Thread: Gotoch tuner install Question

Default Gotoch tuner install Question

This has probably bee addressed in past posts, but I couldn't seem to find anything.
    My question is this; What is the proper way to install Gotoch tuner strips? Since there is that bushing at the bottom of the post, should a 1/4" drill be used and then the base of the hole be reamed out to clear for the bushing, or should a 7mm bit be used through out the post hole and just ream out for the top bushing.

Thanks for any input.

Default Re: Gotoch tuner install Question

That's the way I would do it. There are threads discussing tuner installation but take a look at the Stewmac tuner Jig. You might get some pointers off the instruction sheet. I'm assuming this is a new build?

https://www.stewmac.com/video-and-id...tructions.html

One past thread
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yes, new build. I have the StewMac Jig and instructions, but don't see anything about Gotoch. I'm going to try different methods and see which works the best for me, unless someone has a better idea.

I've been using a counter-bore ever since that nuisance thing showed up on Gotoh tuners. The situation can be complicated if your peghead is tapered and the holes are drilled square to the face of the peghead, but with a big enough counter-bore it works.

Adrian Minarovic

I always drill one larger diameter hole all through. Mostly 7mm drill that is close to final hole required for GA machines bushings. I make sure the holes are at correct spacing and positions on front of headstock and drill front to back on drill press perpendicular to rear side (though perpendicular to front would be a bit more forgiving for reaming) and then ream the holes slightly for bushings (taking care to cut perpendicular to front so the bushings seat flat on face). You don't need any special jig, just good ruler and sharp awl. Instead of reamer I use old violin pegs covered with strips of sandpaper. Couple turns of the peg and you can press the bushing in.
    After installing the bushings do a dry run and slip tuners in from front of headstock. They should go in freely and without any force just slide in with gravity down till the plate hits the bushings. Then your holes are right. All you need to do next is put them in from back and carefully mark holes for screws with awl making sure the screws won't push the plateto side, they MUST be perfectly centered in the holes and square to plates.
    Adrian

Some additional info, since my method is different from Adrian's.
    I don't use the Gotoh bushings but instead use the thin metal "vintage style" bushings, so the holes are sized for those bushings, and thus are rather small. I drill that size all the way through the peghead, drilling square to the face of the peghead.
    That was all I needed to do until Gotoh (and some others) started putting that little obstacle ring at the base of the tuner posts. Because the peghead taper offsets the posts in the holes I now have to cut a shallow counter-bore in the holes at the back of the peghead so that the tuner plates sit flat against the peghead surface.

Adrian Minarovic

The GA tuners have a spring washer above the plate to hold th epost at some tension that needs som eextra space at bottom as well. I forgot to mention that. I usually just do a finger-turn with round rotary file to create inner chamfer at the bottom of the holes.
    Adrian