Thread: Cortez Mandolin F-Style

Default Cortez Mandolin F-Style

Hello People!
    I just got myself a Cortez F-Style Mandolin and the only Information I have is, that it's build in Japan for a German Company called C.A. Götz jr. Gesmbh.
    I'm not able to find a second model of this one on the Internet. There are just some A-models and classic models. I read that they are built by Suzuki. I just want to know more about the Age, Value and Materials. Maybe somebody can help me out. Greets from Gosau am Dachstein

Default Re: Cortez Mandolin F-Style

Here is some history on Cortez:

Cort guitars is based in North Brook, Illinois, offers guitars made in Korea.
    Jack Westheimer set up business connections with Japanese guitar makers in the 1960s to import Japanese made guitars into America. Some of the brands that Jack Westheimer is associated with were Teisco, Cortez, Pearl, Silvertone, Kingston, Cort and many others.
    In 1973, Jack Westheimer founded the Yoo-Ah company (“you-and-I”) in South Korea with Young H. Park as a business partner.
    The Yoo-Ah company would eventually be called Cor-Tek which was named after Jack Westheimer’s Cortez brand name. Young H. Park eventually acquired the operations of the Cor-Tek company. Cor-Tek manufactures Cort branded guitars as well as engaging in concha OEM manufacturing for numerous brands such as Lotus. [Source: Wikipedia]

As far as value, it's rarity in itself does not necessarily add value, I suspect it would be valued similar to other imports from the 70's or so. Laminates were often used for back and sides and often, the tops. I could be a pressed top or carved. All of these factors affect value. A picture might help but I think you get the idea. Hope this helps.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

3. The following members say thank you to jim simpson for this post:

It's always good to post pictures.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

Thanks a lot for the fast answer! I have some pictures in the link below. Whats the best way to post pictures here? I hope it works
    https://s.amsu.ng/YmDE4GngLnGN

7. The following members say thank you to MandoStuma for this post:

For posterity:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cortez-F-1.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	152.3 KB 
ID:	188302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cortez-F-2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	188303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cortez-F-3.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	87.4 KB 
ID:	188304  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cortez-F-4.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	151.3 KB 
ID:	188305   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cortez-F-5.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	188306  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

It definitely has that Japanese F5 vibe. Hopefully one of our resident 70's era Japanese mandolin experts can use the unique features of the instrument and possibly identify a factory. I doubt it was built by Suzuki but I could be wrong.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

10. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

Blog Entries

Looks like she has possibilities! These can be great mandolins if re-worked only if bought cheap enough, looks like some nice wood! I like that old school Gibson style double flowerpot

I have an early 70's made in Japan Cortez Les Paul Goldtop electric guitar. It is good, but not great quality, IMHO. My guitar was said to come from the Matsumoku factory, according to online fansites.

Judging from the pictures, your Cortez mandolin seems to have more quality and attention to detail than my guitar. Possibly made in a different factory or maybe different grades of quality were offered depending on the model......just a guess?

The mandolin looks pretty nice, and looks carved. I had a Cortez 12-string many years ago.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Hey Guys! Thanks for your informations! I'm very excited. I finally got a message from the boss of the GoetzCompany. He wrote that they don't have informations about the 60s and 70s anymore. But he can remember that this Mandolin was built by the Company Kasuga in Nagoya, Japan for a short time. It was the more expensive Mandolin they had back in the 70s, but how I said, just for a short time. I have to say that this Mandoline Cafe is a very good site. Awesome. I will search for some more Infos.
    Thank you again guys

15. The following members say thank you to MandoStuma for this post:

Cando 

Just for fun I did a Google search for "Kasuga mandolin" and got quite a few results including some old threads from Mandolin Cafe, as well as images!

In the electric guitar world, Kasuga is a lesser known but respected Japanese factory. They made some of the upper end Electra and Westbury guitars.