Thread: Recording Mandolin

Default Recording Mandolin

I知 looking to do some recording this winter, want to do videos for YouTube. I知 looking for advise on how to record through my iPhone . I want to use a mic not the one on the iPhone and also a audio mixer , Roland Go mixer? Also an on line video program where I can record multiple instruments and have separate screens on the video so I can back myself on guitar and also have another instrument all on the same screen, say 4 windows. Does anyone have a mixer that works well with a mandolin?
    Thank you for your help.

Default Re: Recording Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Donn1958 View Post
    I知 looking to do some recording this winter, want to do videos for YouTube. I知 looking for advise on how to record through my iPhone . I want to use a mic not the one on the iPhone and also a audio mixer , Roland Go mixer? Also an on line video program where I can record multiple instruments and have separate screens on the video so I can back myself on guitar and also have another instrument all on the same screen, say 4 windows. Does anyone have a mixer that works well with a mandolin?
    Thank you for your help.
    Hi Donna1958 and welcome to the Cafe.

While your questions appear simple on the surface, the situation is quite a bit more complex. Microphone choices and placement alone is a whole topic of conversation. Generally you'll want at least 2 mics - something like a Sure SM57 pointed at the 12th fret and a full range condenser to pick up the room sounds. You'll also need a room where you can record without outside noise, which requires a sophisticated isolation treatment. My condenser mic is so good it picks up the people across the street, so you have to watch it.

Mixers are another ball of wax. The cheaper they are the noisier they are. What I mean by that is there will be hissing or other electrical noise introduced into cheap equipment because of the low cost components and circuit layout. The more you spend the better you will get.

You're better off recording into something like a Zoom H4 than your iPhone, but here again recording interfaces and platforms are a whole new area of study.

As for video picture-in-picture - maybe something like Zoom teleconferencing can do it, but it will be low bandwidth and not very customizable. Here you're getting into high-end video recording and editing solutions that can go on and on and on.

What I use:

Mics - Sure SM57 (compatible) and tube condenser mic
    Audio recording interface - Focusrite
    Audio recording software - Cubase
    Video cameras - I run an A, B, C roll so I shoot with 3 HD cameras at different angles.
    Video editing - a combination of Adobe After Effects and Premiere.

Plus you need a room to record in, proper lighting and reflectors along with a video camera of some sort.

There are options galore, but this gives me pro video suitable for YouTube and burning to DVD or BlueRay.

Try www.videomaker.com - they have lots of info on shooting and such.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Verne Andre, thank you. I’m looking to make a few YouTube videos . I have a room to record. I have a shure m88 mic. I am looking at an App, Roland 4x camera, and possibly a Roland Go-mixer. Have you or anyone have any experience with this equipment?

A USB mic like the Apogee works great with the iPhone and iPad, get the one for Apple products.
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

Verne Andre, thank you. I知 looking to make a few YouTube videos . I have a room to record. I have a shure m88 mic. I am looking at an App, Roland 4x camera, and possibly a Roland Go-mixer. Have you or anyone have any experience with this equipment?
    I don't own a smart phone so I'm the last person to ask about apps and things. I'm a video producer (trained in the old-days) so my outlook is more pro-leaning. You can get results with phones and such but for the type of thing it seems you're wanting you may end up needing more traditional video gear.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

Thank you for your help.
    You should check out the Zoom Q2n 4k recorder. You can record video and just audio using it.

I put together a bit of a review: https://youtu.be/N06qbPyvQ0o

But here's the specs from Zoom: https://zoomcorp.com/en/us/video-rec...ideo-recorder/

It's a really great little device for the price.
    Zachary Graft
    Celtic and Christian fiddle and mandolin music
    zacharygraft.com
    facebook.com/zacharygraftmusic
    youtube.com/c/zacharygraft

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
    A USB mic like the Apogee works great with the iPhone and iPad, get the one for Apple products.
    I second the USB mic . Mine is a lower end ART and its quite remarkable.......
    Generally I use my Rode condenser in a very quiet, carpetted, curtained room ...point it at the TREBLE 'f' ( lower ) and my already -terrific -sounding KM 150 sounds like Gilchrist . Ok ....well maybe not QUITE that good .

I've video recorded a number of my own band performances with a couple of Zoom Q2n and an older Canon camcorder and more recently a Lumix G7 with 4K and then edited the multicam footage on a Win7 machine with Vegas. I do the multitrack audio separately and then sync it afterwards. Just reading about the devices a little it looks the Roland 4XCamera and Go:Mixer would do what you want. I think I'd go nuts trying to do multicam video recording and editing on a phone.

Thanks to all for your ideas