Thread: Shop goodwill flatiron

Default Shop goodwill flatiron

I sold a flatiron performer a years ago after a hand injury and have my eye out for one now but I think I should get one that is “whole”. But the one on the Goodwill site is kind of interesting. I won’t bid because the funds aren’t there for a purchase and repair work but what do people think

Default Re: Shop goodwill flatiron

Is it this one? - https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/103398384

If so, depending on the price, might be good. Paid $1000 for mine with a bridge pickup installed (could be factory). The one on auction is cleaner other than it will need a new bridge, tailpiece and end pin. And probably a different case. That one looks wrong. Maybe it's for a bowlback?

As to quality? Have to admit to a bias here - playing a 1989 Performer in my full band. The fiddler can hear it better than my Collings MT. Flat fingerboard, comfortable sort of v-shaped neck, no adjustable truss rod. Definitely more in the Gibson end of sound rather than modern.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

Teacher, repair person

I don't understand what I'm seeing in the pictures of the back of the neck. If it is not a reflection, it looks like new wood could have been grafted in for some reason[???]
    If it stays around $500, it's probably worth it to somebody who wants to fix it up. Maybe it only needs a bridge and tailpiece, maybe it needs a lot more. If it goes much higher, it's a gamble.

It could be someone has sanded the sides leaving the middle glossy. Not sure why they would do that, but if they grafted in new wood why spray only the new wood and not the whole neck? Looks weird for sure.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

That Flatirons has the integrated fretboard into the top. the Nashville Flatirons had the raised fretboard independent of the top couple with no adjustable truss rod make it a little less desirable than the Nashville ones. I am not sure I see an issue with the neck. I have owned five Flatirons (all Nashville era) and most had a very minor like or split in the finish at the neck and where the back join. All were stable with no issues but a few of these seemed to have issues at the neck joint? Not sure if the Montana and Nashville mandolins differ in with that issue. Value for that mandolin in good condition and setup well would be around $1000 so at the current price worth giving it a shot. Since it needs a bridge, tailpiece, case, set-up and possibly other work I would not want to invest much more than the current bid.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    I don't understand what I'm seeing in the pictures of the back of the neck. If it is not a reflection, it looks like new wood could have been grafted in for some reason[???]
    I'm pretty sure it is just a reflection. It looks a bit odd as most of us are not used to seeing our mandolins (or anything else really) in the artificial environment of the photographer's studio.

7. The following members say thank you to Cobalt for this post:

Teacher, repair person

I sure can't tell. A picture or two from another angle would be helpful, but we're not going to see anything like that from Goodwill. Bid at your own risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Northwest Steve View Post
    That Flatirons has the integrated fretboard into the top. the Nashville Flatirons had the raised fretboard independent of the top couple with no adjustable truss rod make it a little less desirable than the Nashville ones.
    I'm guessing one of those Nashvilles should be Bozeman?

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is just a reflection. It looks a bit odd as most of us are not used to seeing our mandolins (or anything else really) in the artificial environment of the photographer's studio.
    I thought it might be a reflection too, but it's the same reflection in two different shots. One only showing the bottom of the neck near the heel, but the same gloss in the center.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    I thought it might be a reflection too, but it's the same reflection in two different shots. One only showing the bottom of the neck near the heel, but the same gloss in the center.
    Well, imagine you have a large reflective silver ball. Then place it inside a white bathtub. The bottom half will reflect the white of the bath, and the upper part will reflect the rest of the room. I think something very similar is happening here.

It’s up to $876 this morning, so just about what I paid and sold mine for about 12 years ago— and it needs parts. So, just as well I didn’t get into the bidding. Now, I’m thinking I’ ll keep trying to set aside the funds and maybe keep another eye out for a Ratliff Country Boy