Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 27 of 27

Thread: MuseScore software

  1. #26

    Default Re: MuseScore software

    I use MuseScore and like it a lot. I upgraded to v3 last week and noticed that it doesn't overwrite v2 if you install in a separate folder in Windows so you can run both versions. I upgraded because I wanted to download a score that was created in the new version and wouldn't open in v2.
    Rob

  2. The following members say thank you to RobH for this post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: MuseScore software

    Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    I upgraded to v3 last week and noticed that it doesn't overwrite v2 if you install in a separate folder in Windows so you can run both versions.
    True, but there was an unexpected problem after I did that last year. Unfortunately, that particular iteration of v3.x reassigned a bunch of my Windows file associations - things that the Musescore installer should *not* have even been messing with in the first place. Not acceptable.

    To make things worse, as it turned out, un-installing v3 did *not* return the file associations to how they were before. I had to manually and tediously reassign each and every of the multiple filetypes that the v3.x installer had altered. I was not happy with that experience.

    Hopefully they've straightened that out by now in the probably-many subsequent v3 releases (the 3-dot-somethings), but I'm not willing to be a guinea pig to find out.

    (I didn't expect that an app like MuseScore would totally screw up things in that way, otherwise I suppose I could have created a Windows "Restore Point" before running the installer... but that isn't exactly ideal either, because anytime in the past I've tried to revert to a previous Restore Point I had to also subsequently reinstall my entire antivirus suite because it doesn't cotton to such changes. I regard the use of System Restore as a last resort for major catastrophes, which I wasn't expecting from Musescore.)

    Anyway, I got that mess straightened out and got Windows back to how it was before I foolishly tried to "upgrade" to Musescore 3.x, so everything's fine again.

    There were other things that were deal-breakers for me, in that version of 3.x, such as the absurdly large mixer (other people have made complaints about that here and here, screenshots here and here). There was nothing wrong with the nice old *small* efficient perfectly-functional v2 mixer, they should not have changed it just for the sake of change. I routinely write for at least a dozen 'instruments' and often need to have mixer *and* score visible onscreen at the same time, v2 mixer fits fine, but gigantic oversized v3 mixer just didn't make sense, too big. Also, unrelated to the mixer, that version of 3.x had unacceptable problems with fonts, it was just on-and-on with the various problems, ugh no thanks. And no, it was not a beta, where one would expect such things.

    But...

    The (by now) tried-and-true older Musescore 2.1 works great and I'm going to keep using it as long as possible. That v3.x experience provided enough unexpected drama to last me for quite a while. A little bit of computer aggravation goes a long ways with me nowadays, I'm too old to spend all my time fighting useless troublesome "upgrades" when it doesn't need to be that way. I'll stay with what works.

    (Lest anyone think it's improper to whine about 'free' open-source software, in the past I have in fact made small donations to the Musescore project, back when they were producing releases that I found useful. I believe it's important to reward people for good behavior and support software developers who create things that work right. I might donate again someday *if* they ever produce another version that isn't riddled with unacceptable user-interface problems. I'm not a programmer so I can't help them with their coding though.)


    Quote Originally Posted by RobH View Post
    I upgraded because I wanted to download a score that was created in the new version and wouldn't open in v2.
    Yeah I can see that would be a reason to use the newer version. I haven't (yet) personally encountered that situation, as I don't ordinarily work with other people's actual Musescore files so it hasn't been an issue yet. I'd probably just toss the file out and rewrite it by hand from some other source (pdf or something), or look for an online converter if such exists, not sure.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •