Thread: K&K pick up and Baggs Venue DI Help

Default K&K pick up and Baggs Venue DI Help

I'm playing a K&K pick up into a Baggs Venue DI. At home I have full use of the Baggs and sound, can use boost for breaks into my amplifier. When I play out running the Baggs Venue into the sound system amp, it is HOT. Have the volume all the way down, cannot use the boost. Seems the gain the only way to adjust any volume. I am using a 1/4 chord out into my amplifier at home and using xlr into the sound system amp. Could the XLR be increasing the power into the amp. Guitar has a K K also and using a Baggs Venue with XLR out as well and can adjust volume, tone and use boost.

Anyone have any thoughts or heard of this?

Dalton
    Last edited by dmaples; Sep-14-2020 at 8:11pm.

Default Re: K&K pick up and Baggs Venue DI Help

Does it happen with just this sound system? Have you tried this configuration with others?
    Being right is overrated. Doing right is what matters.

Northfield F5S Blacktop
    Pono MND-20H

Blog Entries

The gain control is intended to be used, it is the way to get your gain structure cooperating. Turn the gain down until the volume range is convenient.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

4. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

The gain knob is for input gain into the venue. Set it below the red light clipping.

When using the 1/4" output, the output volume is controlled by the volume knob.

When using the balanced xlr output it is sent at line level and the volume control does nothing.
    willi

6. The following members say thank you to mandowilli for this post:

Which sound system/ mixing desk ?
    On the Venue D.I. is there something like a mic/line level button ?

Unless your really playing at a loud volume ditch your amp and play staight thru your p.a. Only. Thats what everyone else does
    also get rid of that piece of crap pick-up and actually get what everyone else is using. Ronnie mcoury, thile and just about everybody uses the a.t. 350 . I run mine thru the baggs d.i. With a phantom and never had a problem... Even at loud volume. Thats how everyone else does it.

9. The following members say thank you to hermdawg for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by gspiess View Post
    Does it happen with just this sound system? Have you tried this configuration with others?
    no I haven't. The guitarist uses a K&K pure in his guitar and a Baggs Venue without issue. However, you have a valid point! Will try it and will try a different channel on his amp system.

Quote Originally Posted by hermdawg View Post
    Unless your really playing at a loud volume ditch your amp and play staight thru your p.a. Only. Thats what everyone else does
    also get rid of that piece of crap pick-up and actually get what everyone else is using. Ronnie mcoury, thile and just about everybody uses the a.t. 350 . I run mine thru the baggs d.i. With a phantom and never had a problem... Even at loud volume. Thats how everyone else does it.
    Hermdawg, I will give the direct input a shot. I'm not playing into a amplifier, playing from the KK to the Baggs Venue direct to the sound system.
    Will look at the AT 350. When you speak of McCoury, Thile etc.........I am little league at best. To be honest I haven't been that happy with the KK, it doesn't seem that warm. Harsh and cold. my Weber is 16 years old and warm and throaty. Thank you for you suggestion.

THANK you very much. That helps immensely!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmaples View Post
    I'm playing a K&K pick up into a Baggs Venue DI. At home I have full use of the Baggs and sound, can use boost for breaks into my amplifier. When I play out running the Baggs Venue into the sound system amp, it is HOT. Have the volume all the way down, cannot use the boost. Seems the gain the only way to adjust any volume. I am using a 1/4 chord out into my amplifier at home and using xlr into the sound system amp. Could the XLR be increasing the power into the amp. Guitar has a K K also and using a Baggs Venue with XLR out as well and can adjust volume, tone and use boost.

Anyone have any thoughts or heard of this?

Dalton
    The XLR out is very hot, try using the 1/4” out, and like others said, go direct without the amp.
    Last edited by Amandalyn; Sep-15-2020 at 9:08pm. Reason: Add on
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

bass player gone mando

I'm using a Fishman not the Baggs (although they look very nice), and I join with those who suggest the 1/4 inch output direct into the PA. As noted, the XLR can be very hot and, more important, it's not affected by the volume control so you are at the mercy of the sound person. Better to use the 1/4 inch out and control your own volume from the preamp. At least in most situations, IMO.
    Collings MT O
    Collings MF5 0
    Weber Gallatin Mandola
    Weber Bitterroot Mandola
    Weber Sage Octave

there is nothing wrong with your mando ...played a weber yellowstone for years ...loved it i think you will love the at 350 ...there only 150 bucks

Gummy Bears and Scotch BrianWilliam's Avatar

Wrong. Perhaps you meant to suggest the Audio Technica pro 35?

I own and like the AT pro 35 but it does not work in all situations.

Also, hermdawg, I disagree with you that the K&K is “piece of crap”.

Dmaples, clip on mics can work nicely but so can your K&K. You might consider a different preamp. I use my K&K equipped mandolin with a fire eye red eye with great results. FWIW, I did not like the sound I got from my Baggs Venue and sold it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilliam View Post
    Wrong. Perhaps you meant to suggest the Audio Technica pro 35?

I own and like the AT pro 35 but it does not work in all situations.

Also, hermdawg, I disagree with you that the K&K is “piece of crap”.

Dmaples, clip on mics can work nicely but so can your K&K. You might consider a different preamp. I use my K&K equipped mandolin with a fire eye red eye with great results. FWIW, I did not like the sound I got from my Baggs Venue and sold it.
    +1 I also use the K&K with a RedEye and love it. I also sold my Baggs.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

18. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    +1 I also use the K&K with a RedEye and love it. I also sold my Baggs.
    +3 on the K&K, assuming it's an Internal Twin installed by someone who knows exactly what they're doing. Also, I totally agree with you on the Red Eye. I struggled for a year to get a tone I liked through a Baggs Para DI and a Boss GE-7 for boost and tone control. Tried the Red Eye and was converted immediately. K&K Internal Twin into a Red Eye run straight into the board is basically all I need for gigs at this point.