Thread: Do you think a Morris flat top would fit in this case?

Default Do you think a Morris flat top would fit in this case?

My new mandolin will be here tomorrow, and it comes in a soft case. I'd like to have a more resiliant one. I spotted this locally. It's intended for f-style. Any chance it would fit? What are the important measurements? I won't be able to measure the mandolin until I get it, but I could ask the seller about the pertinent dimensions for this one in the mean time.

Sue
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	188475  

Default Re: Do you think a Morris flat top would fit in this case?

This ended up in the wrong category. Not sure how, other than a lapse of attention on my part. Don't know if it can be moved. Intended to put in the equipment category

Suspect you’d be OK. I carried my Flatiron 1N in a regular A5 sized TKL for years without issue. When traveling I would pad the body and head stock with T-shirts just to minimize movement.

My Kelly A5 is presently in a Reunion Blues F style gig bag; the scroll space is just strap storage for me.

That said, I’m not sure what the dimensions are on the Morris, so hopefully someone who owns one will chime in. Congrats on the new mando!
    Chuck

4. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Too late. I missed it. Boy that went fast

I keep my Morris flatty in one of those generic hard styrofoam oblog cases made for an F model I had ,and use pillow case or whatever for a little padding. Does the job.

7. The following members say thank you to Frankdolin for this post:

I’ve had good luck with Gator cases through the years. They’re relatively inexpensive but hold up well. Calton quality? Of course not, but for everyday use and for car travel, playing at church, etc, they do well. I’ve had the oblong hard shell case for 16 years and it’s still in great shape. Their soft sided hard case looks a little better made to me than my Travelite, which is also a good inexpensive option, but the newer Travelites don’t appear to be the same quality as earlier ones, IMO.

Keep an eye on Musician’s Friend’s site. I’ve never bought an instrument from them, but have bought a lot of gear through the years without any issues, and they periodically have good sales or discount codes. Last time I checked they carried both brands I mentioned above, and have other options, of course. NFI, etc.

Hope the Morris arrives safely today!
    Chuck

9. The following members say thank you to CES for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by CES View Post
    I’ve had good luck with Gator cases through the years.
    Hi Sue,

I just wanted to echo Chuck's suggestion of the Gator hard foam and canvas case. I don't know how close the dimensions are between the Crystal Forest I had and the Morris you are getting are, but I tried my CF in a variety of cases and the Gator worked out best. A Hiscox also worked really well, but was huge to carry around. I tried it in the Hoffee I have for my Phoenix and that didn't work well at all. It would have been overkill anyway.

I really liked the Gator. It went all up and down the eastern corridor with me on Amtrak, playing with a group of friends in NYC, Philly, Baltimore, DC, Pittsburgh and a bunch of smaller towns. The Gator was great to carry, fit the instrument reasonably well, and had just enough storage. I sometimes used it for my Phoenix when I would bring that out to play and didn't feel like bringing the Hoffee. No comparison in safety, mind you, but the Hoffee is mainly overkill for me.

I needed to tuck a rag down at the tailpiece because the CF was a bit too short for the case, but that is a good thing, not a detraction. That rag was often handy.

Anyway, it is worth considering. I am really looking forward to hearing what you have to say about your Morris. I am a huge fan of flat-tops, as you may know. They really are my instrument of choice (note though that I am not a Bluegrasser).

I think you have made a great choice and I hope you love it as much as I have loved my flat-tops. A sleeping cat, a flat-top mandolin and a free afternoon. Life at its best!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

11. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post:

So is this the Gator case you guys are talking about?

The link doesn't work for me.

So it doesn't. So hard to keep links working. Let me try again. The long way.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator/G...74228064216.gc

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Rieter View Post
    So it doesn't. So hard to keep links working. Let me try again. The long way.

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gator/G...74228064216.gc
    Yup, Sue, That's the one. They give the measurements on that site, too, so that should help.

I hope you are lovin' that new Morris Flat-top!

Best wishes,

Bob
    Purr more, hiss less. Barn Cat Mandolins Photo Album

16. The following members say thank you to Bob Clark for this post: