Thread: Info about bean blossom mandolin

Default Info about bean blossom mandolin

Looking for any info on this mandolin.i think it's a bm2Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200902_123357.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	188272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200902_123357.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	668.3 KB 
ID:	188272

Default Re: Info about bean blossom mandolin

Looks like this BM-2 currently on eBay, so I think you're right about the model ID.

Info would be, Asian-made all-plywood mandolin, from the "Bean Blossom" line marketed by Morgan Monroe. The name associated with the Bean Blossom Bluegrass Festival that Bill Monroe held at his "country music park" in Brown County IN, and that is still going, though not this year.

In my recollection, Morgan Monroe aimed marketing of "Bean Blossom" instruments at the entry-level bluegrass market, and that the lower-range plywood models had single-digit designations, while the solid-wood models were designated "100," "200," etc. It was basically a budget line; marketing contains lines like "just like their big brothers," the regular Morgan Monroe models. Don't know if the line's discontinued; the few listings I find show prices for the single-digit models of less than $200, so that's the general quality level you're dealing with.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Default Re: Info about bean blossom mandolin

Thanks for the info. I could only find a few posts about them so I figured they weren't the best but I got it cheap at a thrift store. I only started playing in March and it's a step up from the rogue I bought.