Thread: Identify Vintage Mandolin Banjo

Default Identify Vintage Mandolin Banjo

I need help identifying an early 1900's Mandolin Banjo. It has a metal tone ring that sits on round head tacks. Does anyone know who made this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090424.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	742.5 KB 
ID:	188497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200909_211324.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	646.4 KB 
ID:	188498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200909_211358_HDR.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	282.5 KB 
ID:	188499  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1090426.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	728.3 KB 
ID:	188500  

Default Re: Identify Vintage Mandolin Banjo

Headstock shape looks kinda Stromberg to me, but I don't know what tone ring (if any) Stromberg used In mandolin-banjos.

You might also try a banjo website like Banjo Hangout. Real banjo experts who can probably tell more than I can from features like tuners, inlays etc.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Headstock shape looks kinda Stromberg to me, but I don't know what tone ring (if any) Stromberg used In mandolin-banjos.

You might also try a banjo website like Banjo Hangout. Real banjo experts who can probably tell more than I can from features like tuners, inlays etc.
    I don't see Stromberg (Chas. or -Voisenet) in the headstock. It actually looks like the same headstock used on turn of the last century Washburn bowlback mandolins. I just looked in Hubert's Washburn book and on page 171 he mentions in 1913 Lyon & Healy introduced new banjo styles with something they called the "Combination Patent Truss" with a tone ring resting on spikes.

The tone ring was actually patented in 1908 by William D. Bohnenberger who was not associated with L&H. You can view the patent here.

Very interesting that they used that headstock which doesn't appear in Hubert's book on any banjo that I can see.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Thank you Jim, That is great information. Probably as close as I'm going to get. The seller put bubble wrap around it and sent it in a paper bag, so the finger extension broke off. I was able to repair it and level out the fret board and put in new frets. With a med goat skin and a bridge that I made, it came out really nice. It plays really loud with low action and no buzzing. I think my mandolin playing son will like it!
    On to the next project for him, replacing a fret board on a 1907 Gibson A mandolin. I'll be replacing the walnut one with ebony and EVO fret wire.