Thread: 8 string Uke

Default 8 string Uke

https://reverb.com/item/35742534-kal...cia-back-sides

I'm a big fan of baritone uke's tuned CGDA. They are so warm and easy to play.

I just saw this 8 string and well ....

Anyone ever try one of these?

Default Re: 8 string Uke

That’s a new one on me. I am not sure if I would buy it unless I could try it out first. Definitely interesting though

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    That’s a new one on me. I am not sure if I would buy it unless I could try it out first. Definitely interesting though
    Same here.
    I'm also beginning to think I like baritone ukes because of the single course.

I’ve got one. It has a nice tone,Well built, and loud. Lower two strings are are tuned in octaves . It works well for some things, but it works really great for others. You get a lot more latitude if you’re trying to go just a bit lower from the B string - It seems to have more punch than a regular baritone. The only thing I don’t like at this point is the limited selection of strings sets. I’ll figure it out of course, but right now it seems that only Aquila offers a set

Quote Originally Posted by Sittius View Post
    I’ve got one. It has a nice tone,Well built, and loud. Lower two strings are are tuned in octaves . It works well for some things, but it works really great for others. You get a lot more latitude if you’re trying to go just a bit lower from the B string - It seems to have more punch than a regular baritone. The only thing I don’t like at this point is the limited selection of strings sets. I’ll figure it out of course, but right now it seems that only Aquila offers a set
    At the moment I'm using classical guitar strings on my 4 strings. The selection is mind boggling.

More punch? Hmmm that sounds good.

I have one - an Eddy Finn model with a neck that's 1.75" wide - like a guitar.
    I have it strung up with certain gauges of silk'n'steel strings and play it as a downtuned mandolin.
    It's been working great - I like mandolin, but can't play those toothpick necks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mando Uke 001.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	188590  

7. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    It's been working great - I like mandolin, but can't play those toothpick necks.
    I feel the same way. I love mandolas for that reason.

I'm surprised to see another one. This one with a guitar like neck.

I've been thinking of trying steel strings. Maybe silk and steel is a good idea.

Blog Entries

Plenty loud for a uke. Really fun to play. The high low courses on the lo end work similar to 12 string guitar. Works well for playing melody because of the volume and tone across all strings. I liked my $130 Mykala so much I have someone building me one.

10. The following members say thank you to Mark Wilson for this post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXf3TjfaaEw

One more thought on this.

There are a lot of YouTube videos about these instruments, but here is

a really unique tuning with what I guess a concert uke.

Quote Originally Posted by BoxCarJoe View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXf3TjfaaEw

One more thought on this.

There are a lot of YouTube videos about these instruments, but here is

a really unique tuning with what I guess a concert uke.
    Looks to me to be a tenor uke. Anyone have a clue of the tuning?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Looks to me to be a tenor uke. Anyone have a clue of the tuning?
    He says:
    3 groups of double strings and the high string alone as "chanterelle"

then in a reply he says:
    it's in fact the exact same tuning like an Ukulele just the whole thing tuned lower,from low to high: E double strings (like the high e on regular guitar) than A double strings (same as A second fret third string on guitar) than C sharp double strings(as second fret second string on guitar) and finally F sharp single string (as second fret first string on guitar) so basically E A C sharpF sharp,first 3 are double strings tuned exactly the same and the high single string is to bring out the melody playing out better,anyway you can play the same tune on a regular uke also since the positions are exactly the same

my head has exploded
    Last edited by BoxCarJoe; Sep-21-2020 at 8:14am. Reason: more info

Soprano, concert, and tenor Ike’s are tuned GCEA so this tuning would be a major third down from that tuning.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

It's baritone. I have one and for the price it's a great little instrument.

Roger: who makes it? I have been looking for a baritone, maybe not an 8-string but maybe. That guy is an excellent player.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Roger: never mind. Someone in the comments said it was a Lanikai.

Looks like that particular model is no longer made. I still think it is a tenor in the video above. Maybe you have one of the Lanikai 8-string baritones? I assume it would have a ~19"scale?

Kala does make an 8-string baritone. I have their cedar top concert and tenor and that 8-string is from the same series: Kala KA-ABP8-CTG.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Sep-21-2020 at 9:55pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately: