Thread: Question for flat top players

Default Question for flat top players

Hey. I recently acquired a Sawchyn Beavertail. I have light strings (.38-.10) on now with pretty low action. I would like to move up to a medium set (.40-.11). Any thoughts about that?
    Northfield NF-5S
    Sawchyn Beaver Tail
    Eastman MD 605
    Eastwood Mandocaster
    Hora Irish Bouzouki

Default Re: Question for flat top players

I like 80/20 bronze strings on oval hole mandolins. I used to run EXP77s (.11-.40) on my Parsons flat top. Despite it having massive X-braces, I did get a partial brace separation at one point after many years. After I got that re-glued, I switched to EJ62s (.10-.34). I think they are more playable, have better tone and volume. Heavier is not always better.

If the question is will the Beavertail handle the heavier strings, you should ask Sawchyn. As far as whether you like them better, try them and see. But I doubt they will sound better. But that is ultimately up to your ear.

Mandolin & Mandola maker

Yep, ask Sawchyn. It really depends on how they are built. The old Gibson army navy's are notorious for top sinkage so light strings only, but the Beavertail is X braced so is different. Mine are light strings only. They may take medium for a while, but long term is risky.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Pretty trivial differences between .40/.38, .10/.11. It’s a modern build by an experienced luthier. Personally I’d just try it. YMMV.
    2009 Eastman 505
    2011 Collings MTO GT
    2008 Toyota Sienna
    2018 Sawchyn mandola

Mandoline or Mandolin: Similar to the lute, but much less artistically valuable....for people who wish to play simple music without much trouble —The Oxford Companion to Music

J74s have 180.7 lbs of tension
    J73s have 155.8 lbs of tension

My Waterloo mandolin was built for J74s. I’m having another flattop built at the moment and specifically requested it be built for medium strings. I’d touch base with Sawchyn and see what he says.

6. The following members say thank you to sgarrity for this post:

I've been very satisfied with the the volume, tone and playability of my flat-top Weber Aspen mandolin set up with light gauge .010 > .038 (per luthier recommendation). I use medium gauge .011 > .040 on my arch-top mandolins.. On my flat-top Flatiron 2M mandola I use use medium gauge octave mandolin strings (.012 > .046) which equate to a light set for a flat-top mandola when tuned CGDA. Conversely, I found my 90s flat-top Trinity College octave mandolin sounds and feels best with light gauge mandola strings (.014 > .049).
    -----------------------
    2020 Eastman MD314 F style oval hole arch-top mandolin
    2013 (?) Eastman MD305 A style arch-top mandolin
    2010 (?) Custom Weber Aspen flat-top mandolin (Circular sound hole w/ Snakehead headstock)
    1995 (?) Trinity College 325 flat-top octave mandolin
    1983 (?) Flatiron 2M flat-top mandola
    1982 Madeira M-10 arch-top mandolin
    2013 Honda CRV - LOL
    Year & make (?) Greek bouzouki
    Last edited by Chompa; Sep-05-2020 at 5:55pm.

Here is a thread that might help:
    https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...-light-strings

My Flat top is a Hodson D'jangolin, never felt a desire to put on thicker strings.
    like this: http://www.emando.com/builders_inactive/Hodson.htm
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgarrity View Post
    I’m having another flattop built at the moment and specifically requested it be built for medium strings.
    Well I for one am intrigued . . .
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    Well I for one am intrigued . . .
    Lawrence Nyberg is building be a "Celtic" flattop. 11.5" wide and 2.75" deep, flamed claro walnut with a cedar top. Definitely different from the rest of the stable. Looking forward to watching it come together.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sgarrity For This Useful Post:

I bought a Beavertail directly from Peter Sawchyn in June and it came with GHS A260 medium/light 11-16-24-38. I asked him if I were to go to mediums would I need to do anything and he said maybe a slight tweak to the truss rod. I've been happy with these strings so that's what I'll keep on them.

Rob

14. The following members say thank you to robw95 for this post:

On all my Army Navy / pancake mandolins (JBouvier, Flatiron, Cripple Creek), I use GHS A240 Ultra Light strings (.009 .013 .020 .032). I play the full fretboard.

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    I bought a Beavertail directly from Peter lSawchyn in June and it came with GHS A260 medium/light 11-16-24-38. I asked him if I were to go to mediums would I need to do anything and he said maybe a slight tweak to the truss rod. I've been happy with these strings so that's what I'll keep on them.
    Interestingly, on all my mandolas (four Flatirons and a few others), I use almost the same string gauges (.011 .015 .024 .038) for CGDA tuning at the longer mandola scale length. After the initial low action set-up, it makes full chords and chord melody playing attainable all the way up even above the 12th fret.

Quote Originally Posted by robw95 View Post
    I bought a Beavertail directly from Peter Sawchyn in June and it came with GHS A260 medium/light 11-16-24-38. I asked him if I were to go to mediums would I need to do anything and he said maybe a slight tweak to the truss rod. I've been happy with these strings so that's what I'll keep on them.

Rob
    Ditto
    Pomeroy F5 2003
    Weber Madison F5 2013
    Weber Sweet Pea travel mando 2006
    Eric Ouren open back banjo
    Bart Reiter open back banjo

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

I used to have a Flatiron 1N. From what I read about that particular instrument, it was made for light strings, so I used the GHS light strings on it. Fast forward to now when I am in the process of my first build, using plans From Terry at Crystal Forrest mandolins to build a pancake mando of the same likeness and I am building it to use light strings... and by that, all I mean is that all the nut slots are cut to fit the sizing listed on the GHS package, I'm not sure how well or how NOT well the structure would handle medium gauge strings as that is outside of my knowledge base.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	91096BF3-61A5-4029-B5D9-8823C48F9D48.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	720.1 KB 
ID:	188539

It is a lovely Torrified Sitka over Mahogany. I am currently just finished with filling the grain with an epoxy filler (PITA) and will be applying the finish in the coming days. I played it in the white and it sounded quite nice!
    aka: Spencer
    Silverangel Econo A #429
    Soliver #001 & #002: A double stack of Pancakes.

Soliver Hand Crafted Mandolins and Mandolin Armrests
    Armrests Here -- Mandolins Here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.” -anonymous

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soliver For This Useful Post:

My flat tops, mandolin & mandolas alike (incl. Sawchyn) are all strung with Thomastiks; but what else is new? They should pay me for all my endorsements on here.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bratsche For This Useful Post: