Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: String suggestions for flat tops

Default Re: String suggestions for flat tops

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybucket View Post
    As someone who has never played a flat top before but might pull the trigger on one sometime soon, is there a reason why you put light gauge strings on them or is it just preference?
    They are not usually built to have anything but light strings.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Honeybucket View Post
    As someone who has never played a flat top before but might pull the trigger on one sometime soon, is there a reason why you put light gauge strings on them or is it just preference?
    I'm sure others will chime in....

To my understanding the high string tension of mandolins puts a lot of downward stress on the mandolin top. The flat top is just that, flat, and cannot withstand the same stress of an arch top instrument. Also, most flat tops dont have trussrods but are equipped with Steel reinforced necks.

Many factor unknowns .. like, your bracing underneath of that flat top?

the tops of Bowl-back were made of flat spruce but had a peak in them . 'cant-top'
    CF Martin made bowl back in classical style in PA , then, when they redesigned it flat back,
    It was made larger , but still kept the hip roof peak to it..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Wilson View Post
    I'm sure others will chime in....

To my understanding the high string tension of mandolins puts a lot of downward stress on the mandolin top. The flat top is just that, flat, and cannot withstand the same stress of an arch top instrument. Also, most flat tops dont have trussrods but are equipped with Steel reinforced necks.
    Those are two misleading generalizations. I have had top stress problems with both an archtop and a flat top. It depends on the bracing. There are builders who make 10 string flat-tops and they do fine.

Also, there are also a lot of archtops with steel and graphite reinforced necks and they work just as well as truss rods. I have two and never had a neck problem with either. All a truss rod does is make the reinforcement adjustable. If the neck is done right, the adjustability should never be needed.

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Flynn View Post
    Those are two misleading generalizations. I have had top stress problems with both an archtop and a flat top. It depends on the bracing. There are builders who make 10 string flat-tops and they do fine.

Also, there are also a lot of archtops with steel and graphite reinforced necks and they work just as well as truss rods. I have two and never had a neck problem with either. All a truss rod does is make the reinforcement adjustable. If the neck is done right, the adjustability should never be needed.
    Thank you for the clarification!