Thread: Washers and buttons and coins. Oh my....

Default Washers and buttons and coins. Oh my....

The other thread had a link to Brian May using a sixpence for a pick, and I had always heard of Gibbons using a peso. I've also read about Django using a button.

I've never been able to master a round pick, and just wondered how many of you, and other famous mandolin players use unique objects other than "storebought" picks?
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Adrian Minarovic

Default Re: Washers and buttons and coins. Oh my....

I don't think they used these objects as is but rather reshaped them so basicly they used them as raw material. Back then there was not as wide selection of pick materials as we have. Now you can buy ready mede metal picks of many kinds. In Django's times button was most likely galalith (casein), the same material that many modern "boutique" picks and some more common brands use...
    Adrian

When I was in college I played in an acoustic trio and would often use unaltered coins to pick guitar if I had a gig and couldn't find a pick. It was a bummer to drop your last quarter on a small, cramped stage in a dimly lit bar. Then we'd pass the hat "so the guitar player on the end can find a pick to use".

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

I have tried round picks. I even had a friend that owned an antique / collectible shop look for and find me a casein / tortoise shell button. I am maybe to set in my ways but I prefer the rounded triangle shape.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I always heard Django lost his pick at one gig, pulled a button off his jacket so the show could go on, and then the legend was born. It wasn't his pick of choice; he was just improvising on the job.
    www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

A long (long) time ago in what seems like a galaxy far away, I was browsing at Dave's Down to Earth Rock Shop, and was inspired to acquire some polished stones that were grippable and had an edge that could be used for picking. I believe since then someone has marketed some that were intentionally shaped for this. I thought it was a fun experiment, but given how hard the material is, it's more like "fretting" the string at that location - kind of like trying to pick but getting a slide instead. I imagine someone persistent enough can use it to good effect but my experiment with it didn't last that long.

The Wegen on the left is a 1.0. That's about as round as I can get, but I dig it on mandolin.

The Slate credit card pick is home made and actually sounds pretty good, but was just made for kicks.

1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg