Thread: Should I buy a Charango?

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Default Should I buy a Charango?

Have been offered a pretty good deal on one.

Does anyone have any experience? Is it worth the effort Of learning? Are there any warning?
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

Default Re: Should I buy a Charango?

I like to play charango. I like the music of latin and s america and play quite a bit of it - chrng is of course excellent in much of the music .. You can start easily by simply conceiving of it as a uke - it's tuned as such, commonly (with an extra course of treble strings doubling the 3rd course). There are idiomatic techniques particularly with the right/strumming hand that exploit its reentrant layout, so it's a fun fingerstyle instrument like 5-str banjo, uke, et al. Highly rhythmic tool.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Yes... to all your questions, David.

It looks like from your posse of instruments that you know what to consider. My only negative experience with charangos has been with cheaper models that the neck promptly went south on.

I'm not expert. Bill Kilpatrick, who used to hang around here, turned me on to them them. I love it but don't play as much as I did, sadly.

I don't play ukulele, so this was my first experience with reentrant tuning.
    Now I know why people dig it so much.

Keep us posted on what you decide.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

5. The following members say thank you to brunello97 for this post:

i agree, they are cool instruments unique sound

They have an interesting sound that is hard to duplicate with other instruments. (Maybe an 8-string uke would be similar?) I've found the flat but wide neck on mine difficult to navigate sometimes.

I have a Garcia, from Bolivia, in the middle of the photo below. I found playing without a strap to be difficult since the instrument and I have non-complementary convexities. I used a guitar strap attached to the neck and to a band that goes around the middle of the charango.

Oh, and the Duran/Pedrotti book is a good resource for learning to play.

D.H.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	smallinstruments.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	189156
    Last edited by Dave Hicks; Oct-15-2020 at 7:20am.

8. The following members say thank you to Dave Hicks for this post:

Yes. Looks fun.

(If you are asking for anything other than enthusiastic encouragement, this may be the wrong forum).

Hey David,

Thanks, pal, now you've done it. This thread you started has me wondering whether I should get one. Just what I need. . .CAS.

Please let us know how much you like it, once you get it.

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

Fwiw, charango is a somewhat specialized instrument - its highly percussive sound being distinctly characteristic of the highly rhythmic quality of latin/american forms. But a somewhat more versatile instrument, better suited perhaps for a wider range of application, is the larger size ronroco - an octave lower. There's more room on the fingerboard for harmonic options, a better voice for song accompaniment, casual strumming, solo playing, etc.

The wide fingerboard of the chrng family instruments facilitates fingerstyle playing. More akin to guitar than mndlns.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to catmandu2 For This Useful Post:

Here’s a Ronroco

Name:	8DC2167E-9B41-422F-8FD7-64C06D4FADFD.jpeg 
Views:	100 
Size:	471.9 KB 
ID:	189181

14. The following members say thank you to Simon DS for this post:

Hi, I wasn't sure I was posting to the right thread, but let's try it anyway.
    I have a donor who has a 1899 CF Martin & Co harp mandolin, who is liquidating an estate. Can anyone suggest a price and a venue where they may find someone who would appreciate the instrument? They don't want to sell it just for the money. It was special to their daughter who passed away, who was the owner.

Name:	IMG_5514[1].jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	472.2 KB 
ID:	189182

The Armadillo shell backed ones will be hard to come by in Australia..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charan...er%20resonator.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

17. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    Have been offered a pretty good deal on one.

Does anyone have any experience? Is it worth the effort Of learning? Are there any warning?
    The answer to "should I buy a ...?" is usually "yes". I have never heard of a charango before so Google to the rescue. It has a nice sound, sort of like a Uke but brighter. They are not expensive so why not. You'll probably be the only (and hence the best) charango player at your next jam

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    The Armadillo shell backed ones will be hard to come by in Australia..
    You won't want an armadillo shell charango anyway, at least not in most climates far from where they're made. Over time, the wood soundboard will move around a little with changes in temperature and humidity, and the hard shell won't budge. Eventually the soundboard splits or separates from the shell. It's the Ovation guitar problem, except Ovations had a more flexible shell.

I had the coolest-looking armadillo shell charango for a while, bought on a trip to Mexico back in the early 80's. I didn't play it much, it didn't fit the music I was playing at the time, but it was fun and a great wall ornament. After a couple of years the top split right down the middle.

Also, armadillos supposedly carry leprosy...

I tried my hand at tiple for a while but didn't get far with it. Just couldn't get the hang of it, especially the reentrant tuning. Fortunately, I found a buyer for the darn thing.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I bought a charango many years ago from Joe Todaro of World Frets. He has some connections with good luthiers in Bolivia (I think) and his prices are reasonable. After a few years it needed a little fret help as the fret ends stuck out from the fretboard. Other than that it held together pretty well and Joe even included a nice woven gig bag, a chord book and a method in Spanish. The only thing to bear in mind is that with ten tuning machines mine is very headstock heavy and therefore a little hard to hold.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

22. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Hereīs some nice charango music from a friend of mine who lives here in my town in Germany. Heīs the best charango player in town, of course.
    Maybe this helps a bit with your decision if you should buy one. Itīs a versatile instrument and people totally like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPphtYi7qV8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SB-lyqaets
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYeB3i4EWYE

24. The following members say thank you to Michael Wolf for this post: