Thread: Tamco?

Default Tamco?

Anyone in the nether regions of the UK been to TAMCO recently? Trevor has been very quiet recently and it’s coming up to 6 months since anything on his website changed. Hope everything’s OK

Default Re: Tamco?

Well his Facebook page seems to have been active up to 16th August.
    I can see that he may not be wanting to buy in much more stock though.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...7217576018253/
    David A. Gordon

Thanks for that - I don’t do “facebook” but I did try the website link before posting and it took me nowhere; seems to be back up again now.

Trevor did threaten to discontinue his “blog and new arrivals” page a few years ago but kept it. If everything is now going on facebook, I’ll never be tempted to buy another instrument from him to add to the 6 he’s kindly let me take home since 2002!!!

Smile Re: Tamco?

I usuallu look at his site every day on New arrivals/blog as I am looking fir a Gibson mandolin and saw the Waterloo pic there for months. I emailed him about 3 or 4 weeks ago and he said he was open and would let me know. I was very surprised not to see anything 'new' on for so long but only Trevor knows why.

I'd be very disapponted as well as I dont do Facebook and therefore wouldn;t know what is happening daily. I assume the market is just dead but I could be wrong. I've bought about 4 instruments from Trevor and sold him a couple. As importing from USA is problematic with Cites and Lacey act then I would have thought TAMCo would perhaps get a bit more business. I know he has the same problems as everyone else with the USA Acts on woods, pearl etc. Carter Vintage quoted me $300 just to get a certificate on a mandolin which had pearl dots. Gone crazy.

I contacted him around a month ago via facebook to ask him what is more updated -website or facebook- because the instruments that were listed on both places didn't match. He told me to check the website, so I guess that what's there is what he has right now.

I don’t envy anyone trying to run a business like TAMCO in the current climate but it seems from what people say that things are struggling on. For some time, Trevor has exercised his penchant for photography by featuring instruments from odd angles etc. which, at least, indicates that things are still going on but for the last 6 months, nothing (unless, apparently, you’re a fan of facebook!).

I should add that I bought a Kimble from him before he’d even had chance to photograph it, another used one based purely on past experience and the fact that he had it in and a mandola immediately I knew he had the one I wanted - “blog and new arrivals” does have it’s uses!

You don't need to be on Facebook to look at his Facebook site.
    David A. Gordon

Hi everybody and thanks for your concern. All is well, new Eastman stock arriving soon. As some have noted it has been quiet this year due to the virus and having been closed for 6 weeks. So few sales mean I am not ordering much.
    Last edited by trevor; Sep-21-2020 at 4:33am.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tamco? COMPLETED

Glad to hear everything’s OK (well perhaps not quite everything), Trevor. It just seemed to me that a six month hiatus on your news page might suggest otherwise.

Stay safe and hopefully everything will soon return to something like normal; although, just having watched the one o’clock news, it looks like it might be “deja-vu all over again” (to quote my old mate Les Barker).

Ray

Hi Ray,

I just spoke to Steve who does my social media. He has been quiet due to personal problems in is family. Things should get back to normal (?) there/here soon.
    Last edited by trevor; Sep-21-2020 at 8:08am.
    Trevor

No panic, just as long as things are OK. Unfortunately “normal”, just like “nostalgia”, isn’t quite as good as it used to be!

First of all, I’m very pleased to hear that Trevor is ok.

Regarding Facebook - whether you think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, or a brain-shrivelling waste of time, Dagger Gordon is right. You can view Facebook pages without being a member. You just can’t post anything, or send and receive messages.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    First of all, I’m very pleased to hear that Trevor is ok.

Regarding Facebook - whether you think it’s the best thing since sliced bread, or a brain-shrivelling waste of time, Dagger Gordon is right. You can view Facebook pages without being a member. You just can’t post anything, or send and receive messages.
    Problem was, when I tried to view Trevor’s page just before originally posting, I simply got the sign in/login page - don’t ask me why (or bother trying to explain why!). Previous episodes of trying to look at facebook pages; usually on an iPad, have been met with endless pop-ups etc. etc. As far as I’m concerned life is too short to be bothered with such trivalities.

15. The following members say thank you to Ray(T) for this post:

Cobalt 

Quote Originally Posted by Ray(T) View Post
    Problem was, when I tried to view Trevor’s page just before originally posting, I simply got the sign in/login page - don’t ask me why (or bother trying to explain why!). Previous episodes of trying to look at facebook pages; usually on an iPad, have been met with endless pop-ups etc. etc. As far as I’m concerned life is too short to be bothered with such trivalities.
    Fair enough. It remains a fact though, that Facebook is generally more likely to feature updates more quickly than many web sites, which can often be fairly neglected in many cases, and much more likely to feature up to date clips of music and other activities which, while not necessarily being stuff you might put on a website, are often fun and keep you up to speed with musicians (or indeed anyone else) you might be interested in.
    David A. Gordon

Facebook may be the only way to access certain information. But it is also a business, run for profit, not for the benefit of its users. I often consider it the best way to hide or lose things. Sometimes I briefly notice a post which looks like it is interesting, even important, and I make a mental note to read it later when I have more time. But on returning to the site later, it has disappeared into obscurity. It may be there somewhere, but usual search methods often fail. One is very much left at the fickle whim of the FB business.

Don't get me wrong. There is plenty to not like about Facebook. And I certainly am not criticizing anyone for not using it.

But still, it's often the best way to keep up with things.
    David A. Gordon

I Find Facebook difficult, that's why I get Steve to do it.
    Trevor

People often accuse me of being difficult - which has nothing to do with facebook. There are plenty of other things I don't do either.