Thread: An article on historic stringing

Default An article on historic stringing

For the few nerds who may care about historic mandolins, I'm hoping to digest this one more fully in the near future: Mimmo Peruffo's Aquila Corde blog entry on mandolin strings.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eugene For This Useful Post:

Default Re: An article on historic stringing

Very interesting. thanks for sharing, Eugene. I will be experimenting with these ideas at some point.

Barry

4. The following members say thank you to btrott for this post:

Cheers, Barry!

6. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

btrott 

Incredible scholarship and technical information. Even though it is beyond my range of "doing anything" with this, I am impressed. Too many people take what is in front of them and assume "it's always been that way" or "why bother" looking into historical considerations. I am a retired choral musician, and a one-time Bach scholar. I have old recordings of 17th and 18th century music that sound like the Metropolitan Opera. I much prefer the musicians who show respect and knowledge of what the composer intended and what the sonic "vision" (bad metaphor mix) was. At the same time, the absolute purist ("That ain't BLUEGRASS!!) is stuck in an unrealistic world where music does not grow or change.
    I play a Gibson K4 mandocello and along with others am on a crusade to raise the interest of this instrument's solo as well as ensemble playing. That has taken me into both historic considerations and very contemporary works. It's a good time to be a mandolinist, in whatever octave.
    Thank you for this enlightening post.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Cheers, Jim. I find playing earlier incarnations of mandolin a bit revelatory . . . and big fun.

10. The following members say thank you to Eugene for this post:

btrott