Thread: Waverly tuner repair

Default Waverly tuner repair

This weekend I accidently knocked over my mandolin and broke off the 1st G string tuning peg. These are Waverly tuners and it looks like a clean break. Can this be repaired? I was already told by one repair person that they can't be repaired but have to be replaced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuner.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	189271

Default Re: Waverly tuner repair

I would try to repair it, you don't have anything to loose. Take the tuner plate off and put the broken peg back into place. The posts in the back that go into the plate will have to be peened and hopefully it will stay in place. If it is something you don't feel comfortable doing take it to a machine shop. Good luck.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Easy fix by several methods. As above, the little projections -call them posts - look ok. You do have to take the plate off. The posts will or will not easily fit into the holes; I’m betting not. So you have to press or tap them back in, depending on what tools you’ve got. A little C clamp might be the easiest. With them in place, look to see there are no gaps under. Make an anvil by putting something like a steel bar or part of a tool in a vise, flat side up. Even a small bolt will do. If you don’t have a vise, you can just put any kind of a hard metal plate under the whole tuner, which is actually easier. Make sure there’s good contact with the metal opposite the posts, then carefully peen them. Both of them. If you don’t have a pointy punch, a big nail will do fine. Tap (lightly!) in the very center of the post first, then a few light taps at the edges, and you’re done!
    If the posts are actually fractured and you can’t do this, take the tuner to any jeweler and ask them to take the button off and braze the thing to the plate. Note that the shaft itself might have a little bend in it although it looks fine in the photo. Don’t try to straighten it.
    I’ve done the braze thing in the worser case where the locating post was gone, and even that isn’t so bad, just more careful alignment.

Thanks for the advice. I think there is hope.

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense what you are asking me to do. I might get an expert to give it a try though.

These tuners seem really delicate. There really wasn't much holding this post on.

Adrian Minarovic

As usually Frank has it covered...
    http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...f4gearfix.html
    Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by mandogreg2 View Post
    ...These tuners seem really delicate. There really wasn't much holding this post on.
    At the risk of sounding like I'm scolding, there is plenty holding them on for normal situations. They are not meant to be dropped.
    Check with Stewmac. They tend to be very accommodating with customers when they have problems with their products. There is no reason that they should replace the tuners (since it was dropped), but it won't hurt to ask.

8. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

I would call Stewmac as well but before you do that could you post a picture of the rest of the tuners. I don't see a collar on that tuning button shaft.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

It was my fault so I'm not expecting a free replacement. They are older tuners anyways. Here's a picture of the tuner base:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuner 2.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	189274

Quote Originally Posted by mandogreg2 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. It makes sense what you are asking me to do. I might get an expert to give it a try though.

These tuners seem really delicate. There really wasn't much holding this post on.
    Yes and no. In normal operation most of the strain is parallel to the plate, so you’d have to shear off the post for it to fail. In the direction they pulled out, there is almost no force, so a simple peening is plenty good. The cheap tuner just bends up ears on the plate with holes in them, and that’s much stronger, but makes a different way of putting the parts together. A premium product might use bronze instead of steel, have nice deep stamping of a design, and probably better electroplating. It may have adjustable fit too. Important to some people.

Blog Entries

Those tuners are not Waverly's, they look like older Gotoh's right?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to William Smith For This Useful Post:

Those are either Gotoh tuners or the fake Saga Gotoh tuners that came on some Kentucky products a while back. When you pull off a button is the post square or round with two flats and are they A or F? Can you post a picture of the back of the headstock with at least one tuner on?
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Honestly, unless you're a glutton for punishment I'd just replace them. You can probably move your buttons to the new ones.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Here are a set of Waverly and Gotoh tuners. The Gotoh's are on the left, the Waverly tuners are on the right. The Gotoh's are a bit different than yours as I replaced the Phillips head screws with slot head screws. These also have real mother-of-pearl buttons on them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WaverlyAndGotoh2.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	651.7 KB 
ID:	189280  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

There is an e-Bay seller that sells Gotoh tuners at a really good price. You'll need to know if they are worm over or worm under and also if it's A or F style tuners.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Any competent jeweler should be able to silver solder those back in place for $10 and about 5 minutes effort.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

19. The following members say thank you to j. condino for this post:

@Mike. Are the slot head screws more in keeping with the period design? Nice touch.

Yes, it was a real project. Here is the thread. You can skip to the end for the pictures.

I was looking for a set of F style worm over tuners for my mandola. I accumulated pearl buttons and different sets and finishes. Then when I was trying to make up my mind a set of used Waverly worm over tuners that Stewmac kept telling me didn't exist was dangled in front of me and I bought them. Most of the sets of worm over tuners have gone on to better homes.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Yep, definitely Gotoh tuners, in which case I'd just replace them.

Quote Originally Posted by amowry View Post
    Yep, definitely Gotoh tuners, in which case I'd just replace them.
    But don’t use the same ‘repairer’ if you swap with a different type. He or she isn’t too skilled.

Thanks again for all the advice. I really appreciate it. I think they are Gotoh tuners which is good news since they won't break the bank. I still want to get the original set repaired.

Thanks Mike for the photo. That is very helpful.