Thread: Mandolin

Default Mandolin

First off, Hi Guys! I was just added as a member so thanks for the add and letting me in your forum.

A neighbor of mine passed away and his wife had contacted me about some instruments he owned. She asked me because I play guitar and pedal steel so she figured I might have a clue . She told me it was a couple of banjos and some other instruments. Well, I was surprised to say the least. He had 4 Orpheum No.3 Banjos, some B&D's, just an amazing collection. Then I found he also had a Gibson MB. Then I found the mandolin. I researched the logo on it but could not find a mandolin with this logo. If anyone has any clues, the help would be appreciated.

She is going to sell all of the instruments so I will probably list the Gibson MB here and the mandolin if it has any value.

Thanks in advanceClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Mandolin.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	941.3 KB 
ID:	188684

Default Re: Mandolin

I've never seen that before. You could post more photos to give us a better idea of the build quality, but my guess is it is not worth much. It might be a one off, or a hobby builder. Is there a label visible inside the sound hole(s)?

That's what I was kind of thinking but I will take some more pics.

Thanks Eric! Hey wait, Eric "F.". Is that your logo???

That headstock shape is redolent of instruments made by Oscar Schmidt in the early 20th century and also Harmony- in the 1920s and on a more exotic level, Larson. The initial probably relates to a third party vendor although it is possible it is a personalisation thing done for or by the owner- I don't think it is an inlay- just painted on, perhaps? There appears to be a rosewood veneer, so the instrument is of some quality although at what level would be determined by more photos showing the whole of it- front and back. I am assuming that the tuner units are behind a plate- these were often engraved but I imagine this is not the case with this mandolin.