Thread: ISO a decent starter Mandolin

Default ISO a decent starter Mandolin

I am new to the forums and am looking to purchase my first Mandolin. I play guitar, upright bass, and number of other string instruments, so I know I want a quality Mandolin even though its my first one. I purchased a Kentucky KM-252 from Guitar Center. It played ok, but I returned it anyway since it came with some scratches from the factory. I was going to put new strings on it to see if that helps with the tone. I was also thinking about trying out the Kentucky KM-250 and KM-256.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be a good Mandolin? My price range is around 400-500, but I can lean a little either way. It doesn't have to be a Kentucky, that was just a decent looking brand and Guitar Center had a deal (plus good return policy). I'd be fine with getting something different from another shop.

Default Re: ISO a decent starter Mandolin

This is covered very often on this forum, so you'll be well advised to do a Google search on the subject. That said, the most common advice is buy from a dealer who does set up work before shipping out. A lot of folks (including me) would recommend a Kentucky KM-150 in that price range. Even those it's below the models you've tried, it often seems to sound better to many folks. Otherwise, I'd spend a little more and look for a Kentucky KM-505. A few friends have these and they are very nice instruments in the $650 range.

But no matter what you choose, the setup is going to be the most important part.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Flatiron 1N, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kramdog101 View Post
    Does anyone have any recommendations on what would be a good Mandolin? My price range is around 400-500, but I can lean a little either way.
    You don’t say what kind of music you intend to play, but to me, the best mandolin in your price range is not a starter. It’s a flattop, built in a way that is less laborious and time-intensive, resulting in an instrument that is less expensive to produce and therefore more affordable for the consumer. Some brands to consider include Big Muddy and Flatiron:

https://reverb.com/item/37668325-big...approx-natural

https://reverb.com/item/37360647-flatiron-1c
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

5. The following members say thank you to Charles E. for this post:

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Charles E. View Post
    Agreed 100%... this same model was my first and it was a great instrument that can last beyond being a "starter"... flat tops are also great, just a slightly different sound.
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 Hand Crafted Pancake

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

Most of this post is unnecessary backstory and musing just to illustrate these few points that, from what I have read are probably almost always brought up in many/most threads like this. Most of them have pretty well held true throughout my own experience:

1) if you can, try before you buy
    2) if you can't do #1, buy from a place that will do a good set up (probably like one of the mandolin cafe sponsors, probably not like guitar center)
    3) Kentucky and/or Eastman are good bets in your price range, though there are other options if you are open to them (flatops as mentioned above)
    4) You would probably (though not certainly) have to stretch your budget a good bit to see a significant step up in quality from said Eastman or Kentucky on arch top mandolins
    5) The Eastman MD305 listed in the classified from the Mandolin Store pretty well meets the above criteria, assuming the trial period is enough for you to feel like you gave it a good try and like the sound it makes
    6) strings and picks can make a significant difference in sound & tone on a mandolin
    7) you can get more for your money on the used market
    8) Your first mandolin very often is not your last mandolin

FWIW -

the mandolins I have played in your price range were a Kentucky km272 (*note - oval hole) and a couple of Eastman MD305 as shown in the link above. I liked both models.

I went with the 272 b/c I liked the arch top oval hole type sound more at the time. The MD305 I tried around the same time could probably have been improved to a degree with a better setup and different strings and/or picks. But it sounded nice enough and was squarely within the realm of playable, though hanging neglected hiding behind guitars at the far end of a generic chain music store wall.

I went with the Kentucky KM272 as my first mandolin. I still have it and like it a lot. I would have been served just as well with the Eastman as a first mandolin from a quality standpoint from what I could tell, though maybe not playability. Also, if the tone doesn't suit it may not motivate play/practice.

I did eventually buy an Eastman 415bk(mahogany back, f style, bit more money) from a semi local shop, just to have an ff hole mandolin for festivals/camping and such so I wouldn't have to expose my significantly more expensive Girouard to some of the inherent risks associated with those sorts of things. The only reason I bought the 415bk was because I was able to play if first and found I liked the darker tone more than an Eastman MD305, 315 or 515. I loved the set up on it and happened to have the extra money for the 415bk at the time.

Again, I would almost certainly have been well served by the MD305 and would have been happy and taken it home if the 415bk wasn't an option. I didn't like the MD315 or 515 any more than the 305.

I pretty much only play my Girouard these days, there are no festivals and this mandolin sounds and feels like home now. I probably would and should offload the Eastman if I wasn't lazy and unreasonably attached to some things. I could certainly use the $ these days.

If my Girouard was taken away and I was left with only the KM272, 415bk, or an MD305, I would be crushed and heartbroken and possibly consider random acts of violence in protest, or maybe just wander off into the woods to die cold, hungry and alone. But once I gained some perspective I would probably be grateful and happy to have and play such quality and good sounding instruments as the Kentucky or Eastman, they all had pleasing, though different tones to my ears.

All the mandolins I bought & own were set up pretty well on receipt. Two were from cafe sponsors (the Kentucky from Fiddlers green and Girouard from The Music Emporium) and one (415bk) from a semi-local shop called Meadowood Music run by a luthier that did a fantastic set up. The only one I played before bringing it home was the Eastman, the others were purchased online after 48hr trial period.

All that said, best I can do is guess what i think I would do if I was in your shoes. I would probably try the Eastman MD305 from the Mandolin Store, or that flat top Big Muddy if I was interested in that kind of sound.

But I strongly prefer to wear zero drop shoes with low to moderate cushion & stack height, wide toe box, USA size 10.5-11. Hopefully your shoes would fit ok.

8. The following members say thank you to Frost for this post:

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    But I strongly prefer to wear zero drop shoes with low to moderate cushion & stack height, wide toe box, USA size 10.5-11. Hopefully your shoes would fit ok.
    Altra? Do we have another runner among us?

yes, altra mostly. Trail running though, almost exclusively. My reconstructed ACL's and missing meniscuses (menisci?) really cant stand concrete

Worlds ok-ist mando playr Zach Wilson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    yes, altra mostly. Trail running though, almost exclusively. My reconstructed ACL's and missing meniscuses (menisci?) really cant stand concrete
    Makes sense, Altra does make some of the best zero drop, wide toe box shoes.

Back to the original post.... I cant recommend the Eastman 305 (or 304) enough. Because of its thinner, satin finish I think it sounds better than the sometimes over-built sounding 505 (or 504).

All great advice (except about the Altras. Can't wear them need some heel lift for achilles tendon). Eastman 305 - set up well is a good way to go!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

Blog Entries

I would make this suggestion:

See if you can borrow a mandolin, or some places rent. Some libraries are even lending instruments. But get one for a few weeks and see if you fall in love.

Once you fall i love you will be able to justify a somewhat bigger budget, (you play guitar and bass so you know what love can do to a budget). And if you don't fall in love, well you just saved even the few hundred you were gonna spend.

You can expect, in general, that a mandolin will cost about twice a guitar of comparable quality. Roughly. So if you take your mando-budget, cut it in half, and visualize what quality guitar you can get for that price...
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks everyone for the replies! I will probably go with the Eastman 305, but still have a bit of deciding to do. That $600 stimulus has increased my budget by a little bit.

I play all sorts of music and but mainly write music in the genre of Folk, Blues, Country, Jazz and Rock N' Roll. I'm a music major trained in upright bass performance, play piano, guitar, and anything else that has strings on it.

I said "starter" but I definitely want to put my money into something that will be a worthwhile addition to my collection, and that I'll be able to use professionally once I get my chops up a bit. It seems like the Eastman will do well, but like I said, I have some deciding to do with the slightly expanded budget.

15. The following members say thank you to Kramdog101 for this post:

I just took delivery of a Kentucky km-606 that sounds great, I’d recommend it if in the budget.

If yo play multiple instruments, you (most likely) have a pretty good ear. I am also a multiple instrument musician, and when I started on mandolin, I bought a "starter" instrument and quickly discovered that while it was a nice instrument, it could not do (expressively) what I wanted, and quickly upgraded. I would suggest trying multiple instruments (if you can,) but if you can't, you will likely need at least one step above a "starter" instrument. Probably in the $1000 range new, $600 -$700 range used. Happy hunting!