Thread: Tip for adjusting small or tight tuners

Likes quaint instruments poul hansen's Avatar

Default Tip for adjusting small or tight tuners

A lot of times it's not possible or feasible to totally loosen all tuning screws on old instruments and there is also little space between the screws.

So I took a mini screwdriver for standard bits and installed an electrical drill tuner bit and now it's much easier to tune my old mandolins.

It will also be very helpful for people with arthritis or for friction/violin

screws

2. The following members say thank you to poul hansen for this post:

Default Re: Tip for adjusting small or tight tuners

off the instrument you can oil them and spin the gears, even with just a hand crank peg winder with out worrying about the mandolin itself..

be mindful people do lose those screws holding the round gear on to the capstan shaft . loosening that invites it disappearing..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Default Re: Tip for adjusting small or tight tuners

I read the OP a few times. I thought you were talking about loosening the screws that hold the tuner plates to the headstocks. I think your contraption is to turn the tuner buttons if you have problems with strength in your hands. I understand now—I think.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1