Thread: Kentucky komparison

Default Kentucky komparison

I love reading the mandolin comparisons found here on the Cafe ...very helpful insight by people actually playing these things . In that regard I thought I'd post this for what it may be worth.

I've had a KM 150 for a few years now and I've never ceased to be impressed by the tone ....deep , even , not shrill ( some Eastmans I've played ) and loud . Recently I bought a KM 256 for a very good price hoping the extended , radiused fretboard and 'better tonewoods' would make a noticeable difference . And , in fact , I did listen to the posted videos of the 250 series and they did sound good . It was a different tone ...but not in the way I'd hoped . After a set-up , re-stringing and playing daily ( for up to several hours ) for two weeks it seemed the tone was 'trapped' inside .....had no real low-end warmth but did project when played aggressively . And yes , the radius board was noticeable in a good way ..but not significantly so when compared with my KM 150 .
    Overall I'd describe it as '' toy-like'' in sound . Not very defined .

We all know that 5 identical models will each sound different from the next. Unfortunately I didn't have four others to compare it to . Only the KM 150 . And the KM 150 won that round . I returned the 256 .

I'd be very curious as to whether anyone else has played the two mandolins above and to hear any thoughts . I haven't ruled out another 256 if it had better tone

Default Re: Kentucky komparison

I have a KM150 that I've had for sometime now and was really impress with the way it opened up. Not ever played or compared it to another A5 with f holes, but still love the way it sounds.

The Amateur Mandolinist Mark Gunter's Avatar
    South of Cleburne, North of Hillsboro, Texas

Eastmans appear to be eclipsing the Kentuckys here, of late. I mean there seem to be a lot more Eastman lovers, and folk who recommend the Eastman brand more than a Kentucky. A well known and respected seller, cafe sponsor, in recent months even tried to steer me to the Eastman brand when I contacted with questions about two Kentucky models they had in stock.

That just appears to be the world as it is at the moment. The Eastman product generally has an awesome finish, is a great value, and a lot of people love them. I’ve owned one and played a dozen or so, and I prefer the Kentucky mandolins over them for the feel of the neck and the tone. But that’s just me, and I think it’s the minority view right now.

There are a whole lot inexpensive Pac Rim guitars and mandolins for the choosing these days with a whole lot of bang for the buck.

BTW, according to the aforementioned seller, Eastman sells quickly ... but not the Kentucky. So they can’t play and compare the Kentucky brand for you. Kentucky gets setup after they’re purchased. Just business, but an eye opener as to the current popularity of the Eastman brand.
    WWW.THEAMATEURMANDOLINIST.COM
    ----------------------------------
    "Life is short. Play hard." - AlanN

----------------------------------
    HEY! The Cafe has Social Groups, check 'em out. I'm in these groups:
    Newbies Social Group | The Song-A-Week Social
    The Woodshed Study Group | Blues Mando
    - Advice For Mandolin Beginners
    - YouTube Stuff

Never tried KM-150, but sounds like you got a good one.. I bought a Kentucky KM-270 oval hole I like, it has a more open sound
    than my F's.. And fun to play on occasion.
    Kentucky KM-270, 2018 Gibson F5-G, 1924 Gibson A, Eastman ER-M, Loar LM-700

When I was looking for my first mandolin (not too long ago) I wanted a KM-150, but after a craigslist seller backed out of selling a nice older Japanese one, I couldn't find another used one for a price I wanted to pay at the time. So I bought a KM-200S (Korean). I don't play it too much these days, but the other day I took it out and played it for awhile. I'd be curious how it sounded next to your KM-150, though, and what the difference is. How old is your KM-150?

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    When I was looking for my first mandolin (not too long ago) I wanted a KM-150, but after a craigslist seller backed out of selling a nice older Japanese one, I couldn't find another used one for a price I wanted to pay at the time. So I bought a KM-200S (Korean). I don't play it too much these days, but the other day I took it out and played it for awhile. I'd be curious how it sounded next to your KM-150, though, and what the difference is. How old is your KM-150?
    I purchased my KM 150 about 7-8 years back right when they started making the new line at the new factory .At the time I recall playing a KM 650 , I believe , and several other models . The KM 150 won hands down ...deep , open tone right from the get-go which has only improved .

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gunter View Post
    Eastmans appear to be eclipsing the Kentuckys here, of late. I mean there seem to be a lot more Eastman lovers, and folk who recommend the Eastman brand more than a Kentucky. A well known and respected seller, cafe sponsor, in recent months even tried to steer me to the Eastman brand when I contacted with questions about two Kentucky models they had in stock.

That just appears to be the world as it is at the moment. The Eastman product generally has an awesome finish, is a great value, and a lot of people love them. I’ve owned one and played a dozen or so, and I prefer the Kentucky mandolins over them for the feel of the neck and the tone. But that’s just me, and I think it’s the minority view right now.

There are a whole lot inexpensive Pac Rim guitars and mandolins for the choosing these days with a whole lot of bang for the buck.

BTW, according to the aforementioned seller, Eastman sells quickly ... but not the Kentucky. So they can’t play and compare the Kentucky brand for you. Kentucky gets setup after they’re purchased. Just business, but an eye opener as to the current popularity of the Eastman brand.
    Here in Canada Kentucky mandolins are the proverbial needles in a haystack . You can't find them in shops. Eastmans are everywhere so you are going to buy what the store actually has for you to play . I spoke with Saga in this regard and they indicated that there was no Canadian rep right now . Hmmm ?

I have four Kentuckys. A KM150 that is a real winner, a KM171 which is a shot neck, black top, oval that is discontinued, a KM272 that has a very mellow tone, and my KM855 Bella Voce that is beginning to sound better the more I play it. It is also discontinued. You can still get a KM855, but it is not a Bella Voce. You can't go wrong with a Kentucky. IMHO