Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cafe User: Br1ck

Default Cafe User: Br1ck

Anybody heard from Br1ck recently? He was active at the Cafe but haven't seen him in the forums for a while. With the world gettin' weird just thought I'd make sure he's okay. (hope this kind of post is allowed?)

How are y'all doing?

Default Re: Cafe User: Br1ck

He’s over on the Acoustic Guitar Forum
    "your posts ... very VERY opinionated ...basing your opinion/recommendations ... pot calling ...kettle... black...sarcasm...comment ...unwarranted...unnecessary...."

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandobar For This Useful Post:

And the UMGF as well.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

And LetsTalkGuild.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

6. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Sounds like he went over to the dark side.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Jim beat me to it.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

At least he didn’t take up the banjo.
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill McCall For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McCall View Post
    At least he didn’t take up the banjo.
    Actually we corresponded about a banjo I had for sale several months ago.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pops1 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    Actually we corresponded about a banjo I had for sale several months ago.
    He'll be back when he comes back to his senses.
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't comment on this, but I through my back out this morning and I'm in some pain, so why not! I've always found humor in folks who come on the forums here as the ultimate "authority" after playing mando for a couple of weeks. There have been several prior to Br1ck. And I will say he lasted longer than most of them, and may actually knew (knows) what he's talking about. I do feel like cautioning some of the newbies who may actually take some of the bogus advice handed out by these folks, but never do. I've had some productive PM's with Br!ck and would hope he returns, but I'll stay silent on these other "authorities" and leave it at that. There are some long term people posting on here whose opinions I actually value though. Keep up the banter!
    Thanks

Several mandolins of varying quality-any one of which deserves a better player than I am.......

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Scott For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scott View Post
    ...There are some long term people posting on here whose opinions I actually value though...
    And then, there's me -- often wrong, but never in doubt...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

19. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Decipit exemplar vitiis imitabile

While I still have registration with many of the guitar related sites, rarely go there anymore. Most of them, with the exception of the Martin forum, became way too angry for my tastes.

Sadly, this site is becoming that way, too. It's another reason why I've tried to cut back on my posting. Don't want to add to the negative. Besides the fact that I more and more understand that I know nothing whatsoever about mandolins or music.
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eric Platt For This Useful Post:

Well, ordinarily I wouldn't comment on this, but I through my back out this morning and I'm in some pain, so why not! I've always found humor in folks who come on the forums here as the ultimate "authority" after playing mando for a couple of weeks. There have been several prior to Br1ck. And I will say he lasted longer than most of them, and may actually knew (knows) what he's talking about. I do feel like cautioning some of the newbies who may actually take some of the bogus advice handed out by these folks, but never do. I've had some productive PM's with Br!ck and would hope he returns, but I'll stay silent on these other "authorities" and leave it at that. There are some long term people posting on here whose opinions I actually value though. Keep up the banter!
    Mike, I agree with you which is why I am going for the long term board lurker award. I think I average 10 posts a year, LOL.
    I can only play half as much as I want, because I only play half as much as I would like.

I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of his behavior as an authority or otherwise? I'm not judging his skill or behavior. I was just curious where he went and if he was okay. I've got that same curiosity for some others that are on the forums less often but his departure felt a lot more stark; one day he was posting daily and the next he wasn't. Again, the world is getting weird, just wanted to make sure he was okay. If there's drama around his departure I really have no desire to dredge it up or rehash it, I'm pleased with my ignorance on the matter. Lol

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Em Tee For This Useful Post:

I’m not sure why it’s necessary to refer to other musicians, regardless of their time spent in pursuit of an endless journey, as newbies, as something “less-than.” I’ve recognized this trend you mention, but also have noticed a trend in posts such as this, which to me are significantly more off-putting. To ask and offer advice, the act of researching a response, etc. is a method of learning in itself and helps to build up a positive atmosphere in community of artists who support one another.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around and play mandolin.”

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Isaac Revard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Platt View Post
    While I still have registration with many of the guitar related sites, rarely go there anymore. Most of them, with the exception of the Martin forum, became way too angry for my tastes.

Sadly, this site is becoming that way, too. It's another reason why I've tried to cut back on my posting. Don't want to add to the negative. Besides the fact that I more and more understand that I know nothing whatsoever about mandolins or music.
    Eric,
    I was a bit surprised by your comment. I have found this to be one of the most civil message boards that I use. It most cases the few personal attacks or political posts that pop up are handled quickly. I would be ecstatic if the other boards I visit were this civil

29. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DaveGinNJ For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Br1ck was a helpful and informative gent and I have missed his frequent posts. I am glad he is out there in the digital world exploring and do hope he returns. The mandolin world can grab a guitarist quickly, as I discovered in 2013, and when I started getting support from this forum in 2014 my fun really took off. Sometimes we just need to take a break. We miss you Br1ck!
    2014 BRW F5 #114
    2022 Kentucky KM 950 Master Model

YouTube Original Recording of My composition "Closer Walk"

This is the friendliest, most informative music forum on the internet. Period. Full stop.

32. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

www.condino.com

Crafted by hand in a workshop powered by the sun.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to j. condino For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Em Tee View Post
    I have no idea what you are talking about in terms of his behavior as an authority or otherwise? I'm not judging his skill or behavior. I was just curious where he went and if he was okay. I've got that same curiosity for some others that are on the forums less often but his departure felt a lot more stark; one day he was posting daily and the next he wasn't. Again, the world is getting weird, just wanted to make sure he was okay. If there's drama around his departure I really have no desire to dredge it up or rehash it, I'm pleased with my ignorance on the matter. Lol
    I'm with Em. I wouldn't appreciate a discussion of my personality or behaviour on the Forum. If anyone's unhappy with things I say, I'd hope they'd either address me personally, perhaps through a PM (personal message), or contact the moderators if they felt that I was too far out of line. I've had occasional disagreements with folks, and sometimes sent out or received apologies. I too really enjoy this online community, dominated by friendly and helpful people. (By the way, you could send a PM to Brick by clicking on his avatar.)
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

36. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ranald For This Useful Post:

Im learning. And will be for a long , long time. To many good folk here with lots of experience in the Mandolins. I read and learn. I only know a little of what I own and try to play .

Thanks for allowing me to-be apart of the group.

Blog Entries

Seriously, particularly this year, if someone goes missing from our community it's natural to hope they're ok.

I take this thread, and most threads here in the Cafe, at face value.

We miss Br1ck.

(And, he'd probably get a big on his face if he knew we were expressing this.)
    -- Don

"Music: A minor auditory irritation occasionally characterized as pleasant."
    "It is a lot more fun to make music than it is to argue about it."

2002 Gibson F-9
    2016 MK LFSTB
    1975 Suzuki taterbug (plus many other noisemakers)
    [About how I tune my mandolins]
    [Our recent arrival]

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dhergert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ranald View Post
    If anyone's unhappy with things I say, I'd hope they'd either address me personally, perhaps through a PM (personal message)
    Oops, make that "Private Message."
    Last edited by MikeEdgerton; Sep-07-2020 at 8:50am. Reason: Fixed quote syntax
    Robert Johnson's mother, describing blues musicians:
    "I never did have no trouble with him until he got big enough to be round with bigger boys and off from home. Then he used to follow all these harp blowers, mandoleen (sic) and guitar players."
    Lomax, Alan, The Land where The Blues Began, NY: Pantheon, 1993, p.14.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoMandoAlex View Post
    Mike, I agree with you which is why I am going for the long term board lurker award. I think I average 10 posts a year, LOL.
    You're on the short list, for sure.....
    1933 Gibson A-00 (was Scotty Stoneman's)
    2003 Gibson J-45RW (ebony)
    2017 Gibson J-15

The Murph Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg