Thread: Best selections of mandolins near Houston TX

Default Best selections of mandolins near Houston TX

I have to be in Houston in a couple of weeks (I live outside the US) and I'm looking for a new backup mando to keep for practice at a second house ($1000 to 1500 range). I'm also looking for an octave mando.
    Where are the best places to look in the Houston area?
    Thanks
    Steve Barnett
    Panama

Northfield 4th Gen F5
    Stagg (for throwing on the back of the motorcycle,
    camping at the beach, or using for kindling)

Default Re: Best selections of mandolins near Houston TX

Not much in the way of mandolin-centric options, the assorted Guitar Centers here sometimes have interesting used things show up, and the other guitar stores like Memorial Music, Rockin Robin, Fullers, have some new/used options as well. Fiddler's Green in Austin might be a better option if you can make the trip over there.

3. The following members say thank you to Seter for this post:

I don't think Fiddler's Green is still in Austin. The ownership has changed and it's actually closer to Houston but I'm not certain of the location. There was an article here at the Cafe regarding the change.

Layer of Complexity Kevin Knippa's Avatar

Fiddler’s Green is in Lockhart, TX, now. Take I-10 west from Houston then north on TX-71.

Lockhart is 2.5 hours from houston closer to austin, fuller's guitars has mandolins looks like mostly Eastman... it is a great store for acoustic insterments.
    Eastman MD515
    Kentucky KM-180S
    Kentucky KM-252
    Rogue RM-100A crash test dummy mandolin,

Fuller's may be the best store for acoustic guitars in Texas right now, but Fiddler's Green always has a much better mandolin selection. I have two mandolins and an octave that came from Fiddler's Green. I haven't been in since they moved to Lockhart though, and I can't make heads or tails of how that's supposed to be a good business move. Like someone else said, the typically most of what Fuller's has are Eastmans. Sometimes they have something nicer, but it's hit or miss. I wouldn't waste my time with Rockin' Robin.

Hill Country Guitars used to stand head and shoulder over all of them for acoustic instruments. They are much missed.

As others have said, Fullers is the one shop in Houston that will have a selection to play. Note that their entire inventory is not online, although the new stuff is mostly Eastman. My last few times in they have had used Flatirons, and 20's era Gibson A models.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dodson View Post
    I haven't been in since they moved to Lockhart though, and I can't make heads or tails of how that's supposed to be a good business move.
    Considering the increasing cost of rent in Austin, it was a wise, if not probably necessary move. Also, Lockhart seems to be attracting many Austinites who are fleeing the high cost of living, rent, traffic, etc. There is an emerging a music scene there. Ben is a great guy, and I'll continue to buy instruments from him.

I agree with the sadness of the loss of Hill Country guitars. What a great place that was.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18