Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: recommend me an acoustic bass

Default Re: recommend me an acoustic bass

Another long-time bassist here. I won't list my curricula vitae but i will say that i prbly had more fun as a bassist in a salsa band than anything (besides drumming of course).

My vote is for a $100 electric slab and small amp (available all day long on local craigslist). If one wishes to study, the upright affords arco technique of course - which can open up complete realms of music/musicality (recommended )

2. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Full time bass nerd over here, with some mandolin and others on the side. Not that it’s relevant, but to help with a misconception, double bass requires less left hand digit stretching than mandolin.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lowtone2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lowtone2 View Post
    ...to help with a misconception...
    ...And they fit (in the front seat) in most small econo-automobiles

6. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    ...And they fit (in the front seat) in most small econo-automobiles
    My mind went back to being a kid a seeing an early 60's Popular Mechanics magazine article picture of an NBA player (forget which one, the point being he was 6'10" or so in height) and he drove the then newly imported VW Beetle WITH THE FRONT SEATS REMOVED, sitting n the back so he could reach the pedals and steering wheel and have plenty of "leg room!" Anyway, good for a laugh........

I can still hear my late father telling me, "you know, they put a sewing machine motor in those things!" and shaking his head. "just listen to it, awful!"

8. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

Another long-time bassist here. I won't list my curricula vitae but i will say that i prbly had more fun as a bassist in a salsa band than anything (besides drumming of course).

My vote is for a $100 electric slab and small amp (available all day long on local craigslist). If one wishes to study, the upright affords arco technique of course - which can open up complete realms of music/musicality (recommended )

Catmandu, excuse my ignorance but what is a $100 electric slab? Do you mean a electric upright bass like Stagg or Cecillio makes?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_c=isi&im=_4823_85594823_pics_3118966549_1_3_NSoK6UrJ.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	188509

11. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    My mind went back to being a kid a seeing an early 60's Popular Mechanics magazine article picture of an NBA player (forget which one, the point being he was 6'10" or so in height) and he drove the then newly imported VW Beetle WITH THE FRONT SEATS REMOVED, sitting n the back so he could reach the pedals and steering wheel and have plenty of "leg room!" Anyway, good for a laugh........

I can still hear my late father telling me, "you know, they put a sewing machine motor in those things!" and shaking his head. "just listen to it, awful!"
    Wilt-the-Stilt Chamberlain!

13. The following members say thank you to Louise NM for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_c=isi&im=_4823_85594823_pics_3118966549_1_3_NSoK6UrJ.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	188509

Just for posterity and folks who have no idea what the term ‘slab’ really means in the guitar world.. The above pictured 60’s pbass wouldn’t be considered a ‘slab’ because it has body cuts and contours unlike a fender tele guitar or earlier 50’s pbass which are indeed referred to as ‘slabs’. Btw, is that an early pic of John Taylor from Duran? Taylor lives here in LA and has an active YouTube channel. One of the all-time greats, imo.

Here’s a pic of my one of one, double bound heavily distressed hippy dippy 1966 ‘slab body’ Jazz which was never actually produced. Built by Vince Van Trigt at the Fender custom shop in Corona. Hand wound vintage p/ups that sound as good as my original 60’s Jazz which I’ve owned since new. His chrome covers live in its case. He’s aptly named ‘bad bunny’.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B8669974-C138-4FE0-83A9-D7887C20265D.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	294.9 KB 
ID:	188515  
    Last edited by mtucker; Sep-12-2020 at 8:44am.

15. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

mtucker, I believe the photo is Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by fatt-dad View Post
    (I may have the washtub already - that and some parachute chord!)

Regarding Simon DS's questions, they're all good. She's not a music person at all! She seems to like the idea of thumping on a bass; however!

We'll see. . .

f-d
    Hey man, long time, we gigged for a few years in my original bluegrass band, and had a dude that played a tub, he was a freak, would play so hard his fingers would bleed, of course back then we were mostly wacked out our minds when we gigged. he used cotton clothes line line for a string, had huge bolt nuts on either side of the hole to help with not pulling the knot thru.

Dan.
    stroke survivor
    www.myspace.com/dtbtunz

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtb For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Wow! I gor a lot to catch up on!

Re: The EKO Bass (and others of such ilk), can you play them upright, i.e., have a stick to the floor? Seems a big box!

Re: The electric slab - hahhahaahhaaa! I got it right away and really appreciate the recalibration.

Re: The VW and the back seat. I'm 6'-5" tall. Not quite Wilt; however!

Fun reading this morning!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

If you want to get a decent upright, I'd recommend a Thompson bass from String Emporium in Arizona. Thompson's are very similar to Shen, and I believe the company was started by ex-Shen employees. They build all plywood as well as hybrid basses. For around $2000 you can get a hybrid, a great case, and Realist pick-up. The all plywood basses with case and pick-up are less $$$. I also have a Gold Tone acoustic bass. They come in two scale lengths, fret and fretless, and can use either steel or rubber strings. I use an Acoustic Image Upshot amp. It's super lightweight and fits in a backpack for easy travel. It sounds great with both the upright and Gold Tone.

21. The following members say thank you to banjoboy for this post:

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

There is an Acoustic bass EKO B.A / 4 fretless WITH FRET MARKERS Made in Italy. Ships from Munich for $52 ?!?!? https://ebay.us/JJ3NtS

It's a LITTLE PRICEY AND BEAT UP BUT IT'S AS GOOD AS IT GETS WITHOUT SPENDING THUNDERCHIEF MONEY.

Sometimes these are $400 in USA.

23. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DaveGinNJ View Post
    mtucker, I believe the photo is Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols
    Thanks man. I completely missed the punk scene but with COVID I’ve been traveling back in time and have come to appreciate many groups I never bothered listening to. I have a long list of great bands and great musicians I wrote off in the late 70’s, 80’s and 90’s including Duran. I’ve awaken. Vicious was rather cute and innocent looking back then!

Re: The electric slab - hahhahaahhaaa! I got it right away and really appreciate the recalibration.

Fun reading this morning!

f-d
    mr. biggs

26. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by j. condino View Post

A bunch of mandolin nerds telling each other what bass they should buy.....
    James, you can bring your Volkswagen Super Beetle crusher anywhere I’m at, man. Glad to have you!

Teacher, repair person

Sid Vicious was a violent and dangerous kid. He had a history of violent behavior, and was up on a murder charge when he died of an overdose at the age of 21.
    Had he lived longer, he probably would have spent half of his life in penitentiaries, even if had he managed to beat the murder charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rcc56 View Post
    Sid Vicious was a violent and dangerous kid. He had a history of violent behavior, and was up on a murder charge when he died of an overdose at the age of 21.
    Had he lived longer, he probably would have spent half of his life in penitentiaries, even if had he managed to beat the murder charge.
    Likely true and we wasn't even a good bass player. Lemmy from Motorhead was quoted as saying "Sid Vicious asked me to teach him the bass. After three days of trying I had to tell him, "Sid, you can't play bass." He said, "Yeah I know," all depressed. Two months later I bumped into him in The Speakeasy and he said, "Hey Lem, guess what? I'm in The Pistols!" I said, "But you can't play bass." He just grinned and said, "Yeah, I know, but I'm IN THE PISTOLS!" The Sex Pistols were as much about image as music and Sid had the image. Sorry for straying way off topic

If you're going the gastank route, I'd recommend the Pontiac T1000 with a middle school Kay 1/2 size neck......

Name:	DSCF3703.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	188520  

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldwave maker For This Useful Post:

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oldwave maker View Post
    If you're going the gastank route, I'd recommend the Pontiac T1000 with a middle school Kay 1/2 size neck......
    Did you build that!? I've long known about your creative instruments!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

FIDDLES with STRADOLINS your_diamond's Avatar

Re: The EKO Bass (and others of such ilk), can you play them upright, i.e., have a stick to the floor? Seems a big box!
    I have thought about that ever since I first saw one of these (mid 1980's). How great that would be and you would think stewmac.com would make one, like the original "amplified peg" on the Ampeg Baby Bass. Sadly, nobody I know makes one. Wonder if a bass drum leg would work?

The EKO is a big box. A small person might have to ride it to play it but where there's a will, there's a way.

RIP "Wilt the Stilt" Chamberlain (he hated that nickname): Could you imagine him asking the car salesman, "Could you remove the front seat".

34. The following members say thank you to your_diamond for this post:

When I bought my first car back in the late 60's it was a 64 VW Beetle. I was able to buy these seat extender brackets to move the driver's seat back about so it touched the back seat. I couldn't drive it otherwise. I'm only 6 foot.

Building a peg for an EKO shouldn't be all that hard. Look at the side peg on the Mando Bass. You should be able to find something.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    When I bought my first car back in the late 60's it was a 64 VW Beetle. I was able to buy these seat extender brackets to move the driver's seat back about so it touched the back seat. I couldn't drive it otherwise. I'm only 6 foot.

Building a peg for an EKO shouldn't be all that hard. Look at the side peg on the Mando Bass. You should be able to find something.
    My mother could fit my 1/2 and 1/2 size bass in her VW Beetle when I was in elementary and junior high school. She went from that to a station wagon and life became a lot easier.

FWIW, there are a number of Martin -15 series basses for sale right now. Here's just one - https://davesguitar.com/products/mar...ustic-bass-99/ No connection except have bought a number of guitars from Dave's over the last 30 years.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

38. The following members say thank you to Eric Platt for this post:

This would be a good gigging rig too...

Name:	0BAC9C48-14DA-4DE5-9663-93599B975F5B.jpeg 
Views:	63 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	188532  

40. The following members say thank you to mtucker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by oldwave maker View Post
    Bill! I was hoping you would show up with the Pontiac tank! I couldn't locate my pic of it.

42. The following members say thank you to TheMandoKit for this post: