Thread: Kentucky KM1050 Or KM1500

Default Kentucky KM1050 Or KM1500

I have a chance to get either/or one of these. The 1500 is about $750 more than the 1050. Both are pristine, but the main difference is the 1500 was made in Japan. Which should I really be looking at? Thanks for any and all input. Time is somewhat of the essence.

Default Re: Kentucky KM1050 Or KM1500

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedotom View Post
    I have a chance to get either/or one of these. The 1500 is about $750 more than the 1050. Both are pristine, but the main difference is the 1500 was made in Japan. Which should I really be looking at? Thanks for any and all input. Time is somewhat of the essence.
    Play both and whichever sounds the best to your ear is the one you should get !

They are on line so unable to play them.

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    Play both and whichever sounds the best to your ear is the one you should get !
    Good advice but it looks like that's not going to be possible.

Just a little bit of info that might help with your decision. The KM-1500 from that era likely will have a pretty slim neck profile and a narrow nut. The fretboards were almost dead flat with relatively small, vintage style frets. The KM-1050 will have a wider nut, a compound radius fretboard and modern style big frets.
    Some people find these things important, you may not but it's something to consider.

The 1500s from Japan are pretty well thought of and lately seem to reflect that in the asking prices. Hard to know if there's $750 worth of 'mo better' without a side by side comparison.

You probably won't go too far wrong with either. Good luck!
    "I play BG so that's what I can talk intelligently about." A line I loved and pirated from Mandoplumb

Adrian Minarovic

I've played several recent (from 2005-2015 or so) Chinese-made KM-1000's series and they were consistently good instruments (and I am picky), some even surprisingly good. I have played only two or three older Japanese 1000's and I could see less consistency in those.
    Adrian

Thank you for the info. The 1050 is gone and I really don't want to spend that much on a 1500. When you look at it, I'm almost half way there on price of a Gibson F5 or some other high end mando. I'll just continue playing my 855 Bella Voce Kentucky.