Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Octave Mandolin Strings

Default Re: Octave Mandolin Strings

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    "I have a related question. I hope this is not considered hi-jacking the thread - if so, please ignore me. I am looking for flat wound strings that would fit a 23" scale. If you have any ideas I would GREATLY appreciate your help. I asked one of the big string suppliers but he had no leads. Thank you."

Assuming this is referring to an octave mandolin see my response to Alan Epstein. A simple, but expensive solution is a set of Thomastik 185 strings, which are for the liuto cantabile (CGDAE), sized for a little under 61 cm (24 in) and so would be fine for a 23-inch scale. You would discard the C string (or keep it, if you ever get a mandocello). www.juststrings.com carries these, look under "lute strings".
    Robert I cannot find the tension on these strings - did you happen to come across it?

“There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats.” ― Albert Schweitzer

1925 Lyon & Healy Model A, #1674
    2015 Collings A (MT2-V)

Darwin, Strings by Mail has octave strings on their website. That's where I get mine from. Go to the Common Strings menu and click Mandolin, and D'addario. You'll find them there. Other brands may also be there, but D'addario octaves are on the website.

(edited) Ok, I just realized that you want ball end strings. I don't know if they have them after all.

Jack

3. The following members say thank you to JCook for this post:

Well I called Austin Clark at Clark mandolin in Boise, ID and asked him about the strings that he uses on his octave mandolins. Here is the skinny, Austin uses single ball end guitar strings D’Addario Phosphor Bronze 12-23-34-52 for his octave mandolins. After talking with Austin on the phone a couple times I ordered a Clark octave mandolin to go along with my 2point Clark Mandolin. I have to say Austin is a super nice person to work with when your having a mandolin built and his workmanship is excellent as you can see from the pictures posted above of my 2point Clark Mandolin.
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Here is a picture that Austin Clark sent me today after coloring the back of my new Clark octave mandolin to match the 2 point mandolin that he made me in 2019. It’s looking like he will have it completed by the end of this year.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C19670AE-4EE5-4923-B40C-809A3DCBA0A4.jpeg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.57 MB 
ID:	189782
    2023 A. Lawrence Smart A5
    2022 Girouard Griffith Tribute A5
    2021 Ellis F5 Special
    2021 Girouard Concert Master F Oval-hole
    2020 Heiden Artist Plus A5
    1992 Givens A6
    1919 Martin Style C

Quote Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
    Good info, but I disagree for a couple reasons:

1. These are the strings the builder recommended.

2. I use 13's (mediums) on several guitars, with a .036 D, on a 23" - 25" scale. Same frequency, 19% longer scale, only 10% smaller diameter.
    http://www.emando.com/
    Has ball end and sells in bulk, will make any gauges sets.
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Collins-Hill View Post
    52, 35, 25, 15 is what D'Addario has for a medium mandola set.
    A Gibson mandola has a scale length of 14". I just got a flat-top OM with a 20" scale, but it also has about 8" of string between the bridge and tailpiece. Sound like @Baron you are saying these mandola strings work on your ~20" OM. Can anyone provide the overall length of these mandola strings before they are installed and clipped?
    2011 Ellis A Special #267-11
    2008 Cohen oval-hole 2-point #01301802
    2000 Rick Kirstiuk mandolin #1
    2021 Ken Smith Octave Mandolin #1