Thread: Bridge for El Dega Mandolin

Default Bridge for El Dega Mandolin

Someone gave me an El Dega bowl back mandolin (see photos) but it is missing the bridge. Does anyone know where I can get one? I play guitar, not mandolin (yet) so I don't want to invest a huge amount. I've done some searching online but not sure how to determine the size and type I need. Any help is appreciated.
    Thank you.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8739.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	631.0 KB 
ID:	188963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8740.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	514.2 KB 
ID:	188964  

Default Re: Bridge for El Dega Mandolin

It’s an el Degas, marketed from TX, but likely Mexican, and fairly recent. A bridge on a bowlback is just a thin stick with grooves, homemade will do fine if you have trouble purchasing. It is located where the light area of finish shows, but check placement anyway. The height is whatever it takes to get proper string (action) height, but usually small, less than 3/8”. String grooves are sort of a whole topic, so read up, but their location is such that all strings lie within the fretboard edges - use a straightedge. Bridge is not glued down!
    Buy only light strings.
    My concern would be why this one is unstrung. It may be that it was beginning to fold up, had a bad warp in the fretboard, or internal issues. Possibly just a bad tuner or slipping tuner button, so I wouldn’t go too far before checking these issues.
    I have a wonderful flat top of the same brand that to my unprofessional ears, is a gem, a thrift shop item. However, it was beginning to have a fatal sinking top, and a too-low zero fret when it arrived. Both issues corrected by agricultural methods, and it’s what I mostly play, so good luck.

You can get one at Elderly but you're going to need to find a luthier than can slot it and perhaps adjust the height to meet your requirements. Your mandolin was probably made in Asia. You should take it to a luthier and you'll probably find you can buy an inexpensive starter mandolin for what you'll pay for the repair.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

There are a whole lot of threads regarding this brand on the Cafe. Most are Japanese models, two pointers and A style mandolins. Allen Hopkins has some company history in several of his threads. There are a couple of bowlbacks but you have to look for them. Take a look through these threads and you might see some of the history.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Gosh! Korea, Japan, Romania, laminate, two points, bowl backs, Aria, B&J imports, Canada, and what I thought mine was! More aliases than some fictional international agent. Good thing I didn’t show those threads to the mando; would give the poor thing personality problems.
    And definitely not the post about running its neck through a bandsaw.

It's an imported brand that's been around a while.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber