Thread: Trinity College TM 325

Default Trinity College TM 325

Hi all

My youngest son and I took a socially distanced trip to Eagle Music in Yorkshire on Saturday, to try out some octave mandolins. He’s had my Octave on loan for a while, and decided that he wanted one for himself.

We both tried out 3 instruments - the Eastman MDO 305, the Gold Tone 800 and the Trinity College 325.

We really wanted like the Eastman, as I had a 505 for a few years, and he’s got a killer MD 305, but we weren’t impressed. It was really well made, and beautifully set up, but it was massively lacking that low-end thump, deep voice and overall sustain that’s so typical in an Octave mandolin. Not sure if it’s because of the carved top and f-holes, or due to the thin body, but it just didn’t do it for either of us.

The Gold Tone wasn’t great either - very thuddy, as though the strings were dead (which they weren’t), and just no warmth or resonance. It felt like a heavy, overbuilt instrument, with a really thick top, so it was very quickly destined for the “discard” pile.

Then we tried a Trinity College TM 325. What a difference - like night and day! Massive, rich tone, tons of sustain, and the 20 inch scale length makes the stretches a bit easier too. All solid woods (spruce over maple), with really nice “snowflake” style fret position markers, and a hard case.

It was well set up anyway, but they gave it a final tweak and “fine tune” for us. A very nice instrument for the price, so we took it away. He’s delighted because he’s got a really nice Octave to add to his instrument collection, and I’m happy because I’ve got my own Octave back.

Mine’s a Countryman (I think it’s an old Hohner brand, that’s also re-badged as an Ashbury model). The Trinity College is a lot better to our ears.

Cheers

John

Default Re: Trinity College TM 325

I think it's great that we have a nice selection of well-made, reasonably-priced OMs on the market today. I like Trinity College's instruments (I used to own one fo their mandolas.) After viewing several reviews on Youtube and talking to folks, I decided that the Eastman had the sound and tonal balance I was looking for. Ain't it great that there is something for almost anyone?

Congrats on your son's new OM. He should have lots of fun with it!

3. The following members say thank you to meow-n-dolin for this post:

I find the 20" scale just about perfect for OMs. I had a TM-375 & a TM-275 for little bit & found them to be wonderful for the price.

5. The following members say thank you to urobouros for this post:

Thanks guys.

Meow-n-dolin, we’ve seen loads of great Eastman OM videos too, which is why we were really looking forward to trying one out. Perhaps it was just one of those occasional duds that most manufacturers produce from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny60 View Post
    Thanks guys.

Meow-n-dolin, we’ve seen loads of great Eastman OM videos too, which is why we were really looking forward to trying one out. Perhaps it was just one of those occasional duds that most manufacturers produce from time to time.
    Perhaps. Everyone turns out a dud now and then.

But it might just be what someone thinks a OM should sound like. I have a friend who loves the Pono OMs. But, the only other instrument he plays is a guitar (of which he has several -- Martins and Taylors.) I think that the more "rounded" sound of a flat-top just appeals to him.

For me, I use the OM more like a clawhammer banjo player might use it -- either when accompanying or soloing, wherein I utilize a lot of double and triple-stops, cross-picking, even on fiddle-tunes, when I can get away with it. Sometimes, I want a bigger, deeper sound, which is why I also have a mandocello. Between the two, my guitar gets a little lonely.

As I mentioned, I used to have a Trinity mandola, and I also had a Eastman Mandola -- the 815, The Trinity was better-suited to folk music and old-time stuff, while the Eastman was my go-to for swing and bluegrass.

Again, I am sure your son is going to have a lot of fun

Good luck to you!

Glad you were able to pick up the Trinity College TM-325. It has a lovely tone and it's very easy on the eyes, as well. I snatched one up from The Mandolin Store about 4 weeks ago and it's a joy to play. Happy picking on your new baby.
    "If your memories exceed your dreams, you have begun to die." - Anonymous

I like Trinity OMs. They look great, they are easy to play and they have a nice balanced sound.

They are a different beast than a longer scale OM, though. My Mendel 23.75" scale has incredibly powerful bass and mid ranges that you won't get on the Trinity. But not everyone wants that. I wish I had both.

But enjoy. They are a great value.

Just thank the mandolin deities, that you could find a dealer with three octave mandolins to test-drive. There are whole sub-continents where you can hardly find any. They're inching up in popularity, but I could drive for a couple days here in the US before I found a store that stocked more than one.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allenhopkins For This Useful Post: