Celtic and Christian fiddle and mandolin music
    zacharygraft.com
    facebook.com/zacharygraftmusic
    youtube.com/c/zacharygraft

2. The following members say thank you to zgraft for this post:

RFluke 

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Default Re: The Banshee on Octave Mandolin

Very ambitious, with all those triplets. Sounding good - solo.
    Session playing has brought me to give up on triplets in favor of doublestops because triplets tended to slow me down when everybody else was playing fast, and because doublestops added the volume I needed to be heard when everybody else was playing loud (bonus advantage: they make use of the sustain the octave is good at).
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice tune, good playing!

Nice playing Zack, and thanks for posting such a great tune, well done.
    You play guitar already?

You can post The Banshee here for more responses: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...782&do=discuss
    And join this social group if you want : https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67

Just realised something that you OldTimers will probably think is obvious, but the triplets in The Banshee are 3 or 4 note open string hammer-ons on the same string. There aren’t that many tunes where you can do that. However you can do these triplet hammer-ons further up the neck for other tunes/keys.
    I’m going to have to try to figure out some sort of hammer-on triplet exercise in G major.

Good one, what do you play it with to make a set? I tend to put it after 'The Maid Behind the Bar'.
    - Jeremy

Wot no catchphrase?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon DS View Post
    Nice playing Zack, and thanks for posting such a great tune, well done.
    You play guitar already?

You can post The Banshee here for more responses: https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/g...782&do=discuss
    And join this social group if you want : https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=67

Just realised something that you OldTimers will probably think is obvious, but the triplets in The Banshee are 3 or 4 note open string hammer-ons on the same string. There aren’t that many tunes where you can do that. However you can do these triplet hammer-ons further up the neck for other tunes/keys.
    I’m going to have to try to figure out some sort of hammer-on triplet exercise in G major.
    Well, with open strings, I only need to worry about what one hand is doing

And thanks! I actually don't play guitar. I'm a classically trained violinist, but I've fallen in love with the octave mandolin. May as well embrace nicheness!
    Zachary Graft
    zacharygraft.com

8. The following members say thank you to zgraft for this post:

Thanks! I'm loving the fuller sound that you can get with a good octave mandolin and pedal tones. Just don't ask me how I sound in say...Bb or Ab.

Yeah! The triplets can get bogged down, and then if everyone's doing them, then everyone's getting bogged down at a different pace.
    Zachary Graft
    zacharygraft.com

Nicely done, but I agree with what I think Bertram is saying. Specifically, the second set of triplets takes away from the continuity and drive of the tune. I thought it had a rhythm hiccup, but it doesn’t —it just sounds like it does. I think it’s because there is more emphasis on the first note of those triplets than on the next note, which should be what the triplets are leading to. I can’t tell from the vid but you’re picking all the notes there, not hammering on right? (I applaud that). If so, maybe try starting the triplets on an upstroke, then the following note will be on a downstroke.

Just my 2cents. It sounds fine.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

Nice playing! I built an octave mandolin long ago but my short fingers couldn't keep up with the reaches at tempo for celtic music. I've since become very enamored with archtop mandolin.

I'd be curious to hear about the builder of your OM. Is he Christian or is the peghead inlay at your request? At any rate, nice instrument! I also play praise and worship, but on a raging telecaster. Stay well!