Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breedlove AM OF

Default Breedlove AM OF

New member here. Looking for my first Mandolin. I found a minty Breedlove AM OF for sale locally for around $700. Anyone have any experience with these American Breedloves?

Play to learn a variety of tunes. Bluegrass, Celtic, Old Time, etc...

Thanks!

Default Re: Breedlove AM OF

Sure do. I know have a 2005 Breedlove KO and now just today a Breedlove FF mandolin. So with the brief experience I have had I am very content with them as they can be used to play just about any genre of music. I might invest in an American Breedlove OF to add to my collection if one comes by like yours. I can get some real nice tone of both of them. They wont be the tone that most people on the Cafe are searching me. I am content with what I have now.
    Nic Gellie

They are very nice mandolins. That model looks fairly traditional, so you won't get too many sideways looks at a jam session. Sounds like it should be perfect for you for playing many styles of music.

My first "good" mandolin this time around was a Breedlove. It was an early KF shaped model. Sounded fine. My band leader disliked the look, so I moved it on.

I also think the Breedlove tone is good. And the necks are very comfortable. At that price, you got a nice deal.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

So Eric

Why did you not keep it as a backup which is what a lot of people do?
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    So Eric

Why did you not keep it as a backup which is what a lot of people do?
    Should have. Just felt bad enough about it not being liked that I realized I'd never feel comfortable taking it out again. Am overly sensitive about things like that.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin

Well a Breedlove FF could have done the job in terms of appearance. It is amazing how conservative people can be to other mandolin designs. For me the FF is a good looker. I still like the look of traditional looking mandolins and I am now enjoying make modified Griffith Loar A-5 instruments from time to time. For now I prefer something different. I am amazed at how clean the notes coming out of both my KO and FF. I have to be honest it does not have the tone of a $3000-5000 instrument. It is pretty good for what it does. I just did not have to pay that money to get the playability and straight fun of enjoying a mandolin that cost me much less.

Maybe one day you could pick up a USA made Breedlove mandolin as part of your herd. I notice you have a lot of different musical instruments. Maybe it can fit into your range somehow.
    Nic Gellie

7. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

While these are not OFs they are kindred spirits.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201012_081225046.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	189091
    Nic Gellie

9. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

And I am very lucky to have found them.

I have playing with Butch Baldessari's homespun series 1 and 2. I really like his style of playing. I am getting back into some old-time music because it just seems to have that elegant simplicity and homeliness not so much found in Bluegrass tunes. I am mainly playing the FF here. I jump into Balkan, Quebecois, Spanish, and Irish tunes with the KO. I am sure the OF would be good at both.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    Should have. Just felt bad enough about it not being liked that I realized I'd never feel comfortable taking it out again. Am overly sensitive about things like that.
    I notice that your new Weber Gallatin is not far off your a Breedlove FF mandolin in terms of looks. In some ways you have gone back to a semi-traditional looking mandolin like the Breedlove FF which I have now. The Breedlove FF too does not have a bluegrassy sound and is good for a range of music.
    Nic Gellie

12. The following members say thank you to Nick Gellie for this post:

I am going to look at the OF I found tomorrow. I don’t really know how to tell if this is a good sounding Mandolin or not. The guy that has it bought it to learn on and never really did according to him and I don’t really know how to play anything yet. Anyone have any suggestions?

Do you have a mandolin-playing friend you can bring along? For a first mandolin, I don't think you can go far wrong with a Breedlove in terms of build quality, playability, and sound -- and if, as you progress, you feel you'd like something else, you should certainly be able to sell it for what you paid. I've been playing an American KO for several years and am very happy with it.

15. The following members say thank you to Peter Kurtze for this post:

Send some photos on the cafe when you have checked it out. If it has not been played for years it is likely to be in minty condition. People seem pretty happy with their American-made OFs.
    Nic Gellie

The owner says it is mint. As long as I see no issues with it I will likely purchase. One thing I am not crazy about is that it has a piezo pickup installed. I doubt I will have any use for that.

If it is installed it might be under the bridge or inside the top. It might be a K and K too. Ask him what brand of pickup.
    Nic Gellie

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Gellie View Post
    I notice that your new Weber Gallatin is not far off your a Breedlove FF mandolin in terms of looks. In some ways you have gone back to a semi-traditional looking mandolin like the Breedlove FF which I have now. The Breedlove FF too does not have a bluegrassy sound and is good for a range of music.
    True. However, my bandmate knew the Weber name immediately. As he said, he usually doesn't like bluegrass shaped mandolins (F style) but the mahogany back and sides on mine mellowed the tone enough for him to like it. Neck is still too skinny for him though. His Gibson has a huge neck on it. And it helps that I don't try to play bluegrass. So the folks I do play with are usually more accepting of the look.

20. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

Glad you got over the looks issue Eric. Well done with your choice.
    Nic Gellie

I am now the owner of a Breedlove OF! It is in perfect condition and plays well (as far as I can tell). It has a K&K pickup installed and came with a nice hard shell case. I am really glad I got this instead of an similarly priced import. I have a lot to learn but I have been playing guitar for 25 years so I don’t find it difficult to navigate.
    I want to replace the strings. I am thinking some Diaddario XTs. Looking forward to my new musical journey! I will get some pics up soon.

Excellent!

Well done and enjoy the journey with your Breedlove OF mandolin.
    Nic Gellie

Here are few pics of my new OF:

Name:	DSC_0291.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	1,023.6 KB 
ID:	189304

Name:	DSC_0293.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	189305

Name:	DSC_0294.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	960.6 KB 
ID:	189306

Really enjoying this thing! Lots of fun - plays and sounds great!

Find the right pick for you and your mandolin and you will be surprised at how well it sounds. It is very clear and balanced.
    Nic Gellie

I have been trying a few different picks. Primetone 1.3 and a Golden Gate are my current favorites. I have a couple tunes down and the G scale so far! And most of the moveable chords.
    Last edited by LJOHNS1; Oct-21-2020 at 5:47pm.

On my KO I use a Jim Dunlop black 1.0 pick for Celtic and Old-time music. On my FF similar to OF I use a Wegen 1.2 for bluegrass and Jazz and use a 0.7 mm shiny pick for Celtic Balkan and Old-time music to get a brighter sound.

Well done in your first immersion into mandolin music. Buena suerte.
    Nic Gellie

Though you said you'd likely not use it, those K&K pickups are pretty dependable. And when installed internally as your's appears to be, are unobtrusive. Most of the time those are $150.00 installed, IIRC. It's a nice deal at $700.00 even without it.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

Blog Entries

I had a Oregon made KF for a while. I liked the plain finish and design. The neck was pretty substantial and rounded. I didn't think it sounded any better or worse than my Eastman F Hole mandolin. I ultimately moved it along as the neck wasn't my cuppa tea. The tuners held well and the stamped tailpiece was functional.

If you're not put off by nontraditional designs and like their finishes (i liked the plain or black but disliked their sunburst ones YMMV) I think they are very good. Bonus of mandolins used is you can usually move them along if it doesn't work out and not really lose anything on the process.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +