2.59 MB 
ID:	189296

Default Re: Old ibanez mandolin

One of their cheaper models. Probably a derivative of their 512 model from 1976 although I suspect that your particular one could be later.

If you’ve the inclination, you might like to wade through these - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    One of their cheaper models. Probably a derivative of their 512 model from 1976 although I suspect that your particular one could be later.

If you’ve the inclination, you might like to wade through these - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibanez-Catalogs/
    Well, as stated in the post, i've seen it in pictures dating back before The 70's... Guess i need to visit my grandma again and look closer..

With what appears to be a rosewood back and sides, I believe it's a model 513, solid spruce top with laminated EI rosewood b/s. I had one back in the 90's as my "beater" mandolin and took it to Europe in '99 when the Providence Mandolin Orchestra toured through Germany, France and Luxembourg. I didn't want to take a more expensive instrument with me but this 513 served me well over the years and sounded rather nice for an imported mandolin. I did replace the (rosewood?) bridge on mine with a Loar style ebony bridge with the small adjuster wheels which did make it sound better imho. It's definitely a keeper if you have the mind to.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

The 513 was actually a two pointer with a maple back - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibane.../1976-6/06.jpg - but the 512 I mentioned - http://s93105080.onlinehome.us/Ibane.../1976-6/07.jpg - is all but identical. .... and it has a rosewood back!

6. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

lenf12 

Carved solid spruce top! I own the two point one in that link- branded as a Suzuki, which I spent a small fortune on as a student in 1977- it was about 20 week's rent- two thirds of the academic year! It was once borrowed to be used on an album in about 1980 but I never got a credit for lending it- just a new set of strings on it! It's currently not being played but it's not a bad instrument.

I bought my 524 in 1976; yes they were a small fortune but it was the best that was available in the UK at the time and it was perfectly set up straight out of the box (I knew the bloke in the shop and I was the first person to tune it). The pickguard started to deteriorate two or three years ago so I took it off. Probably as a result of it staying the case untouched for the last eighteen years.

Not sure about the “curly” maple back though - it’s an awful piece of wood. I’ve always thought it unusual that it didn’t have a serial number.

There was very little availability back in the 1970s, and quite frankly, I don't think I ever saw an F style mandolin in a shop when I decided to try and get something decent to play. These days, the sheer number of okay and inexpensive mandolins and acoustic guitars that are for sale is mind-boggling in comparison.

Thanks Ray, I sit corrected

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

11. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post:

Ray(T) 

Thanks for the input people.
    I have kept doing research within my family and this instrument was purchased sometime in the late 50's or early 60's. So its not a 512 at least!

There are several catalogues on the ibanez.com website from the 1960s here - https://www.ibanez.com/eu/support/catalogs/ - the ones from 1960 and 1964 feature mandolins but none of them is anything like the one you illustrate. Compared to their guitars, of which they have been dozens of models over the years, there seem to have been relatively few mandolins.

Whilst your relative undoubtedly purchased a mandolin back in the 50s/60s, how can you be sure that it was this particular one? All the evidence seems to point to it being a model 512 rather than anything else.

If you look at their 1980 catalogue here - https://www.ibanez.com/eu/support/ca...101000013.html - you’ll see that the tuners on that year’s version of the 512 are more like the one you have than the ones on the 1976 model, so my final guess would be circa. 1980.

14. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

That same "Made in Japan" sticker was on my Suzuki I bought in 1977- as was the same tailpiece. Clearly, the mandolin being discussed is from the 1970s or newer not older.

I am convinced by you all that my grandma is wrong. It's most likely a '76 512 as shown in catalogues, with the only difference being the bellplate..

By “bellplate” I assume you mean the tailpiece cover. These need to be taken off to change/replace strings and can easily be lost/replaced. The mandolin doesn’t look to have been played that much as the protective film on the pickguard is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    By “bellplate” I assume you mean the tailpiece cover.
    You may be right. I assumed it was the truss-rod cover.

I meant the truss rod cover of course..

Ah, I see what you mean. It doesn't exactly look original - the protrusion at the flat end is presumably intended to slot into something but, with the fixed point being the screw/hole, it doesn't seem to quite reach the end of the fingerboard. The pictures on the websites are a little small to make a real comparison. The one on my '76 524 is a different beast with screws at both ends.

Not that it matters; people take them off, loose them, change them for something with more bling or for one with their name engraved on it - the world's your lobster!