Thread: Old Gibson Mandolins in UK

Smile Old Gibson Mandolins in UK

Seems like a lack of old Gibson mandolins in UK. I've been looking for a clean oval hole for a good while now and apart from a cream top A3 (which just doesnt appeal) just none advertised.

Where have they all gone?

I dont know if people see it as a bad time for someone to come to their house or what but over the years there has always been one or two coming up very regularly. As they don't really work for bluegrass and not the loudest in folky sessions etc I would have thought more players may be moving to F-hole mandolins and perhaps selling their oval hole ones. I can only assume they must be keeping them as investments or just playing them at home.

If anyone knows of a clean oval hole Gibson I'd be glad to hear of it. Sunburst preferred.

Default Re: Old Gibson Mandolins in UK

Bought my first mandolin in 1970 and umpteen others since then. I can only think of one I still don’t have - a loaned it to someone and have since lost contact with them. I suspect that people simply hold onto their old ones and have often wondered what has happened to the hundreds; nay “thousands” of guitars which have been sold in recent decades - they’re not like cars which rust away and get scrapped. Most of them must be mouldering away in people’s attics. My instrument count (which includes a couple of oval hole Gibson mandolins) is well into double figures and I have no intention/need to reduce it.

There was an all original 1923 A2 snakehead on eBay for ages but I imagine it did not sell as the price was pretty steep.

Registered User Sir Guy of Gibson's Avatar

I was about to suggest checking with Trevor in Brighton but it looks as if he is sold out of them too! What's going on? He usually has at least 3 or 4.

Personally I love my 1920 F4 for playing Bach and general noodling. It's shorter, wider neck and lower action don't lend themselves to the volume you need for live jamming, but it require so much less effort than an F5 - and sounds much sweeter!

Every player needs an old Gibbo oval hole! Good luck.
    2016 Gibson Sam Bush F5
    1937 Gibson F-7
    1920 Gibson F4
    1919 Gibson H1 with virzi
    1959 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    1956 Gibson LG1
    1925 Gibson TB-1 trapdoor b**jo
    Some other stuff made by National, Randy Wood and other cool people.

[QUOTE=Sir Guy of Gibson;1788887 It's shorter, wider neck and lower action don't lend themselves to the volume you need for live jamming, but it require so much less effort than an F5 - and sounds much sweeter!Every player needs an old Gibbo oval hole! Good luck.[/QUOTE]

My A5 has the same strings, same scale length and same action as my Gibson A2. Each plays very easy, no need for an F5 to play any harder than an F2.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Guy of Gibson View Post
    I was about to suggest checking with Trevor in Brighton but it looks as if he is sold out of them too! What's going on? He usually has at least 3 or 4.

Every player needs an old Gibbo oval hole! Good luck.
    I’d put that down to the virus and I do have a couple of old oval holes in the stable.

Incidentally, I used to be related to your namesake!

Hi Sir Guy. I had a 1915 F4 couple of years ago and that's the one I should have kept. I've had 7 F4s over the last 35 years. Seldpm to they work in sessions etc but now I ust play at home so I'll just have to wait till one comes up. I like the 1914-1921 style with no truss rod. Sunburst preferred.

Registered User Sir Guy of Gibson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy powells View Post
    Hi Sir Guy. I had a 1915 F4 couple of years ago and that's the one I should have kept. I've had 7 F4s over the last 35 years. Seldpm to they work in sessions etc but now I ust play at home so I'll just have to wait till one comes up. I like the 1914-1921 style with no truss rod. Sunburst preferred.
    I agree, few ovals can carry it in a session - but there is a sweetness in those old girls you don't get from an F hole.

Nice F2 just appeared on the classified. It's in France but no customs or VAT (at the moment, anyway)

https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/160826#160826
    2016 Gibson Sam Bush F5
    1937 Gibson F-7
    1920 Gibson F4
    1919 Gibson H1 with virzi
    1959 Gibson Les Paul Junior
    1956 Gibson LG1
    1925 Gibson TB-1 trapdoor b**jo
    Some other stuff made by National, Randy Wood and other cool people.

Yeah I did see that one. The very first Gibson I had in 1973 was a blavk A style but I've gone off black now. Lovely F2 at Elderly but 1926 so Vat and Duty and a whiole lot of hassle with Cites certficates etc.

Just a matter of time before something right comes up in UK. I have a wanted ad on Cafe. No real hurry.

<Removed by Moderator, please limit commerce to the Classifieds. Thank you.)
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Nov-03-2020 at 6:53pm. Reason: reference to selling removed

That F2 looks wonderful!

Nice looking F2 Kaye but cafe rules forbid selling through the forum, as opposed to the classifieds. You may be ticked off soon! You should get plenty of interest in it. As Jimmy says, they rarely appear this side of the pond.