Thread: Trillium longscale mandola demo

Default Trillium longscale mandola demo

A couple videos with my new Trillium Mandola.

I've had it about 2 months and it's already my desert island instrument. If I could keep only one, the Trillium would be it.

Very versatile. Thanks to Bob Abrams for making an instrument that I will always cherish.

We make these videos for FB fans and friends. Feel free to skip the talky stuff but in the first vid we start with Fiddler's Green and end with Banish Misfortune. Second video is N.T. Wrighton's "Her Bright Smile Haunts Me Still" an old civil war era song inspired by the Murphy Beds version.

Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Chuck Leyda For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Trillium longscale mandola demo

Sounds great!!

4. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

Very nice playing and singing.

A friend just lent me his 25 year old Trillium octave. I heard that Bob was making only a limited number of instruments over the last few years and that he closed shop altogether more recently.

In any case, I want to explore this instrument. You call it a mandola but what scale is it and how do you have it tuned?

ah I found the earlier thread where Bob comments. In any case this sounds great.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks Jim

It's a really nice hybrid instrument. Great for accompaniment, solo chord melody (drone sort of stuff), and small enough scale to play leads to speed. The body is basically a bouzouki body with a mandola neck.

I highly recommend a Trillium if you can get one but Lawrence Nyberg and Nigel Forster are also building mandola with bouzouki-ish body instruments.

Here's John Doyle with a Trillium longscale mandola. Melody then accompaniment. Not sure why we don't see more of these instruments:
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com

7. The following members say thank you to Chuck Leyda for this post:

You don't see more, because frankly, Bob didn't make all that many. From what I understand from another local builder here he sold all his equipment and closed down his shop. That was about two years back.
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobar View Post
    From what I understand from another local builder here he sold all his equipment and closed down his shop. That was about two years back.
    I'm not making mandos these days, but I still have a shop full of tools where I build a few instruments for my own amusement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1664.JPG 
Views:	112 
Size:	683.5 KB 
ID:	191309   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1785 (3).JPG 
Views:	103 
Size:	486.3 KB 
ID:	191310   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1875.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	296.6 KB 
ID:	191311  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1897 (1).JPG 
Views:	132 
Size:	535.7 KB 
ID:	191322  
    Last edited by mandomentch; Jan-15-2021 at 4:47pm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mandomentch For This Useful Post:

Bob, are you getting your banjo hardware from Patrick from Balsam Banjoworks?
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

Other than the one tailpiece, no.....

Quote Originally Posted by mandomentch View Post
    I'm not making mandos these days, but I still have a shop full of tools where I build a few instruments for my own amusement.
    that nyckelharpa looks rather cool. Is it your own design or did you copy an older instrument?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Chuck very cool - great playing ( by all) on a wonderful Bob Abrams (hats off) creation.

nice nice nice tone on that dola!
    Stormy Morning Orchestra

My YouTube Channel

"Mean Old Timer, He's got grey hair, Mean Old Timer he just don't care
    Got no compassion, thinks its a sin
    All he does is sit around an play the Mandolin"

15. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:

"that nyckelharpa looks rather cool. Is it your own design or did you copy an older instrument?"

Jim....it is a tenor nyckelharpa, inspired by the wonderful instruments that came out of the collaboration between musician Johan Hedin and luthier Peder Källman.

17. The following members say thank you to mandomentch for this post:

From the little I know about NHs they are usually in the range of violas, more or less. Is the tenor lower in pitch?

I have always loved the music and a friend lent me one a few years ago but I decided to stick to fiddle and mandolin rather than play something new. Beautiful work though. Must have been fun to make.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Thanks TM.
    It's a beautiful versatile instrument! I'm pretty bad at keeping mandolin family instruments but this one stays
    Girouard Concert A5
    Girouard Custom A4
    Nordwall Cittern
    Barbi Mandola
    Crump OM-1s Octave
    www.singletonstreet.com